Inmotion CEO Bob Yan steps down

mrelwood

Completely out of the blue for me, Bob Yan, the current CEO of Inmotion announced this today on Inmotion Global’s official Facebook channel:

IMG_4970.jpeg

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

what does this all mean ?

his dialogue about the changes to the inmotion euc lineup,... was this his idea (which would mean essentially that its now toast) or is it an idea created by the whole group of owners of the inmotion company (which could mean its still going forward,..) ???

wtf...

• Upvote 2

He seemed pretty active with the community lately so this was definitely sudden. I do wonder what this means for the company moving forward

• Upvote 1

im abit frustrated currently, and im just about to pull the trigger on getting a Patton (ride-one is getting their shipment of Pattons this week...).  if Inmotion really valued their electric unicycle customers,  they would damn well issue a statement to maintain customer confidence and outline what the hell they are going to do for the remainder of 2023.  Inmotion should really put some thought right now in looking after their current euc customer base and tell us their plans about moving forward and whether or not they plan to accomplish what mr. yan proposed in his various little talks with various reviewers.  i am just so angry cause of the lack of response from inmotion, ...

• Like 1

I'm really curious about why he stepped down. The first thing that makes sense to me would be that Inmotion  can't really afford to pay Mr. Yan his CEO salary and be the innovative leader. Also lack of quality control.

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, bpong said:

im abit frustrated currently, and im just about to pull the trigger on getting a Patton

Wouldn’t your frustration with inmotion make you pull harder?

• Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 1:21 PM, Forwardnbak said:

i knew and i was sad. It’s brought me down for a little while. They knew and needed it quiet. 

Why? Why? Why?

It's out there now, so... more details and speculation, please!

What a spectacular lack of detail that announcement contained. Grrrrr.

• Like 1

For a CEO to step down (as suddenly it seems) there are a number of reasons... change in company strategy, performance issues, board disagreements, or a merger or acquisition.

Given the disastrous V12 performance issues, and lackluster sales of the underwhelming V13, I have to speculate it's performance issues, and maybe a little of everything else.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

Given the disastrous V12 performance issues,

I believe the V12 and the early inception of the V13 came before Bob.

However, the V13 was developed under Bob's watch.

I believe while Bob was focusing on build quality and safety, with good performance, Leaper Kim primarily focused on suspension and good build quality. 

Like I said, Bob is more of a longer-term type of guy. Not all the benefits will come at first. But he would have a solid base to build from.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

and lackluster sales of the underwhelming V13, I have to speculate it's performance issues, and maybe a little of everything else.

Did the v13 not sell well? I know a few local riders that have them and love this wheel. I haven’t looked at any actual market figures though, just anecdotal. 

Edited by Hellkitten
  • Like 1

Are there any real sources for sales figures from any or all of the EUC manufacturers? All this "poor sales" talk is just talk unless there are actual numbers. On several retailers' websites, the V13 has been in and out of the top 5 best sellers at times. Never number one, but not last.

And, for example, at Eevees, the V11 seems to live at number one continuously.

Both versions of the V12 are in the top ten consistently at several retailers.

Was it an issue of objectively poor sales or, maybe more likely, of missed sales projections

Has anyone ever made an educated estimate of the annual worldwide market for EUC sales? Thousands? Tens of thousands?

I realize private companies don't have to publish numbers, but isn't there an IAED or something? (International Association of EUC Dealers). :rolleyes:

Doesn't the industry realize that we will whine and cry and make up numbers in the face of an information void?

:D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I checked the corporate website https://inmotionworld.com/

which was difficult to find and also EUCO https://www.myinmotion.com/

which was easier to find than the corporate site, lol, it always has been. Neither web site really says anything. Segway has been getting into robotics https://robotics.segway.com/ , so maybe Inmotion is looking for a robotics type CEO now? Just a guess.