Ultimate EUC that can change the world.

dongsoo

2 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Prosecuting only after an incident isn’t a solution to make the society run smoothly. We needs laws and rules to limit our actions because individuals are usually not capable of taking everything in consideration themselves.

The culture where I live considers it to be common sense to be considerate safe and aware of your surroundings so PEV laws are moot. Children are raised to take that into consideration. I don't want to have to follow some kind of international law including Chinese Law just to ride my EUC here in the United States. Nobody else here want's that either.

1 minute ago, earthtwin said:

The culture where I live considers it to be common sense to be considerate safe and aware of your surroundings

How is that working so far? Any teenagers messing around on rental scooters, drunk people on any vehicle, etc?

1 minute ago, earthtwin said:

I don't want

That much is clear. Thinking about what an individual wants rarely helps in seeing the bigger picture though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrelwood said:

How is that working so far? Any teenagers messing around on rental scooters, drunk people on any vehicle, etc?

Yes, of course, but that's going to happen anyway and there's already laws against that type of behavior ie. Vandalism and Reckless endangerment. I respect your culture and your opinions. I understand that we have different norms and societal issues.

9 minutes ago, earthtwin said:

Yes, of course

Doesn’t that mean that

18 minutes ago, earthtwin said:

The culture where I live considers it to be common sense to be considerate safe and aware of your surroundings

18 minutes ago, earthtwin said:

Children are raised to take that into consideration.

Isn’t really working as well as one would hope?

but that's going to happen anyway

Do you think that drivers’ license tests for cars is unnecessary?

I understand that we have different norms and societal issues.

I’m sure we do, not that I’ve mentioned what they are for us. But humans are still humans everywhere, so there’s a lot in common in how they behave as a mass in western countries.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mono said:

Racing cyclists for sure, casual cyclists go rarely faster than 25km/h, even those with diminishing electric assistance.

From my experience around here, commuter cyclists, the ones who ride to work everyday, most of them will ride faster than 25 km/h on level ground.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, winterwheel said:

Cyclists must be slower in your part of the world.

The studies I have seen measured, to my surprise, almost exactly the same speed in some US city and some European city, I can't remember which cities though (I believe the US city was either Portland or Seattle).

11 hours ago, techyiam said:

From my experience around here, commuter cyclists, the ones who ride to work everyday, most of them will ride faster than 25 km/h on level ground.

I suspect that only a small percentage of people uses the bicycle where you are around and we could argue that most of them don't qualify as casual cyclists (it's also arguably hard to say for sure how fast someone is going without taking actual measurements). If only 2% of the population uses a bicycle regularly, I can see that this is a highly selected subgroup with considerably above average speeds and many of them will use A-to-B cycling also as a fitness training.

The world of casual cycling where a larger and gender balanced fraction of the population uses bicycles regularly, say like 15%-50%, is a different world where, to all I know, 25km/h on level ground is rather the exception than the rule.

14 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Prosecuting only after an incident isn’t a solution to make the society run smoothly.

that can't be said often enough

• Like 1

14 hours ago, earthtwin said:

The culture where I live considers it to be common sense to be considerate safe and aware of your surroundings so PEV laws are moot. Children are raised to take that into consideration.

I wonder, did you actually check the death toll by traffic on children or pedestrians in the US compared to other countries or cultures?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mono said:

The world of casual cycling where a larger and gender balanced fraction of the population uses bicycles regularly, say like 15%-50%, is a different world where, to all I know, 25km/h on level ground is rather the exception than the rule.

Around here-at least in the areas where I ride-over the last three years, I noticed there are now more electric scooters on the road, a few more e-bikes, and about the same number electric wheels, maybe even fewer. By far the most dominant are non-motorized bicycles.

I don't see many bicycles, except during rush hour. Even then are only in the warmer months. And these folks don't ride at a maximum speed of 25 km/h.

The e-bike riders for the most part are not the fastest riders. Plenty of bicycles go at least as fast.

I find most of the slow riders (<25 km/h) are in the parks. 

Oh, some scooters goes 25 km/h. That's because the cheap e-scooters lack battery and motor power, and that's the law.

On 5/31/2023 at 11:33 PM, dongsoo said:

...Ok. In my opinion, the ideal euc is not that much different from inmotion v5f in both dimensions and weight.

...Thank u for reading.

And please please make me a v5f like EUC with thicker tire and two swappable 160wh, total 320wh EUC, so I can explore this whole globe with it 

I had the same feelings for my Ninebot One E+ for several years, which is a similar wheel with similar design and specs. The E+, however, could be easily modded for hot-swapping batteries. It was really awesome for its time but carrying spare batteries in a backpack becomes tiresome after a few years. Today's wheels have batteries that are just too heavy and too large to make swapping practical in terms of cost, weight, size, and safety.

I would strongly encourage you to try the MCM5v2; it's one zippy little wheel. As @mrelwood pointed out its stock 2.5" tire hits the sweet spot. It can be easily modded to accommodate a 2.75-3" tire as several others have done. It can still be found with 460wh or 750-850wh battery configs. The headlight is weak and the shell is pure Gotway, but it performs far better than the V5f and the Ninebot Ones.

Edited by litewave
  • Upvote 1

Honestly the footprint of the A2 looks to be the perfect size to start with- A 10" rim (15" wheel) has a lot of potential as a robust & portable PEV, it just needs a few enthusiast bells and whistles to make it exciting enough to always have on hand.

As for a feature to change the world, someone needs to figure out how to implement a hands-free dismount (OW-esque) = a way to step off of an EUC and have it descend onto its kickstand without having to push a button. For those instances that you have both hands holding things that you don't particularly want to  place on the ground.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slippyfeet said:

As for a feature to change the world, someone needs to figure out how to implement a hands-free dismount (OW-esque) = a way to step off of an EUC and have it descend onto its kickstand without having to push a button.

I have never thought that a feature like that could be useful, nor have I had anyone ask for it in the 6 years I’ve been around. So it might not be globally as important of a feature than it might be for you.

I would’ve never even parked the wheel anywhere you can directly ride to without hand contact and leave it there on it’s stand. Except maybe when going home for opening the door. But even then I’d have to take my key with a hand, so I need a free hand anyway.

Where exactly would you use a feature like that?

4 hours ago, slippyfeet said:

Honestly the footprint of the A2 looks to be the perfect size to start with- A 10" rim (15" wheel) has a lot of potential as a robust & portable PEV

just FTR, I think the A2 has the same rim diameter as the V5F (10" = 254mm which is also denoted as 14" in the bicycle world of tire sizes). The A2 has a wider (3") and tubeless tire, which is probably a step in the right direction, unless the tire is much more rigid than those commonly used for bicycles.

4 hours ago, slippyfeet said:

As for a feature to change the world, someone needs to figure out how to implement a hands-free dismount (OW-esque) = a way to step off of an EUC and have it descend onto its kickstand without having to push a button. For those instances that you have both hands holding things that you don't particularly want to  place on the ground.

As many small wheels have no (proper) kickstand to begin with... Personally, I don't need or miss a kickstand and would prefer 200g less weight over a kickstand.

With some practice you can use your feet to lay the wheel on its side or against a wall when you have no free hands to park it properly (and some wheels will then also turn off after a few minutes).

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I have never thought that a feature like that could be useful, nor have I had anyone ask for it in the 6 years I’ve been around. So it might not be globally as important of a feature than it might be for you.

I would’ve never even parked the wheel anywhere you can directly ride to without hand contact and leave it there on it’s stand. Except maybe when going home for opening the door. But even then I’d have to take my key with a hand, so I need a free hand anyway.

Where exactly would you use a feature like that?

There's a good samaritan locally here that picks up roadside litter on a OW and from the glimpses I've seen its a smooth transition from dismounting, picking up trash and getting back on constantly. I use my mten4 to take out multiple 30gal. bags of trash of trash to our bin at work and I usually just resort to chucking it on its side to get off.  

But otherwise it would definitely be style points when pulling up to gatherings. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.

I would like to answer all of them but let me try with this one post.

First of all, under current airline law, u can take TWO 160wh battery packs in ur carry on bag.

v5f has 320wh, so with current tech, u can make two battery pack 320wh euc.

i know v5f is considered beginners euc, but I found it is really enough for practical purposes.

What I am saying is more speed, suspension, and seat are preferred, but those factors are not must-haves.

EUC fundamentally have this problem of being one wheel that make it more dangerous than bicycle type two wheeled vehicle.

EUC can never replace two wheeled vehicles in terms of safety.

I would never cruise euc for very long travel. Bike type vehicle simply is more comfortable and safe.

U have to realize that for general public to use, safety is the most concern.

And yeah, on the other hands, even at more than 5mph, EUC can be dangerous if u lose control, but I think with proper technique, it can be very safe.

walk < bicycle < low speed euc < car < motoycycle < high speed euc is the most dangerous.

The truth is car is more dangerous than low speed euc. 

If I have a teen offspring I would feel more safe buying him/her an EUC than a car. ( and teach them proper techniques to ride one )

And if general public realize that they can be more safe using EUC than 2000lbs vehicle they r driving, this will really solve world’s greatest problem of nuclear power plants.

One 100w solar panel is enough to power this thing.

Imagine euc world with all these cheap public transportation u can hop onto.

No traffic accidents deaths, no car insurance, no worry about gas, no worry about having smog check, reducing area of roads full of cancer making dusts. Better, greener world for all life forms where even childrens can play on the streets.

This is evolution + revolution. man. ;)

Edited by dongsoo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@dongsoo I tend to agree with you and I hate driving around when I could be riding my EUC around, but I don't like to feel like I have to ride my EUC to get somewhere just for transportation sake. To solve the problem of pollution via the internal combustion engine we need to improve the grid and build community hub centers around all the communities. So, like you know how when you drive around town there are different neighborhoods? Let each neighborhood be more self sufficient in terms of meeting it's employment, shopping, and social needs without driving out of the community.

Incidentally, one of the things I love about riding my EUC is that riding around gets me out and about in different communities. I rode through the most affluent community last week and I met new people in a different social circle other than my own.

Edited by earthtwin
more info

i still tend to disagree with the idea of taking euc's on to the plains.. but i'm not going to rant about that :)

When A2 was announced I really did see a lot of potential with it. Purely because of the form factor. As it stands out it have two major flaws.

1 no trolley handle. - how are you suppose to use this to do your shopping? leave it outside? 

2 begode.. - one one hand i do love the simplicity from begode, on the other hand the device for the masses needs to be built better.. there are no tilt backs, no proper speed limits. I get ticked off when I see some irresponsible sellers advertising Mten4 as 40 or even 50 kmh wheel online. Sure it can get up to that speeds because begode have total disregard to rider safety, but is this a good wheel to buy for your niece or nephew? 

After I sold my v10f I found myself quite a few times wishing i had a small EUC now because i needed to go quicky to the shop 0.5km away. Sure it's walking distance but sometimes i'm just lazy lol. And bringing a v11 or t4 downstairs just to run a small errant is to much work :)

A chubby V5f with 3" tire and IM safety would actually make a lot of sense! Actually made by ninebot! Just don't make it cost more than 750 euro.. why do we have scooters that everyone can buy cheap and they go 25kmh, but euc's start close to a thousand? I have seen so many half drunk middle aged men with flipflops and beer guts riding scooters.. people you can tell are still half drunk since last week.. I guess it's better than some of them actually getting behind the wheel of the car.. sorry i'm rambling off topic but just pointing out accessibility of scooter vs euc... 

The EUC that would change the world would have to be for the masses.  As it stands they are too difficult to learn for an average person. 

It would need cameras looking at the rider to counter balance side to side so in effect a floating stable platform.  Just tell it where you want to go and it takes you there without falling off. 

I've been thinking that if you want to change the world with a euc you would build an autonomous one with a box/platform on top for cargo as well as some form of extendable support that keeps it balanced when stopped at an intersection.

Just by it being an euc its already the most energy efficient form of motorised transport ever invented. The problem with the learning curve being too steep for most humans is a non-issue for a machine.

• Upvote 2

Surely the EUC 'to change the world' was the first one that made it to market, which would be the Solowheel as I recall ?!

That did change the world already by being the template everyone else followed and has built upon ever since !

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Cerbera said:

That did change the world already by being the template everyone else followed and has built upon ever since !

To claimed that electric wheels changed the world would require a much larger ridership, I would say.

I think it is now too early to make that claim. We can say the invention of the bicycle changed the world for personal transportation.

Perhaps the potential for a pev's to change world is possible. However, I don't think we know what that specific device is going to be.

Edited by techyiam
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, techyiam said:

To claimed that electric wheels changed the world would require a much larger ridership, I would say.

I think it is now too early to make that claim. We can say the invention of the bicycle changed the world for personal transportation.

Perhaps the potential for a pev's to change world is possible. However, I don't think we know what that specific device is going to be.

I adore the unique minimal form factor of the EUC and really wouldn't want to live without ever again. Yet it seems safe to predict that the electric wheel will never be a game changer in a world where bicycles, e-bicycles and kickscooters are already commonplace, other than in the sense that the snowboard was a game changer in the world were skiing was already commonplace.

• Like 2