Trail Karen's

I would first like to start off by saying that when i ride on shared paths or around any people, i use the utmost respect and caution. Me and my wife ride state forest trails a lot and for the most part the people we encounter are happy to share the trail with us and even curious about the EUC.  My wife who is a cancer survivor uses an e-bike to get exercise because she only was left with one lung and i use my EUC. Every now and then we encounter what i would consider a "trail Karen" who feels like we shouldn't be enjoying nature and the trails because we are not doing it the way they deem we should be. Most of the time they will just ignore us saying hi to them as we pass. And we always pass at walking speed, never any faster. But sometimes someone will pipe up and say " there is not supposed to be any motorized vehicles on these paths"  which is not true. 4 wheeler's and motorcycles are banned from them. So i usually just nicely inform them they are incorrect and go on my way. Other times we have gotten the old "isn't that cheating?" to which i usually respond with "the contest was who can ride these paths on one wheel, it looks to me like you are cheating." Curious to know if anyone else has encountered this and what their responses are.

I'm probably at somewhere around 1500 km's of trail riding now, and I've only once gotten the "that's not allowed here". Very old couple looking pretty frail, maybe even upper 80s on an AZ hiking/biking trail. Somewhat understandable from their perspective, any kind of accident or injury could be it. Going super slow when passing for courtesy also gives people the chance to make these kinds of quips. For me the mentality is usually "OK" and continue riding without problems.

I haven't yet had anyone act aggressive and/or annoying enough to bother with witticisms. From a mostly singletrack perspective, often if people say anything it's either exclamations of encouragement or some amount of being impressed which is nice to hear when it happens.

Anyway, it's great you guys can still enjoy the outdoors together this way.

Edited by Vanturion
  • Like 2

I have found that most hikers are welcoming so long as you are respectable on the trails (Like the OP). I have run into several issues with the equestrian crowd though. Maybe they are aggressive because they think the wheel will spoke their horses. Kind of a lose/lose situation as I do not want to get into a confrontation and inadvertently spook the horse.

My current solution is to only ride trails on the weekdays. The weekend crowds can be Karenish so I stopped showing up. Plus their are less Rangers out during the week (I avoid them like the plague). 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

inadvertently spook the horse

There is an occasional horse or 2 on these trails as well and as soon as we see them we move over and stop immediately. The last thing i want to do is spook a horse so that has always been my practice, even on a bicycle. The riders are usually thankful thus far, we usually say hi and have not had any problem with them. It's funny i noticed as @Vanturion said, usually it's the older crowd that is a little more "karenish". The younger people seem a little more accepting i think.

I've had 95% positive interactions across my thousands of miles on trails, with the only real notable poor experiences coming from salty old mtb guys who say "motorized vehicles aren't allowed" as they putt along on an ebike. As far as horses go, I always just politely stop and walk by (if I'm behind them) or pull over and let them pass (if they are coming towards me). Every single one of the equestrian riders I've encountered have always been thankful for the respect and return it in kind. This is how it usually goes: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Whalesmash said:

salty old mtb guys

Yeah, at one specific park I ride there is a huge population of MTB riders who think that they own the place. They go way too fast and have no respect for signalling or calling out if they are going to pass you. And if they happen to crash it always the other party's fault. The irony is that it makes me look very mild mannered and polite on my EUC as I go at a reasonable pace and slow down when I see hikers, dogs, etc..  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Other times we have gotten the old "isn't that cheating?"

I find that is rarely meant passive-aggressively, so I always respond to it in relatively good humour, usually agreeing with them, and showing myself to be exceptionally pleased about it :)

Having been riding for so long now I must confess to having a few 'default' phrases to deploy in response to the things people tend to say at me as I am going past...

'Dangerous!' = 'Not under the feet of experts', or 'Yes, but only to me'...

'Illegal!' = 'Yes, but incorrectly so !' or 'Yes, I'm working on changing that !'

'Do a wheelie!' = Yes, I'm doing one now, can't you tell ?!'

'You've forgotten the other wheel' = 'Oh so I have - thought it felt weird !'

etc etc...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Whalesmash said:

This is how it usually goes:

Very nice, great trails and savage riding seated through them. +1 Nice video, thanks for sharing.

I had the best comment from an equestrian today as a matter of fact. Me and my wife pulled over as they passed and the older woman in the back said "we love sharing the trails with you." with a smile and not being sarcastic.

6 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I always respond to it in relatively good humour,

i do as well, the latter was my most recent phrase, usually it's something like "not unless it's a contest" with a smile....:)

i do enjoy your responses though. it's interesting to see how people respond. some just can't process it until your past. They have that confused look..lol

i have seen this kind of behavior occasionally while using the bike paths in toronto.  it ranges from those fashionably dressed senior riders of road bikes who ride with alot of verbal attitude (worse case scenario) to those cyclists who find that pev'rs are 'cheating' as you have mentioned.

to keep it simple and well,  simpler,  my current response is "Have a nice day, and take care".  to spend any more time dignifying their behavior towards me would be giving their statement some kind of validity.  no, no, no, ...  not me.

i just keep moving forward and let them brew in their own indignity.  i just want to continue experiencing the pleasant ride and the wonderful company i keep.  im not here to change attitudes,  and im not here to push my attitude on others either, ...

• Like 1

I met a classical Trail Karen--long grey hair, in her 60s, drab clothes--on an ocean trail in Mendocino. She didn't know shit about EUC and said "Oh, I work for the city but I won't report you for riding your scooter here, but Segways are ok because they have handles." I said to myself "you stupid bitch, don't you know my EUC has a handle too!" I passed by ranger who didn't say a word. She has to open her stupid bad mouth. Down with Trail Karen! 

On 5/12/2023 at 9:00 AM, Punxatawneyjoe said:

I would first like to start off by saying that when i ride on shared paths or around any people, i use the utmost respect and caution. Me and my wife ride state forest trails a lot and for the most part the people we encounter are happy to share the trail with us and even curious about the EUC.  My wife who is a cancer survivor uses an e-bike to get exercise because she only was left with one lung and i use my EUC. Every now and then we encounter what i would consider a "trail Karen" who feels like we shouldn't be enjoying nature and the trails because we are not doing it the way they deem we should be. Most of the time they will just ignore us saying hi to them as we pass. And we always pass at walking speed, never any faster. But sometimes someone will pipe up and say " there is not supposed to be any motorized vehicles on these paths"  which is not true. 4 wheeler's and motorcycles are banned from them. So i usually just nicely inform them they are incorrect and go on my way. Other times we have gotten the old "isn't that cheating?" to which i usually respond with "the contest was who can ride these paths on one wheel, it looks to me like you are cheating." Curious to know if anyone else has encountered this and what their responses are.

Q: why you on a Bike trail? We don’t ride our cycles in shopping malls or sidewalks!

I despise the Karens walking 3 abreast on the Bike trails, chatting away, and NEVER respond when you yell out "On Your Left" they are so enchanted with their conversation, they are oblivious to anything else. 

I was on a bike path, and parents were allowing children to draw with chalk on the path, even though unused basketball courts were nearby.  But if you ride an E-Bike or EUC? They call the cops!

5 hours ago, GothamMike said:

why you on a Bike trail?

It's not specifically a bike trail, it has many signs explaining its a "shared" trail. and i also enjoy off road riding and  am lucky enough to be close to many state forest trails where it is not illegal to ride electric bikes as well as other pev's. At least that is what i am told by the forest rangers we have asked. I like to get out an enjoy nature and it's a great way for me and my wife to do that. I would say 98% of people we meet on the trails are great. The Trail Karen is few and far between thankfully.

• Like 1