Anybody have upper body protection that is low profile and good for hot weather?

I might be asking for the impossible here but I would love some upper body (chest, back, elbows, shoulders) protection that can be worn in hot weather under a long sleeve t-shirt. I'll probably need to size up the shirt which is okay. This is the closest that I've found. Doesn't need to be CE rated but that would be a plus!

image.png.2a9e5dff8cfa4137952539871a6b2568.png

https://www.amazon.com/Leatt-Airflex-Stealth-Protector-172-178cm/dp/B07XVPMXJC/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2P46YA5AEM9F8&keywords=motocross+body+protector&qid=1683490463&sprefix=motorcross+body+protector%2Caps%2C90&sr=8-4

Edited by I_Must_Bust
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, I_Must_Bust said:

I might be asking for the impossible here but I would love some upper body (chest, back, elbows, shoulders) protection that can be worn in hot weather under a long sleeve t-shirt. I'll probably need to size up the shirt which is okay. This is the closest that I've found.

image.png.2a9e5dff8cfa4137952539871a6b2568.png

https://www.amazon.com/Leatt-Airflex-Stealth-Protector-172-178cm/dp/B07XVPMXJC/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2P46YA5AEM9F8&keywords=motocross+body+protector&qid=1683490463&sprefix=motorcross+body+protector%2Caps%2C90&sr=8-4

I wear a motorcycle jacket in colder weather. But as the weather heats up I just wear elbow pads and knee/shin guards with metal on them because I feel like metal will protect me better than plastic. Oh and I also have an armored back pack.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, onewheelkoregro said:

I wear a motorcycle jacket in colder weather. But as the weather heats up I just wear elbow pads and knee/shin guards with metal on them because I feel like metal will protect me better than plastic. Oh and I also have an armored back pack.

Yeah, this is the same thing that I do. Kevlar moto hoodie with elbows, shoulders and back pro plus kevlar-lined jeans with hip and knee protection when it's under 70F and only elbow, knee, and wrist protection in hot weather. Worried about my back and shoulders in the hot weather gear a bit though.

Edited by I_Must_Bust
  • Like 3

Maybe these are good alternatives? They seem to have a larger profile though. Essentially what I'm looking for is a "stealth" protector. I don't want to look like a stormtrooper and freak out people that I pass when I'm riding at walking pace on sidewalks, but I also want to be protected in crashes at around 30mph.

https://www.amazon.com/Alpinestars-Bionic-Protection-Jacket-Medium/dp/B07GZWDB3N/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2595OXVK49A54&keywords=Alpinestars%2BBionic%2BPro%2BJacket&qid=1683492804&sprefix=alpinestars%2Bbionic%2Bpro%2Bjacket%2Caps%2C161&sr=8-4&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Racing-Titan-Sport-Jacket/dp/B07VJKCSGL/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3SMYP4QVUR0KC&keywords=Fox+Racing+Titan+Sport+Jacket&qid=1683492844&sprefix=fox+racing+titan+sport+jacket%2Caps%2C93&sr=8-1

• Like 1

Personally I’d get one of the vests you can toss over a sweater/t-shirt/jacket then an actual armoured shirt. 

I’ve always bought gear for whatever sport I’m doing based on if I’d actually wear it and how difficult it is to put on. Those body suit shirts I’m sure are amazing but not a chance I’d put that on go for a rip it would get old fast. maybe a spirited trail ride where I’m looking for maximum protection.  

I wear Alpinestars A-6 underneath a jacket, it's well ventilated and best of all comes in a size that fits someone with a beer gut. Only took off the shoulderpads as the velcro is annoying to fasten. A-10 is more expensive and perhaps more protective, and has better fastening for its shoulder pads.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Necro’ing this thread but I used to use the shirt you’ve listed in the OP until it got torn up recently in a cut-out. It certainly works and having shoulder pads is nice, but is going to be inferior to a motorcycle jacket in terms of abrasion resistance and impact protection. It’s CE level 1 which is already great over no rating, the integrated back protector has a rated pad and an extra velcro piece that extends up to get almost full back coverage. Downside is these pads aren’t a super standard form factor and may not be upgradable.

What happened in my crash was I ended up doing a protracted somersault where after bouncing off my knees and arms I ground along the tarmac with the back of my helmet and a shoulder. The shirt definitely saved me from much more severe road rash over my shoulder, but the neck seam tore a bit and the retaining cloth over the pad tore up to the point where I’d no longer be as confident in it holding up. It certainly did its job and I’m satisfied in that I couldn’t have really expected better, but because the shirt isn’t rigid by design the pad slipped enough to give me road rash.

It certainly was a big plus for 35C+ weather and all, just wanted to share my experiences and some caveats.

Edited by Flygonial
i called the shirt a jacket lol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

a simple tactical vest with EVA inserts front and back.  very light and covers only the back and front.  add a pair of full coverage elbow pads and perhaps a pair of leather braces to protect your forearms from a massive scrape (which i have experienced) and you have enuf protection but there is exposed areas for adequate ventilation.

Edited by bpong
added more equipment options...
  • Like 1

Hockey elbow pads have great coverage for the forearm and are at least as durable as ones designed for skaters.

On 8/12/2023 at 10:26 AM, bpong said:

a simple tactical vest with EVA inserts front and back.  very light and covers only the back and front.  add a pair of full coverage elbow pads and perhaps a pair of leather braces to protect your forearms from a massive scrape (which i have experienced) and you have enuf protection but there is exposed areas for adequate ventilation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, moarmoto said:

Tips for hot weather.

If you don't wear an MC jacket, and just have a thin underlayer with armour over the top, dampen the underlayer before you put it on. That makes riding in 29 degree heat vastly more tolerable as long as you keep moving ! Also, if you have the helmet options, ride with main visor up for excellent airflow, but sun visor down to keep insects out of your eyes...

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

i wonderif this would work down here in summer. legs are nbd. up top is where cooling underneath armor is needed.

https://www.scheels.com/p/adult-alphacool-7v-circulatory-cooling-system-vest/675595-AC-CCV-7V.html

haha, probably try this first.

https://a.co/d/cYlqD7f

Edited by novazeus

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/12/2024 at 7:30 PM, novazeus said:

i wonderif this would work down here in summer. legs are nbd. up top is where cooling underneath armor is needed.

https://www.scheels.com/p/adult-alphacool-7v-circulatory-cooling-system-vest/675595-AC-CCV-7V.html

haha, probably try this first.

https://a.co/d/cYlqD7f

Ha, I have it easier than you in the summer and I'm still overheating on hot and humid days in CT. Winters are a different story. I have some fleece lined boots and wool socks and the wind still ends up freezing my toes after riding at 25-30mph for a little while! And that's to say nothing of the worried of damage and corrosion caused by road salts.

I might give that cheap one a go. Does the expensive one come with a radiator and fan or something or is it just relying on the thermal mass of the water to keep you cool? Maybe the water in the pack can stay cool for long enough that you don't need to worry too much on a normal-length ride.

On 9/7/2023 at 3:18 PM, moarmoto said:

Tips for hot weather.

If you wear motorcycle jacket, wear sweat wicking long sleeve shirt underneath. You may sweat but as soon as you start moving, with jacket that has good ventilation, sweat evaporates and you cool down so much.

I always wear leather motorcycle jacket on my motorcycle even in blazing hot summer. The underlayer is so nice with that combo.

Nice, this should work even better with my mesh jacket. Not sure how I've never thought of that!

• 1 month later...

I recently upgraded my 15 yr old mesh moto jacket for a more modern one.  Some of the newer CE rated armor is difficult to tell you are even wearing it.  Air flow can be quite good.  I would highly recommend a mesh moto jacket with a quick dry long sleeve shirt under it as a previous commentor has said.  The mesh jacket can get warm if you stop for a while, but it is very easy to take off if you will be stopped for very long.  When moving the evaporative cooling is very effective.  I have occassionally been a little cool riding down a shady section of road after having been stopped for a while on a mid-90F day.

It is easy to geta Class A jacket with CE 1 in the shoulders, elbows,and back at a very reasonable price point.  Upping to CE Level 2 is a little more, but still can be very reasonable.  There are options for Class AA jackets with CE2 armor for around $500 USD if I recall correctly.  This is vastly more protective than the other options listed above.

3 hours ago, Rollin-on-1 said:

I recently upgraded my 15 yr old mesh moto jacket for a more modern one.  Some of the newer CE rated armor is difficult to tell you are even wearing it.  Air flow can be quite good.  I would highly recommend a mesh moto jacket with a quick dry long sleeve shirt under it as a previous commentor has said.  The mesh jacket can get warm if you stop for a while, but it is very easy to take off if you will be stopped for very long.  When moving the evaporative cooling is very effective.  I have occassionally been a little cool riding down a shady section of road after having been stopped for a while on a mid-90F day.

It is easy to geta Class A jacket with CE 1 in the shoulders, elbows,and back at a very reasonable price point.  Upping to CE Level 2 is a little more, but still can be very reasonable.  There are options for Class AA jackets with CE2 armor for around $500 USD if I recall correctly.  This is vastly more protective than the other options listed above.

Speak the name/model lol

53 minutes ago, Funky said:

I got T-shirt, shorts and sandals. Does it count? 

Well it's certainly low profile and good in the heat...

We need those shields they have in Dune, then you could do naturist riding if you liked ! Come on scientists ! (demo units to YourAubsome) ;)

Edited by Cerbera
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Well it's certainly low profile and good in the heat...

We need those shields they have in Dune, then you could do naturist riding if you liked ! Come on scientists ! (demo units to YourAubsome) ;)

Not far away when riding on beach.. Swim trunks on and you're set. 

FYI - I wasn't joking. That's my Summer setup. 

Edited by Funky

10 hours ago, Milordas said:

Speak the name/model lol

The one I recently bought is an Alpinestars T-GP + R V3 Air Jacket.  It was on closout since the V4 dropped.  The one I got had just arrived at the store but it was the previous model, so it was discounted.  

The Alpinestars Nucleon armour is very flexible and light weight.

Edited by Rollin-on-1

rode my s22 pro around the ranch today.

from the waist up, only a tsg pass helmet.

below the waist, leatt knee guards over weight lifter shin guards. and demon padded shorts always. then mte 2 boa vans high tops.

that’s it!

it’s only march and i thought i might die out there.

at least i’m not riding naked on my cheese grater road. not much anyway. my grass is all dead and i can’t see my paths so i have to go slow.

the lynx is coming just in time.

C023CEB6-0A36-41B1-A000-AD1E3F4D8689.thumb.png.39c726ae08789fccb56d6fee4450a663.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2023 at 5:10 AM, zaft said:

Check out the Knox Urbane Pro MK3, has armor including a chest option and it’s designed to be worn alone for hotter days or with other Knox jackets.

I have and love this jacket/shirt. The back and chest pads don't vent that great compared to my Alpinestars A-10 V2 but it fits nice and snug like a shirt and it doesn't look like you're cosplaying as a sci-fi trooper. So I often either don't have back or chest protection when it's very hot/humid in FL, or throw the A-10 V2 over the jacket because it vents better and you get hard armor for better protection. You also get great ventilation, abrasion resistance, and level 2 pads so this motorcycle gear is excellent for euc IMO. 

• Like 2