Increasing skill by wearing weights

I think I'm going to get some ankle weights and wrist weights and put some weight in a back pack, get used to riding with the weights and then see if I can increase my skills without the weights. Has anybody ever tried this?

5 minutes ago, earthtwin said:

I hope it will be like jogging with weights, jumping with weights. Then take the weights off and be able to jump higher.

Even if the weight you add is perfectly balanced you are then developing the skills and lean angles you need to manage those levels of weight. And that will be different once the weights aren't there, so I'd worry you are merely training yourself in riding under conditions that will ultimately be different, which seems... self-defeating ! Get stronger and better by riding more, and doing more difficult terrain, which as pointed out, is the off-road stuff. if you want to be stronger faster, make that off-roading mainly uphill !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Naysayers, I ask chatgpt:

How can wrist weights, ankle weights and belt weights help increase my strength and balance?

ChatGPT

Wrist weights, ankle weights, and belt weights are all types of resistance training tools that can help to increase your strength and balance in different ways. Here are some ways they can be beneficial:

1. Wrist weights: Wrist weights can help to increase upper body strength and balance by adding resistance to exercises such as push-ups, planks, and arm curls. They can also improve grip strength and wrist stability, which can be useful in activities such as rock climbing or gymnastics.

2. Ankle weights: Ankle weights can help to increase lower body strength and balance by adding resistance to exercises such as lunges, squats, and leg raises. They can also improve ankle stability, which can be useful in activities such as running or hiking.

3. Belt weights: Belt weights are typically used for weighted dips, pull-ups, and chin-ups to increase upper body strength and improve overall balance. Belt weights can also help to build core strength, which is important for maintaining balance and stability during a variety of activities.

It's important to note that while these tools can be useful for strength and balance training, they should be used with caution and proper technique. Start with a lighter weight and gradually increase the weight as you build strength and confidence. It's also important to warm up properly before using any weighted equipment and to listen to your body to avoid injury.

5 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Dumbest response ever. Building strength with resistance does not help balance. And if in fact it did, chat gpt didn't explain how exactly. This is whats wrong with today's society. Relying on chat GPT for all of the answers. It basically repeated what you said to it and added some extra info. We are doomed.

please allow me to introduce myself..... i am chatgpt.      Allow me to make a humble addition: It's not the dumbest answer, it's just thoughtless ;)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Building strength with resistance does not help balance. And if in fact it did, chat gpt didn't explain how exactly

52 minutes ago, earthtwin said:

Belt weights can also help to build core strength, which is important for maintaining balance and stability during a variety of activities

Was unfortionately hidden in the third paragraph ;)

• Like 1

I wish there was an EUC delivery person to chime in and relate their experience of if their skills are improved when not in delivery mode. I doubt the AI even knows what an electric unicycle is.

Edited by earthtwin

Okay, I ask the AI: How could resistance training improve my electric unicycle skills?

Resistance training can improve your electric unicycle skills in several ways:

Strengthening leg muscles: Resistance training can help strengthen your leg muscles, particularly your quadriceps, hamstrings, and calves, which are heavily used when riding an electric unicycle. Stronger leg muscles can improve your balance and stability on the unicycle, as well as help you navigate inclines and uneven terrain more effectively.

Enhancing core stability: Resistance training can also help improve your core stability, which is essential for maintaining good posture and balance on the unicycle. Exercises such as planks, sit-ups, and cable rotations can help strengthen your core muscles and improve your overall stability.

Improving endurance: Resistance training can help improve your overall endurance, which is essential for longer rides on your electric unicycle. By building up your muscular endurance through exercises such as squats, lunges, and leg presses, you'll be better able to ride for longer periods without feeling fatigued.

Increasing coordination: Resistance training can also help improve your overall coordination, which is essential for maneuvering and balancing on the electric unicycle. Exercises that involve multiple muscle groups, such as kettlebell swings and medicine ball throws, can help improve your coordination and balance.

Overall, resistance training can be a great way to improve your electric unicycle skills and become a more confident and capable rider. Just be sure to consult with a qualified fitness professional to design a program that is safe and effective for you.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, earthtwin said:

I wish there was an EUC delivery person to chime in and relate their experience of if their skills are improved when not in delivery mode

I often go to the supermarket on the wheel and bring back 1 or 2 bags. I feel like that might help with coordination but balance is a combination of bodily functions that requires your central nervous system, inner ear,eyes, muscles,bones and joints in communication with your brain. The only thing that helps is practice IMO.

Edited by Punxatawneyjoe
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, earthtwin said:

Strengthening leg muscles: Resistance training can help strengthen your leg muscles, particularly your quadriceps, hamstrings, and calves, which are heavily used when riding an electric unicycle. Stronger leg muscles can improve your balance and stability on the unicycle, as well as help you navigate inclines and uneven terrain more effectively.

Enhancing core stability: Resistance training can also help improve your core stability, which is essential for maintaining good posture and balance on the unicycle. Exercises such as planks, sit-ups, and cable rotations can help strengthen your core muscles and improve your overall stability.

Improving endurance: Resistance training can help improve your overall endurance, which is essential for longer rides on your electric unicycle. By building up your muscular endurance through exercises such as squats, lunges, and leg presses, you'll be better able to ride for longer periods without feeling fatigued.

Increasing coordination: Resistance training can also help improve your overall coordination, which is essential for maneuvering and balancing on the electric unicycle. Exercises that involve multiple muscle groups, such as kettlebell swings and medicine ball throws, can help improve your coordination and balance.

Overall, resistance training can be a great way to improve your electric unicycle skills and become a more confident and capable rider. Just be sure to consult with a qualified fitness professional to design a program that is safe and effective for you.

Right, or just practice.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, earthtwin said:

Okay, I ask the AI: How could resistance training improve my electric unicycle skills?

Well there's the answer. Resistance training is good for your muscles in general, some of which may be useful in riding. However at no point does it suggest that these things would be helpful while riding.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I know, but isn't it true that NAVY SEALS practice swimming with weights and bricks and stuff? I think practicing riding with weights and bricks could follow the same principle increasing balance and strength.

Navy Seals in water, even the ones in capitals, are in a fully buoyant medium, so there is no comparsion. They are certainly not doing it to improve their balance ! I don't know what started you on this whole 'weight helps balance' thing, but I just don't think it does ! :) And after 5 kph, angular momentum keeps you up and balanced with zero effort anyway, so not even sure if better balance is even needed in EUC control, except maybe during the slowest and tightest of manoeuvres, and I said before, you want to rehearse the movements you need to make without weights, which will be different to those with, so you are only learning the wrong thing by practising with them ! Another point is that that the KS14D is not exactly a massive or heavy wheel - you don't even need more than 'standard muscles' to exert command authority over something that small !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So we are arguing against chatGPT answers now?? How… modern.

Your original question was if the weights would increase your skill. The answer is: No it doesn’t. No matter what any computer says.

And regarding balance vs strength, if strength exercises would increase the kind of balance that’s useful for EUC riding, then surely buffed up people would learn to ride noticeably faster than the rest of us. Do they? I’m pretty sure they don’t.

If you want to practice a skill, practice the skill. Don’t exercise with weights in hopes for a shortcut. Like, would I become a better guitarist by doing push-ups? No I wouldn’t.

If you want to build up strength, do strength exercises. But don’t confuse the two.

• Like 3

Just now, mrelwood said:

Like, would I become a better guitarist by doing push-ups? No I wouldn’t.

No, but you might with these hilarious gutarists' finger grip trainers !! Again, load of old shit. If you want to be stronger at playing guitar, play more guitar !! Your point stands !

image.png.4f3dfdb3dbbdc5df9b694790062cabc8.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

not sure if it will help your wheeling but imo eveything that challenges balance is good - slacklining is one form of challenge that has a similar learning curve to EUC. if you have 30ft of webbing (load tie-downs,rope,etc), setup between 2 trees (couple of feet above ground) and have at it! a buddy of mine was into this and I thought was way too hard to learn until he convinced me to try and turns out not very difficult (like EUC). and like EUC, it really forces you to be present and in the moment (maybe more so)... there are lots of how to vids online. stressed out about something, hop on slackline for 5 mins - you will probs feel better after. eventually when slacklining gets too boring you can try yogic flying - but careful with that as you may float off and never come back down!

Doug Henning - Wikiwand

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1