Increasing skill by wearing weights

@ScubadragonsanThat certainly seems logical. I am curious about how Hirsute trains. I know he has a lot of talent, but suspect he has acrobatic training as well. Awesome Acrobatics Exercise 101 https://www.acroschool.com/acrobatics-exercise-101/  I plan to practice my acrobat skills in addition to weight training to be a better rider. I'm still going to do the weight training a few rides per week and see if it helps me. I'm optimistic.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Late to the game, but my answer would be somewhat "yes". Learning to comfortably ride while wearing a +10kg backpack or a suitcase (in the hands in front or behind my back or in one hand on the side) or dragging a suitcase behind me is/was, I think, to me helpful to better understand the limits of balance and how to extend these limits.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mono said:

Late to the game, but my answer would be somewhat "yes". Learning to comfortably ride while wearing a +10kg backpack or a suitcase (in the hands in front or behind my back or in one hand on the side) or dragging a suitcase behind me is/was, I think, to me helpful to better understand the limits of balance and how to extend these limits.

Huh is there really big difference while riding with backpack or carrying a grocery bag ~10kg one handed? Whit grocery bag you simply lean more other side and all good. I at least have zero problem riding like that. :D With backpack i don't even notice any difference.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

that video of damien gaumet is amazing.  that guy is like a cat on an euc, ... he has an uncanny sense of balance !

earthwin,  if you have been riding for at least 1 season or more,  you basically have what it takes to ride your euc.  if you want to improve skills that are directly related to your riding,  perhaps exercises related to maintaining and improving balance will enhance your current skills.

Edited by bpong
  • Like 1

The most I ever carried was a case of water that weighed like 40ish pounds. It made riding me wheel feel weird after that, like I damaged it or something, but I didn't damage my wheel, I just made it feel burdensome. I'm still going to do the weight and acrobat thing. Just trying to get motivated. I can't even make myself do Yoga right now, and Yoga has some good balancing exercises. I think I've been riding now for like 3-1/2 years or so. I think I've been having arthritis lately, but I ordered some capsaicin/arnica cream that should help. Today I actually rubbed fresh Habanero pepper on my elbows, lol, and it made a big difference.

17 hours ago, Funky said:

Huh is there really big difference while riding with backpack or carrying a grocery bag ~10kg one handed?

I suspect mileages vary (a lot). I wrote +10kg and I'd say it makes a very notable difference, to me. Maybe for some (heavier) riders it takes 15kg or 20kg to make the difference "big", and it all depends on what you even mean by "big difference". I also can imagine that some people may feel no difference or have the natural talent to cope with the difference immediately without even noticing (these mileages vary, a lot) in which case there is probably no point to explore this for enhancing skills.

• Like 2