Commander Mini (2400Wh 50E, 134V, 16in tire/12in rim, 40kg/88lb, 3200W C38 motor, suspension, speakers)

19 hours ago, Frolic0415 said:

I just ordered the 50s version, very keen for it to arrive. Will be my first suspension wheel :)

I love mine so far, my paperwork says it's the 50E version but I bought the 50S version at eWheels, there is no indicator on the boxes either, they got confirmation from EB that it has 50S cells but I'm a tad skeptical after the S16 "Pro" situation with Marty

Edited by RetroThruster
  • Upvote 1

You can always do a quick test by hard acceleration from a stop and watch for voltage sag. If it's 50S, the sag will be quite minimal. Not the most accurate but won't hurt to try.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2024 at 4:11 AM, OldSolo said:

So my first suspension teardown is posted.  I will likely add a new thread in this forum as much of the information should be applicable to all of the Commander variants.

Please do update more about how to properly cut the spring and how that reflects on the stiffness. As well as how to replace the suspension fluid(is there a specific model we can look for after market?)

1 hour ago, Chris7708 said:

Please do update more about how to properly cut the spring and how that reflects on the stiffness. As well as how to replace the suspension fluid(is there a specific model we can look for after market?)

I have a bunch of video, having shot some parts multiple times to try for a better view or explanation, and need some time to edit & probably reshoot some stuff.  Unfortunately a couple of weeks ago the transmission in my Excursion completely let go so all of my focus has been on it.  Instead of EUC videos, I have been watching 4R100 teardowns & rebuilds, have scoured internet forums for discussions, have ordered parts, and have just finished building a teardown table.  Today I plan to drop the tranny & get to work on it!  this was NOT on my agenda, nor in my spending plans, but instantly jumped up the priority list!  

A neighbor brought over a motorcycle jack last night (looks to be better than the standard transmission jack for driveway work) and was blown away by the table.  Maybe I will shoot a quick video of it!  The issue there does have something in common with the shock teardown: hydraulic fluid will end up running out on the workbench!  The real shops use these huge steel tables that have a gutter in them for the oil to run into.  Basically I built a top with a slight tilt back & to the side, bent some sheet metal to add lips & a trough, and sealed it up on top.  Should do fine, as even after draining there will be a quart or two of oil still inside.  ATF will get into anything, so this SHOULD be a help.

I share all of this because I enjoy problem solving.  In these vehicles with the 7.3 turbo diesel (and I have upgraded turbo & injectors which add to the stress), the transmission is the weak point.  The engine is good for 500k+ miles, but the transmissions may last 100k+.  A bulletproof transmission can be purchased for $6k+ (and several weeks to actually get one; a factory reman for ~3500 will have a limited lifespan) but I will have about $2400 in parts.  A week or two of time AND THE fear/thrill of the challenge while I learn something new seems the proper route!

Basically cutting down the shock spring I kept playing with numbers, looking at the spring rate & considering the minimum amount of preload.  Because this will remove the spring binding issue, the preload adjustment can actually be used if I decide I want less sag.  I go over this in the other video material.  I was not careful enough with either shock to get a precise measurement of the fluid, so it will be a bit of an experiment, although I KNOW that this was not precisely determined by the manufacturer.  Changing volume of fluid or viscosity of the fork fluid is not an issue OTHER than the labor involved.  The design of these does not make it easy, although actually knowing what I am doing NOW will make it easier.  I will not glue everything together quite as tight as the factory did to make disassembly easier.  Hopefully it won't come apart on me!  Looking it over, watching for oil leaks & such will make it easy enough.  The 1250km teardown & tire change posted HERE demonstrates the durability of the stock setup.

Enough of this, I need to finish my morning activities & then crawl under the truck.  It's funny working on something so different in scale!  The transmission + torque converter is around 300# and removing a couple of bolts will require several FEET of extensions.  And first order of business will be spraying driveshaft bolts & frame support w/ PB blaster!  A 24 year old vehicle does present a few challenges ... but considering there is nothing like it on the market now, and if there was it would likely cost well over $100k, it is worth the effort.  JUST LIKE sorting out the Mini suspension!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Spec sheet in the first page stated 45kg and one tuber said 35kg. Bit confusing so hopefully someone that actually owns this wheel can confirm. 

Been eyeballing this wheel a while now. The appearance and built is like a tank in a small form factor.

5 hours ago, Duccen said:

Spec sheet in the first page stated 45kg and one tuber said 35kg. Bit confusing so hopefully someone that actually owns this wheel can confirm. 

Been eyeballing this wheel a while now. The appearance and built is like a tank in a small form factor.

It weighs 41kg

Screenshot_20240318-212924_Facebook.png

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, GwinizDu said:

I can't find anywhere if this Mini has a SmartBMS?

Also, do you guys know if there is a v2 upgrade coming for the mini?

No smart bms, no new version announced as of now (it's good enough as is tbh). 

Edited by Ronin Ryder

On 2/24/2024 at 2:11 PM, OldSolo said:

So my first suspension teardown is posted.  I will likely add a new thread in this forum as much of the information should be applicable to all of the Commander variants.

Thanks for posting the suspension teardown. I saw in another thread you said you were having trouble sourcing a replacement lower rate spring. Any luck so far? Could you post the spring measurements if you have those handy?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2024 at 5:01 AM, lkrasnov said:

Thanks for posting the suspension teardown. I saw in another thread you said you were having trouble sourcing a replacement lower rate spring. Any luck so far? Could you post the spring measurements if you have those handy?

Same for me, do we have more information? Is there a known brand/model for the suspension? What spring can be used? It is really to stiff for everyday use for a light guy.

And what about later? I see a lot of videos showing Veteran maintenance and many references for parts. Are we going to be stuck?