Bluetooth speakers

I also like the JBL clip - it is very water resistant, relatively easy to attach, and might not instantly disintegrate in a crash !

However I remain surprised that people want to attach speakers to EUCs. In my own experience having music playing from the machine itself ruins situational awareness (can't hear people trying to talk to you / unusual noises from wheel / warning beeps from wheel / electric cars and other nearly silent transport that you can't yet see), pedestrians and other people in parks and rec areas absolutely hate people who broadcast their music, it draws instant attention from any police you pass, and the actual quality of the music is shit anyway because a) helmet and b) EUCs can't typically carry around speakers that are large enough to produce any low end, just a horribly muddy, inaccurate, boxy mid-range and harsh, tinny highs that seem custom-designed to be of the right accentuated frequencies to annoy everyone else AND their dogs !! Headphones will be 1000 times more rewarding to listen to at the cost that they remove EVEN MORE of your situational awareness than open mounted speakers do...

Edited by Cerbera

2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Headphones will be 1000 times more rewarding to listen to at the cost that they remove EVEN MORE of your situational awareness than open mounted speakers do...

Bone conduction headphones - this is the (almost) perfect solution. Almost, because the only con of the bone conduction technology is lack of deep bass. I use Aftershokz headphones and they gives me  clear and loud sound without any impact on situational awareness.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I got the YZ06 BT headset on AMZN. 26 bucks. Good, but not great sound. Has an extra port to attach a walk-in talkie. Supports Siri “heySiri” functionality. I’ve made phone calls while riding. 

I am very happy with these. Being closer to the ears, they sound better than the jbl clip at the same volume (they can be set quite high and do not disturb other people), and also the stereo sound gives a very nice immersive feeling. Even if you take them to the maximum you hear the traffic enough (horn, sirens ...). The battery and overall quality is also good.

H07586baaf2dc48d6bb7146ae09e89459u.jpghttps://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005003427627248.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.21.3b5c194dBZRXM3&gatewayAdapt=glo2esp

Edited by Pablocavern

• 2 weeks later...

20230325_163843.jpg.2bf40539b1ed1be7df3e11df85631dea.jpg

On 3/18/2023 at 6:43 AM, Tawpie said:

I have a JBL Clip, it works pretty well—wind noise is still wind noise so it probably sounds better to the people I'm going past than it does to me!

This small speaker produces very high quality sound, unlike loud "screamers" like a trumpet. If you don't believe it, listen to the audio of the video through an audio device, because the audio in the video is recorded directly. Many are afraid to disturb other road users with this music, but my personal experience is quite the opposite! First, getting close to the EUC, which is moving quietly and quickly
scared many! To many, ringing a bicycle bell seemed like a desire to rule the road, etc. However, the approach of the music is noticed early on, and it is not uncommon for the crowd to actually dance and smile when EUC's music approaches! If the speaker produces pure musical sound, it also does not cover important sounds in traffic that require monitoring, etc. Well, EUC security signals are coming to this speaker too!
A small problem, however, if the rider prefers music, which may not suit the majority of citizens :) . In this case, maybe headphones are still the best option :) . However, I wish everyone pleasant driving experiences!

Edited by Raptor
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah it's decent for the size - very crisp and defined highs, and as you say mids are not harsh and boxy like most cabinets that size. We seem to lose everything under <>120 Hz, which is to be expected, but the low mids are pleasingly ramped above that so we don't notice so much. Really nice mounting job too. We can't play music through them over here without pissing everyone off and drawing unnecessary police attention, but I am considering such a setup for AVS noises, which may be helpful in letting people know I am proximal, and as the sound I want for that is a resonant low-end sci-fi hum I do need something that gets as much of that bass end as possible.

Edited by Cerbera

I started with a Flip 6, not bad, but at faster speeds it gets a bit drowned out by wind noise. I then bought a JBL Charge 5 - much better (more volume, better bass) with enough volume to hear over wind noise even above 50kph. I now use a Soundcore Motion Boom Plus, that thing kicks butt! It is my most powerful USB-Charged speaker, only beaten by my JBL Boombox 2 which is mains-charged and also way too big and has no carry strap. The Motion Boom Plus has a carry handle and also a carry strap, I wear it using the strap and with the speakers facing forward. I really like it when people notice me really early and make room on the path for me to pass. I've had quite a few thumbs up and a bunch of times I've seen people bob their heads in time with the beat of my music. I've ridden without a Bluetooth speaker and it definitely felt much less safe. I've found that constantly playing music improves the chances of someone noticing at some point, mostly well in advance of reaching them, particularly useful when coming up behind cyclists. Having good volume helps with people that are walking/riding with ear buds in.

I've put different music in folders so that I can get my music player on the phone to play from a particular folder that has little/no offensive lyrics. Avoiding playing WAP by Cardi B around others including children, definitely a good idea. I've gone with mostly techno with a really good beat and tons of bass, to maximise the chances of people hearing my approach.

Try playing this on something with really strong bass:

This really sounds great on my Soundcore Motion Boom Plus!

I'm sure that the occasional person doesn't like the loud music, but luckily for them I'm quickly passed and off in the distance.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I ended up hanging the speaker, on my chest, on the cross strap of my backpack... Easy access to volume and back/forward buttons... The music makes people get out of my way, I am not silently coming up from behind them.... I also bought a remote that connects to player since gloves don't work well with players (doesn't work with all music players, only with android based players)

Edited by MetricUSA