My EX30 Trials, Tribulations, and Triumphs

1st rate vid and project Marty.  Too bad about the bad batt. Note to self : Check voltage on packs before assembly ?

P.S. Do you have dedicated fire safe euc charging/ storage facility ?

Edited by OldFartRides

1 hour ago, OldFartRides said:

1st rate vid and project Marty.  Too bad about the bad batt. Note to self : Check voltage on packs before assembly ?

P.S. Do you have dedicated fire safe euc charging/ storage facility ?

No. I pay attention to the batteries on all my wheels. As long as my wheels charge normally I don't worry about the batteries.

Since the battery pack has sounded off its alarm continuously, and the measured voltage is below the safe threshold, indicating a bad battery, and thus a fire hazard, one would think that it would be reasonable to contact the local fire department for guidance, and disposal.

• Upvote 1

After watching your previous video I had the same thoughts. What do you do with a buzzing bad pack? 33V is really low. Scary low. Normal 0% would be 48V. It will be interesting to see what Roger finds.

Now that some members of your group have direct contact with Begode I hope they push Begode to pay more attention to safety. Everyone mentions fires but don't forget the latest Begodes are all aluminium. Exposed to touch aluminium and I have seen several videos of riders riding their crashed Begodes home with exposed wires everywhere. Even the lift handles are bare metal (it appears,correct me if I'm wrong). How much does a rubber grip cost in China?  (edit: On Alibaba 15 cents a pair* ! ) At least Leaperkim and Extreme Bull have plastic handles. 134V and a short? With Begode quality it is a worry. Didn't the Commander Pro have a power wire fall off due to a cold solder?

At least the black plastic suitcase style Begodes had some electrical insulation even if it cracked in a fall. (Fixed with duct tape)

I saw a Munro Live YT vid** where Sandy visited a company that made battery pack trays/shells for many OEMs. He commented he didn't understand why some used Aluminium when SMC was so much better. The manufacturer said they are  starting to go back to Bakelite!

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Custom-Color-Soft-Rubber-Handlebar-Cover_1600340555864.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.normal_offer.d_title.4e7956e53cVhGl

• Like 1

This is (another reason) why we should always carry some gaffa tape and electrical tape with us when we ride I guess - keep us insulated from stray voltages where they shouldn't be. I suppose the one positive we can take away from Marty's video is that it is evidently possible to ride without getting dropped if one pack fails, which is one test I'm not sure we'd find that many volunteers for !

As far as what to do with a beeping pack - he's right - that a situation we all dread I'm sure, and does leave us in a proper dilemma. If we are sure we can write off the pack then we can leave it outside on the lawn in a water-filled container, but if there is any chance at all of rescuing it, then outside is not the place for any battery pack, yet indoors presents more than the normal level of fire risk. 

• Like 1

Begode and their quality control, man. I recently got my first Begode wheel, an EX20S (because the price for a 3.6kWh battery plus decent suspension for a big guy like me was unbeatable) but I have found Begode is really living up to their reputation with that thing. The trolley handle doesnt lock in the extended position (I didnt even know it was supposed to until I watched a review video by Wong Way) and there wasnt even a MANUAL included. I had to ask on here how I could unlock the wheel, and I also had to watch a YT video to find out how the kill switch worked. Also of course zero data provided on what tire pressure is recommended for what rider weight, or what shock pressure.

This is seriously disgraceful, especially when taking into consideration for how many years this Begode quality/customer service issue has already persisted.

Edited by mhpr262
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/1/2023 at 4:19 AM, Marty Backe said:

And unlike the S or Commander Pro, I can easily put in a coil shock and then it will feel just as nice as the S.

So, why would you need aftermarket shocks for the S then when it’s already at a level that can’t be beat?

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

This is (another reason) why we should always carry some gaffa tape and electrical tape with us when we ride I guess - keep us insulated from stray voltages where they shouldn't be.

That sounds a bit ridiculous to me actually. You think e-bike riders think the same way? Or “I always carry my soldering iron ‘cos you never know when the battery cables get detached.” It’s quite a… Begodeish approach to riding. :P

41 minutes ago, mhpr262 said:

how many years this Begode quality/customer service issue has already persisted.

What do you mean? I didn’t think they had either, quality nor customer service! :lol:

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

It’s quite a… Begodeish approach to riding. :P

Oh undoubtedly so ! :) We can't change our previous buying decisions, but we can fully accept the potential consequences and try and prepare for them !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

We can't change our previous buying decisions, but we can fully accept the potential consequences and try and prepare for them !

That's the thing. That is by choice. There are people who keep buying them. Of course Marty is a perfect example. But, he has been around electric wheels forever, and knows exactly what he is getting himself into and can tackle anything that he encounters.

Personally, I would have considered either buying another brand, or wait for another year and see. For me, some of these wheels were not fully developed products, and thus were not ready for production. And I am not willing to pay full price to be a beta tester and developer.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

to be fair to Begode in terms of actual downtime, there was none at all in the 5 years I rode their MS3, and only a week or 2 down with the Master while I sorted its bearing clonkings out !

In terms of downtime, that's low.

Just curious, didn't you have to do your own weather proofing? 

27 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

So this is still not a brand I hate, because they too are heading in the right direction. I am perhaps slightly less deluded in their favour !

I own a T3. It actually works well enough. It's just that there are wheels that ride better, and are better built. I still think the T3 is a good learner's wheel, especially if the owner is handy with doing his own repairs.

I don't hate any particular brand either. I monitor all brands of wheels. I would buy which ever one I deemed is the one for me. No brand loyalty here.

32 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Despite the new problems that continue to be discovered with the Master on an almost weekly basis, I do continue to be impressed by the speed at which they take on board feedback and attempt to improve things, as the EX-30 so admirably demonstrates ! So this is still not a brand I hate, because they too are heading in the right direction. I am perhaps slightly less deluded in their favour !

I have to agree here. The EX30 is a good example showing Begode's speed and serious effort to improve the quality of their wheels. Very much the opposite of what Kingsong have done: a reoccurring theme of too little, too late. Aside from raising the bar in acceleration and braking, and top speed, they are the first to have a low pedal height and CoG to improve general handling for a suspension wheel. Actually, when I got on the Hero, I thought it had low CoG, if the EX30 has lower pedal height and CoG than the Hero, that would be something. 

With Begode's rapid pace of improving build quality and waterproofing, pretty soon, it may be pretty tough to choose the best wheel for one's use among the brands of Veteran, Inmotion, and Begode (If only Begode would put in an inner fender). Unless, of course if Kingsong can pull a rabbit out of the hat, and change their course. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Just curious, didn't you have to do your own weather proofing? 

I did, but that really only amounted to buying a backpack cover for the top half, and silicone-ing the rim of the motor hub. And the bearings re-grease which needed doing anyway... Don't get me wrong there was A LOT of stuff I had to do to get this machine what I would call road-ready, but I haven't disliked doing any of that massively, and knew well in advance that it would be the case... if I regret anything it was perhaps that I didn't take a very small window of opportunity I had to swap out for the V13 while I awaited the Master's arrival. I was put off by its weight, before I knew how well it was managed.

Just yesterday I decided now was the time to change the tyre on the Master - I had a 'weak leg' day of riding, and despite the tippiness being less than it was as the CST wore down over 800 odd miles, the top-heaviness of machine is a pain to manage, and I think a City Extra will put it over the tip-line less during normal riding. If that plan works I will continue to be very happy with the way my wheel rides and can save the dilemma about what I might buy next until 5 years down the line, by which time they are probably ALL doing it a lot more safely and robustly...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cerbera said:

if I regret anything it was perhaps that I didn't take a very small window of opportunity I had to swap out for the V13 while I awaited the Master's arrival. I was put off by its weight, before I knew how well it was managed.

Interesting; that's a good point. But, there no way you would have known a priori though. Until I got on one, I also thought the V13 would have ridden like a big heavy wheel.

If I have known how well the weight of the V13 was managed, I wouldn't had to buy an Abrams to prepare, and see whether big heavy wheels are a viable choice for me.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

So, why would you need aftermarket shocks for the S then when it’s already at a level that can’t be beat?

<snip>

From my experience in the community there is no consensus on the best tire, shock, lights, etc. YOU may think the S shock can't be beat but others think differently. It's nice to have easy options (like changing the tire) for modifying the suspension. I think Begode wins in this department (customizability).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After a ~1-1/2 week wait I have a new battery pack for the EX30. I show the difficulties (more than you may think) of installing a replacement battery. You're going to need an adapter cable and a special charger.

The next video shows what goes wrong :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finally have a fully functional EX30. The batteries were ultimately good. Instead it was the power distribution board. Good lessons learned on my part.

• Like 2

Here's an update on the EX30 with the new power distribution board. Hopefully Begode fixes these boards on current and future wheels

• 4 weeks later...