Whoa. 5 pages of Spam.

noisycarlos

21 hours ago, Gimlet said:

Not sure what's suddenly happened but the spam has reached new heights.

Removing it as fast as possible.

Damn! Did not have enough time to buy everything!

What's the point of spamming like that? How many of you decided to buy anything from those?

4 hours ago, MarkoMarjamaa said:

Damn! Did not have enough time to buy everything!

What's the point of spamming like that? How many of you decided to buy anything from those?

I think one point is search engine optimization. Don't know how it works these days, but at least back in the day Google would rank pages based on how many other sites linked to them (among other things).

on a totally unrelated note, my Gmail spam switched to mostly asian languages since I moderate here. Also my Steam Account that goes with the same username got a hacking attempt from a chinese IP but nosirreee, not with 2factor auth you dont. :ph34r:

6 hours ago, Jag_Rip said:

on a totally unrelated note, my Gmail spam switched to mostly asian languages since I moderate here. Also my Steam Account that goes with the same username got a hacking attempt from a chinese IP but nosirreee, not with 2factor auth you dont. :ph34r:

The email that you used for this forum is not revealed to the public though.  Could it be something else? :unsure:

@John Eucist Since i use a similar username mostly everywhere on the net, its not hard to guess (or socialengineer) my email :rolleyes: but it totally could be something else,

I didnt mean to link this together, sorry if this was the case. Its just a interesting observation I made.

16 hours ago, Jag_Rip said:

I have noticed this in general with Gmail. A couple of years ago I went to a conference in Moscow and before I went I had several conversations with people in Moscow about the trip. For about the next year there was quite a bit of Russian spam getting through. They must adjust the spam filter based on where you send emails on a regular basis. Generally it seems to work pretty well though.

Google & Microsoft etc. follow pretty closely what you do, for example when I did some searches related to bicycle parts, within minutes my Skype started showing bicycle-related ads :D  Same with Google ads in Gmail etc.

thats why you should have a almost invisible footer in your Gmail listing several bad words like death, horrible accident, catastrophy etc. because they wont use those mails for ads out of respect. :ph34r:

Also you can opt out of those targeted Ads, not that they wont scan your mails, but at least you wont see them use it on you. -_-

Archived