Veteran Patton 16" 126v 2220wh

Mango

14 hours ago, WILSONEUC said:

I only had this for about couple days but the smaller size of the tire makes it feel unstable? I feel like it might get unstable past 30mph and not super confident to take it beyond that for now . I think im just so use to bigger tires and the wheel is still new to me. What speed is generally unstable for everyone here?

It feels super stable to me, but I’m coming from an S18 to V12 to this. I run about 26psi because I ride lots of loose trails, but at that pressure it feels planted on the street up to about 40mph, which I rarely hit.  

It will twitch a bit on me periodically but doesn’t have the tendency of my earlier wheels for a twitch or two to escalate into a wobble. 

Edited by stizl
  • Like 1

Potential bad news for Patton owners.

Mind you, Paso Paso Jorge was informed that Leaper Kim will be sending out CNC replacement parts to Patton owners.

Part failed: Axle-stanchion clamp. Brittle fracture, catastrophic failure. Total separation. No crack propagation. So failure is not due to fatigue. Since these parts are mass produced, it is not likely it is an outlier.

This time, it looks like Leaper Kim, not Begode that used a less quality part?

380768515_773231281479399_76490901443863

Edited by techyiam
  • Sad 3

1 minute ago, techyiam said:

Mind you, Paso Paso Jorge was told Leaper Kim is going to provide CNC replacement parts in the future to Patton owners.

Part failed: Axle-stanchion clamp. Brittle fracture, catastrophic failure. Total separation. No crack propagation. So failure is not due to fatigue. Since these parts are mass produced, it is not likely it is an outlier.

So far only one case and people are abusing this wheel so it seems like an outlier for now, possible that it's material fault like we've seen historically with some brittle rims, best case it's just a few or a batch or we will see more of them but for now doesn't seem likely.

On 9/22/2023 at 12:21 PM, Rawnei said:

So far only one case and people are abusing this wheel so it seems like an outlier for now, possible that it's material fault like we've seen historically with some brittle rims, best case it's just a few or a batch or we will see more of them but for now doesn't seem likely.

People have abused the S22/Pro, and the Master for a lot longer.

Perhaps the part is strong enough for most riders, but it looks like the part should not have been vulnerable to brittle fracture, nevertheless. For high impact structural part, they should have used a better made part, namely a part that has a higher impact toughness structural property. They already had similar experienced with the Sherman S axle stanchion clamp, although the nature of it was not as serious, but the they should have learned that the part was too brittle. Begode does used a better made part for the axle stanchion clamp.

Hopefully Leaper Kim can rectified the situation promptly.

Edited by techyiam
  • Upvote 2

i just got my patton yesterday, put around 30 miles on it so far. coming from a v11 and being my 2nd wheel ever, it is definitely taking some getting used to. i can tell i am just starting to scratch the surface of the ride dynamics of this thing, and it's gonna take some extra skill development from me to unlock it. though i've already hit 42mph on it and i love how easily i can keep goign 35-38 and feel stable with no concern about cutouts.

BUT, one thing i'm shocked to see no one is mentioning is the pain caused by the top edges of the wheel. I felt it immediately but kept riding about 20 miles yesterday, and now you can see the type of pressure bruising i'm talking about in the photo below. i'm wondering if maybe i just have the wrong mechanics in terms of how i'm standing on it or something since no one else is complaining about this. i'm 6'1" aroudn 195lb

PXL_20230922_151256914.jpg

21 minutes ago, RhoadsNRoses82 said:

i just got my patton yesterday, put around 30 miles on it so far. coming from a v11 and being my 2nd wheel ever, it is definitely taking some getting used to. i can tell i am just starting to scratch the surface of the ride dynamics of this thing, and it's gonna take some extra skill development from me to unlock it. though i've already hit 42mph on it and i love how easily i can keep goign 35-38 and feel stable with no concern about cutouts.

BUT, one thing i'm shocked to see no one is mentioning is the pain caused by the top edges of the wheel. I felt it immediately but kept riding about 20 miles yesterday, and now you can see the type of pressure bruising i'm talking about in the photo below. i'm wondering if maybe i just have the wrong mechanics in terms of how i'm standing on it or something since no one else is complaining about this. i'm 6'1" aroudn 195lb

It's different for everyone, length and shape of legs etc, for example it's not a problem for me.

Maybe these type of side cushions would help you? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005743703693.html

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

It's different for everyone, length and shape of legs etc, for example it's not a problem for me.

Maybe these type of side cushions would help you? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005743703693.html

wow that is awesome just might fix the issue entirely thank u!

50 minutes ago, RhoadsNRoses82 said:

I ride with my toes out a bit and heels touching the side of the wheel. This eleminates the pressure for me.  But like Rawnei said, everyones legs are different.  

Edited by Rollin-on-1

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

Mind you, Paso Paso Jorge was told Leaper Kim is going to provide CNC replacement parts in the future to Patton owners.

Gee, look at the state of them Allen head screws; what could have happened to them??? 🤔🤣🤡

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RhoadsNRoses82 said:

I will not swear by it but I think I've seen those sidecushions without the seat somewhere if you're not interested in the seat, look around on AliExpress if you want to find that, the seat is pretty nice though.

2 hours ago, techyiam said:

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully it’s an uncommon occurrence, but I won’t complain if CNC parts show up in my mailbox one day. At least Leaperkim has a good track record of making these sorts of situations right, like shipping out the Sherman-S trolly and pedals(?).

These are part of the same clamp assembly that were coming loose (motor bolts) and also with mediocre thread strength for the clamp tops that bolt to them (I ended up installing a Helicoil in one of mine).  People may actually be over-tightening the clamps and motor bolts to correct  or preemptively prevent, which could make the situation worse. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RhoadsNRoses82 said:

BUT, one thing i'm shocked to see no one is mentioning is the pain caused by the top edges of the wheel.

I don't want to contradict you for the sake of contradicting but a few people have mentioned in this thread this very issue. The cushion that @Rawnei linked is what a lot of us are using.

But I can imagine it's easy for this information to get lost as there are already 50+ pages of chatter in the thread 😞

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, RhoadsNRoses82 said:

I have them also and they’re great. Just make sure to secure them somehow if you ride off road or do jumps, as the friction fit isn’t very strong. I lost one but backtracked and found it, and someone else earlier in this thread lost one too. 

You can either put double-sided tape underneath if you don’t expect frequent suspension adjustments, or put Velcro on the sides to the Velcro on the battery boxes.

You can also just use baby bumper foam on the wheel itself. I did both, but the wheel felt too wide at the top, so I notched the baby bumper foam down off the sides of the AliExpress pads. They now stay in place and accessing the suspension caps is a breeze  

image.thumb.jpeg.ebeab37c45e975cc90580b1e2d06fb5a.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stizl said:

Thanks for the heads up. Hopefully it’s an uncommon occurrence, but I won’t complain if CNC parts show up in my mailbox one day. At least Leaperkim has a good track record of making these sorts of situations right, like shipping out the Sherman-S trolly and pedals(?).

These are part of the same clamp assembly that were coming loose (motor bolts) and also with mediocre thread strength for the clamp tops that bolt to them (I ended up installing a Helicoil in one of mine).  People may actually be over-tightening the clamps and motor bolts to correct  or preemptively prevent, which could make the situation worse. 

I don't think so, LK themselves says 8Nm on the clamp screws, the de-threading usually happens before that, I believe a more plausible reason is that the screws and the holes are almost equal length and any amount of dirt in there will push the screw once reaching the bottom and things will go sideways, alternatively if you just torque one side (you need to screw all the screws in equally before starting to torque them), I believe the gaps on the clamp in combination with the length of the holes is the issue.

8 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

I don't think so, LK themselves says 8Nm on the clamp screws, the de-threading usually happens before that, I believe a more plausible reason is that the screws and the holes are almost equal length and any amount of dirt in there will push the screw once reaching the bottom and things will go sideways, alternatively if you just torque one side (you need to screw all the screws in equally before starting to torque them), I believe the gaps on the clamp in combination with the length of the holes is the issue.

When I had mine apart, I do recall being less-than-impressed with the geometry and threading of those clamps and wishing that I had more than three Helicoils on hand so I could just do all eight holes. 

1 hour ago, stizl said:

I have them also and they’re great. Just make sure to secure them somehow if you ride off road or do jumps, as the friction fit isn’t very strong. I lost one but backtracked and found it, and someone else earlier in this thread lost one too. 

You can either put double-sided tape underneath if you don’t expect frequent suspension adjustments, or put Velcro on the sides to the Velcro on the battery boxes.

You can also just use baby bumper foam on the wheel itself. I did both, but the wheel felt too wide at the top, so I notched the baby bumper foam down off the sides of the AliExpress pads. They now stay in place and accessing the suspension caps is a breeze  

image.thumb.jpeg.ebeab37c45e975cc90580b1e2d06fb5a.jpeg

this is helpful. my only issue is i'd like to keep the toe clamp on , which gives me little room at the top there for acceleration pad, so i'm hoping the side bumpers won't make it impossible to attach the pad the way i have it. do you have any image of your set up from the top down or at an angle by any chance

2 hours ago, jimjam.nyc said:

I have these with the seat. It fixes the issue for me entirely.

Seat is OK. Not the best. But the side covers were a leg saver for me. 

so how do these side cushions stay on/attach?

4 hours ago, Freeforester said:

Gee, look at the state of them Allen head screws; what could have happened to them??? 🤔🤣🤡

Let say some guy used an impact gun to the bolts, and over-stressed the clamp, the clamp should have gone under some form of plastic deformation. But the issue here is instead of that, the part failed catastrophically by brittle fracture. For a critical structural part that is under constant impact loading, that is a no no. For non-structural part like a motorcycle engine alternator cover, perhaps, one can let that slide.

The bolt and the threads in the threaded hole don't seemed to the issue, just the clamp itself.

I believe, the fundamental flaw with the clamp is that it does not have high enough impact toughness.

Edited by techyiam

1 hour ago, WILSONEUC said:

Anyone know of a good seat option for Patton other than the one that i see floating around alibaba?

I'm thinking of doing the same suron seat conversion for sherman S to patton as the front roll bar should fits the same with the customs hanger, think it will work?

https://youtu.be/NQRFTx4XNwI?si=U5XAYxG5B2C0P47I

2 hours ago, RhoadsNRoses82 said:

so how do these side cushions stay on/attach?

It is friction based. If you are trail riding like others have said, you may need some double sided tape.

Riding on nyc streets it stays just fine for me so far!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WILSONEUC said:

Anyone know of a good seat option for Patton other than the one that i see floating around alibaba?

Actually I found an option from Jakkaphan Susangiam https://www.facebook.com/jakkaphansu in Thailand who create leather seats for sherman-s and Patton. Many people on facebook patton pages recommend him. His group page is EUCCRAZY  https://www.facebook.com/groups/121780730966084.

picture 1 is for Sherman S (but im getting a different threading design than seen in the picture, black thread, and Im getting the Patton Seat with threading material as well. He will give you a Google sheet to fill out what you want for your seat and will show you different sizes and he sounds very meticulous about it . He said it takes around 2-3 days to make and like 3 days to arrive if you select express. Not bad . Slightly expensive , 340 for both with shipping figured in. Ill support the community, especially if it keeps my tushy cushy :p

SHERMAN-S seat at 27cm

378006931_206354888944367_2502535715705612642_n.jpg

PATTON Seat design

381652104_333282172494258_8900796186559112158_n.jpg

Edited by WILSONEUC
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, RhoadsNRoses82 said:

Yoga pad cut to preference. Some double sided tape makes a world of difference in comfort. It’s a SS but should work the same on Patton. It’s cheap also. You have to not mind that it looks janky. IMG_0056.thumb.jpeg.ac0cb3ba987a26b00b37713e4c6dbc9e.jpeg

17 hours ago, RhoadsNRoses82 said:

do you have any image of your set up from the top down or at an angle by any chance

The underside of the side pads so you can see the friction fit:

image.thumb.jpeg.4a75ee8004644ac951f0aa0bcca63cde.jpeg

Top-ish views of the pads with the stock "jump aid":

image.thumb.jpeg.440ec750b87a4236f982d6e12ad6fd57.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ff7f62208e1fa2b800fb50726c425ddb.jpeg

Top-ish views of my current set up:

image.thumb.jpeg.ea61bf0b719e8a7f0b41694b71591dd3.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.2b4c0f4b80d0e985674881bcee440794.jpeg

Edited by stizl
  • Like 3