Veteran Patton 16" 126v 2220wh

Mango

No doubt the SS is a great wheel. My favourite riding though is the nastiest off-road I can manage to ride. Was sort of why I wanted the Patton over the SS. I need to think about it / sleep on it.

Feel free to skip the rest of the post to avoid whining:

I did not contact the seller, I definitely don't have my hopes up for them. I tried to cancel my ali order a while back and they just choose to decline my cancellation, severe culture shock for me that its even possible. Dealing with any European companies that would never happen because consumer rights.

Also they didn't want to ship to where I live so today I had to adventure into the European Union (about 7 hours one way) to pick it up. So shipping it back to exchange it for a Patton is gonna be a struggle. I don't have the original packaging etc because I'm not gonna carry around a huge box on public transport. I haven't owned a car since before my V11.

From what I see online AliExpress demands you video tape your unpacking a product to document someone sending the wrong product so I have zero hope of opening a dispute with them.

I wasn't intending to turn it into a whine post but I was really looking forward for today etc.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Poker said:

they didn't want to ship to where I live so today I had to adventure into the European Union (about 7 hours one way) to pick it up.

Wow, that is serious dedication. To me that is some serious travelling to pick up a parcel. 

3 hours ago, Poker said:

No doubt the SS is a great wheel. My favourite riding though is the nastiest off-road I

I guess the alternative to selling is to save up for your next wheel purchase. :)

Edited by techyiam

5 hours ago, Poker said:

No doubt the SS is a great wheel. My favourite riding though is the nastiest off-road I can manage to ride. Was sort of why I wanted the Patton over the SS. I need to think about it / sleep on it.

Feel free to skip the rest of the post to avoid whining:

I did not contact the seller, I definitely don't have my hopes up for them. I tried to cancel my ali order a while back and they just choose to decline my cancellation, severe culture shock for me that its even possible. Dealing with any European companies that would never happen because consumer rights.

Also they didn't want to ship to where I live so today I had to adventure into the European Union (about 7 hours one way) to pick it up. So shipping it back to exchange it for a Patton is gonna be a struggle. I don't have the original packaging etc because I'm not gonna carry around a huge box on public transport. I haven't owned a car since before my V11.

From what I see online AliExpress demands you video tape your unpacking a product to document someone sending the wrong product so I have zero hope of opening a dispute with them.

I wasn't intending to turn it into a whine post but I was really looking forward for today etc.

Here's me on the Sherman S and @Mike Sacristan on the Patton doing diamond MTB trail, as you can see Sherman S can do just fine in gnarly off road.

But I get you, I own both, Patton is a super fun wheel, but Sherman S would be such a big upgrade in all kinds of ways from the V11, great speed and amazing range.

Edited by Rawnei
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

Here's me on the Sherman S and @Mike Sacristan on the Patton doing diamond MTB trail, as you can see Sherman S can do just fine in gnarly off road.

But I get you, I own both, Patton is a super fun wheel, but Sherman S would be such a big upgrade in all kinds of ways from the V11, great speed and amazing range.

Nice bumpers on the ‘S’ - did you print them yourself? 👍🏻

Edited by Freeforester
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Freeforester said:

Nice bumpers on the ‘S’ - did you print them yourself? 👍🏻

I designed them:

• Like 1

Just took apart my Patton for a tire change. I took the opportunity to literally disassemble the entire wheel and check everything out. My main concern was the whole batteries moving inside the case.. I am baffled by this issue because my patton has plastic wedges in the top of the battery cases that fit in and keep the batteries locked in place. There really is very little if any space for movement at all.

I am interested if the people who had batteries moving around are missing this piece. Or if they are just poorly manufactured and have different fits that some allow movement.

I can see the demo wheel missing this piece, as i never saw it in any of the breakdown videos or videos showing the batteries being placed in the wheel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimjam.nyc said:

Just took apart my Patton for a tire change. I took the opportunity to literally disassemble the entire wheel and check everything out. My main concern was the whole batteries moving inside the case.. I am baffled by this issue because my patton has plastic wedges in the top of the battery cases that fit in and keep the batteries locked in place. There really is very little if any space for movement at all.

I am interested if the people who had batteries moving around are missing this piece. Or if they are just poorly manufactured and have different fits that some allow movement.

I can see the demo wheel missing this piece, as i never saw it in any of the breakdown videos or videos showing the batteries being placed in the wheel.

You mean those rubber things? They are soft rubber that can compress and there can also be space below that you didn't see if you didn't open there? Plus there can also be room side to side if they forgot neoprene layer on the batteries.

1 minute ago, Rawnei said:

You mean those rubber things? They are soft rubber that can compress and there can also be space below that you didn't see if you didn't open there? Plus there can also be room side to side if they forgot neoprene layer on the batteries.

I guess they are rubber, but its decently rigid. but these batteries dont budge at all. It would take a decent amount of force to move these around with the way they are placed.

7 minutes ago, jimjam.nyc said:

I guess they are rubber, but its decently rigid. but these batteries dont budge at all. It would take a decent amount of force to move these around with the way they are placed.

Then yours is installed correctly, that is more baffling then them being installed incorrectly these days.

• Haha 1

So I am in Calgary, Who has PATTON'S in stock? I am ready to buy. eevee's hasn't returned my 7 texts in a week. Smart wheel I can only text, and they take a day or two for each response, and they say their shipment is a couple weeks out. Where would you, or did you buy your Patton from? Please refer me if you like. I just want to talk to someone who can tell me something.

5 minutes ago, GregGenge said:

So I am in Calgary, Who has PATTON'S in stock? I am ready to buy. eevee's hasn't returned my 7 texts in a week. Smart wheel I can only text, and they take a day or two for each response, and they say their shipment is a couple weeks out. Where would you, or did you buy your Patton from? Please refer me if you like. I just want to talk to someone who can tell me something.

GregGenge,

you can also try RideOne.ca.  they had Pattons in stock awhile back and you never know,  they may still have a few in stock.  the Patton will not be in their website though.  email them. i will priv message you their email address.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, GregGenge said:

As bpong mentioned ride one has them and they have them in stock. 👍

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, GregGenge said:

Who has PATTON'S in stock? ....

greggenge,

ive emailed brian and he knows you may be contacting him....fyi....cheers....(and NO, im not a salesman nor work for rideone....)

21 hours ago, jimjam.nyc said:

The plastic wedges were in place on my Patton when I took it apart. Three of the four batteries were well-secured with a friction fit, and the fourth could only move slightly with some finger pressure. This didn’t turn out to be the source of the mystery “clunk” I was chasing at the time, but I still added some foam to be safe. 

@jimjam.nyc, I’m guessing you changed to a street tire?  If so, which one and how does it ride?  Thanks!

Edited by stizl
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, stizl said:

This didn’t turn out to be the source of the mystery “clunk” I was chasing at the time, but I still added some foam to be safe.

So what was the source?

3 hours ago, stizl said:

@jimjam.nyc, I’m guessing you changed to a street tire?  If so, which one and how does it ride?  Thanks!

My tire is delayed in shipping so my wheel is apart in pieces on the floor still. I didnt go with the Ehweels street tire (h-626) its sold out in most places. I went with a heidenau scooter tire which looks pretty good. I will let you know how it rides. It should be here today.. So hopefully will get out there tomorrow

Edit: Added pic just for fun. And also to mention it looks like a lot to take this wheel apart... but its honestly not that bad at all. its my second time and it went pretty quickly this time

20230815_105153.jpg

Edited by jimjam.nyc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

So what was the source?

After near total disassembly, re-torquing every bolt, adding battery padding, and more...I never found the source.  Based on your response to the video I uploaded in the "Sherman S Disassembly Findings, Thoughts, and Ownership Log" thread (https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/31364-sherman-s-disassembly-findings-thoughts-and-ownership-log/):

On 7/9/2023 at 4:58 AM, Rawnei said:

Oh this noise is perfectly normal, every Sherman S I've seen including mine has it, so I would say it's a "feature" of the FastAce shocks and nothing to worry about.

...I stopped looking and just started riding.  I am used to the sound now and it doesn't really bother me.  It seemed to start after a short break-in period and it hasn't become any worse since.  Thanks for helping me move on and just enjoy the wheel!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stizl said:

The plastic wedges were in place on my Patton when I took it apart. Three of the four batteries were well-secured with a friction fit, and the fourth could only move slightly with some finger pressure. This didn’t turn out to be the source of the mystery “clunk” I was chasing at the time, but I still added some foam to be safe. 

I am starting to wonder if the wheel where the batteries fell out of was not only victim of demo abuse (which we know, and that is ok). But the bottom piece is plastic. If they used lots of loctite or thread locker when placing the batteries in, it could have degraded things down there. Because mine feels pretty solid.. Obviously heavier plastic would be a better choice, as I can see this breaking in some instances.. But its still pretty solid from what i can tell.

I think we have seen some similar situations with lock-tite and plastic. I am using thread locker sparingly on this wheel only in places where its needed. I did put some on those bottom screws, but was really careful not to overload it and really only put on the very bottom of the threads.

26 minutes ago, jimjam.nyc said:

I am starting to wonder if the wheel where the batteries fell out of was not only victim of demo abuse (which we know, and that is ok). But the bottom piece is plastic. If they used lots of loctite or thread locker when placing the batteries in, it could have degraded things down there. Because mine feels pretty solid.. Obviously heavier plastic would be a better choice, as I can see this breaking in some instances.. But its still pretty solid from what i can tell.

I think we have seen some similar situations with lock-tite and plastic. I am using thread locker sparingly on this wheel only in places where its needed. I did put some on those bottom screws, but was really careful not to overload it and really only put on the very bottom of the threads.

I think the battery was moving around in there and one thing led to another eventually there were cracks from the stress of all that jumping with loose battery, they grew larger and then eventually just gave way.

But yeah keep loctite away from plastic, it can be an expensive lesson if not careful.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jimjam.nyc said:

I agree completely regarding the abuse.  I can't imagine any scenario (barring a very loose battery acting like a slide hammer, which would have been quite noticeable and shouldn't have been ignored) where the batteries eject through the bottom of the reinforced plastic covers on the bottom of the battery boxes unless the covers were already smashed badly from the outside.  Even still, I ride almost exclusively on rocky and rooty trails and have clipped my pedals on rocks more than a few times but my battery box ends are unscathed. 

Edited by stizl
  • Like 2

On 7/27/2023 at 10:22 AM, Rawnei said:

Weighing in around 105kg with gear I have to set full preload on the 66lb variant to get my desired sag which will then be between 25-30%, full preload vs no preload is night and day how the suspension feels because I loose so much travel otherwise, much more enjoyable with correct sag settings.

This turned out to be awesome advice, and spot-on - thank you.

Coming from absolute zero experience, I left the default suspension setup for the first few weeks, as I had no frame of reference to compare with anyway...

I weigh just a bit more (~110/115kg with gear/pack) and changed the preload - felt good with original, but waaaay friggin better after the change...

On 7/27/2023 at 2:03 PM, Rawnei said:

Wheel is 👌

Going up hills is truly effortless.

Titlback observation:

I changed tiltback to 70% PWM and tried to push my wheel on a straight, I hit about 60kmh but never hit my 80% PWM alarm (my max PWM was 78%), I think the tiltback is there, it's subtle, I can barely feel it when I'm pushing but it's working as in it increases how much intent I need to push through it so I guess it does what it supposed to and stops you from pushing too hard. I think my sweet spot might be around 72-74% PWM tiltback setting.

^I concur with the statement on hills. 

No problem whatsoever with repeatedly taking me up a ~100meter long singletrack running up a hill at something like  a ~30-50 degree angle (guesstimate; at various parts of trail/track)

Something odd though is that EUC World didn't sound any alarms going up the hill, but did throw safety margin alarms at other times when stopped.

Btw, am planning (if I can ever find the time before it ages too much) to do a writeup (with pics/vid) on my first 30 days with the Patton from someone who had never before stepped-foot on an EUC - if there is any interest...

Edited by Cyberwolf
  • Like 3