Begode sued Leaperkim?

RagingGrandpa

In September we learned about Leaperkim filing suit against Begod regarding the copycat design of Commander Pro...

But today, some new drama unfolded on Facebook: Kebye Gotway (an account affiliated with the Begode company) posted rather victoriously that a legal judgement had been made in their favor recently. And then the post was deleted within a few hours. Copies here.

:popcorn:

Edit: it was a lawsuit about a small detail (powerpads), skip to here:
 https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/30913-begode-sued-leaperkim/?do=findComment&comment=446489

20 hours ago, mrelwood said:

6B4806DA-4472-43BD-AF06-907BAD3994EC.thumb.jpeg.b50a2360f1ae70223c466958aa23f91d.jpeg

So… It was about pads. A lawsuit, about the pads. I thought only Americans have lawsuits as crucial and important as this.

Sounds like Veteran wheels will keep on coming just as they were before.

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul A said:

ZL 201110089122.9

I tried to lookup this patent and there wasn't much but seems like the OG electric unicycle patent from the Sean Chen guy, who as far as I understand isn't affiliated with any particular company, so I have a hard time seeing how this plays into the politics between the different companies but maybe someone else can clarify.

Chen holds the original US patent for what we now ride, he also holds hoverboard patents and a number of other doodads. He's been fighting Chinese copycats for years... forced IM to license the patent (and use his Solowheel name for a while) and I'm pretty sure US importers also pay him a fee else they wouldn't be able to import them. I have no idea what's going on between BG and LK but suspect there is a lot of bad blood between the two.

But if it plays out BG's way, LK will be paying BG to make wheels (license whatever LK was infringing) or won't make wheels at all.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul A said:

Guangzhou Laobird Intelligent Technology Co. Ltd is therefore Begode/Gotway.

I’m not sure if you’re joking…but just so that other people don’t get confused, Laobird is a literal translation of 老鸟, which is Leaperkim’s Chinese name. 

• Thanks 1

LeaperKim, also known as Guangzhou Veteran Intelligent Technology Co., Ltd.

This makes sense now.

鸟 translated to old bird, which can mean someone who is an old seasoned individual. And thus a veteran. 

And 比高 each character individually means "north, high", but by sounding, it resembles somewhat like Begode.

So what happens to all those who preordered the Sherman-S? Begode certainly doesn't want Leaper Kim to exist, so the royalty route not going to fly.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, techyiam said:

So what happens to all those who preordered the Sherman-S? Begode certainly doesn't want Leaper Kim to exist, so the royalty route not going to fly.

I'd give it a few weeks to settle out. Meantime LK is reported to have started shipping -S to end consumers (unverified, no blue checkmark on source). Either they didn't have much feedback from "the field" or the fixes were easy as pie. Or…

Dealers will know pretty soon. At least I would hope they're in the loop since they have money on the line.

Edited by Tawpie

Screen snip from a YouTube video by Zen Lee, dated Sep 16, 2022.

Is anyone able to search "Linnea Lin Veteran" and read his/her fully expanded postings, in the vicinity prior and subsequent to Sept 16, 2022?

And also any commentary from Begode/Gotway representatives.

LAWSUIT FILED Chinese EUC company Veteran SUES for COPYCATTING | Sherman S vs Commander Pro

13K subscribers

Sep 16, 2022

Zen-Lee-Begode-Veteran-Lawsuit.png

Edited by Paul A
  • Upvote 1

Look at the bottom left corner area for 老鸟. It looks like 老鸟 is Leaperkim's Chinese Company name in China.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/351839991621336/permalink/2478483715623609/?m_entstream_source=group&paipv=0&eav=AfZE8Zok8sxyFha_zIOboIwQY8HLXc7Nkl0cUajWtMifFhgh2HEjO5-LS6NdlIqpbLA

Edited by techyiam
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Look at the bottom left corner area for 老鸟. It looks like 老鸟 is Leaperkim's Chinese Company name in China.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/351839991621336/permalink/2478483715623609/?m_entstream_source=group&paipv=0&eav=AfZE8Zok8sxyFha_zIOboIwQY8HLXc7Nkl0cUajWtMifFhgh2HEjO5-LS6NdlIqpbLA

Thanks for link.

Unable to view as do not use or have a FB account.

The previous translations by members of 'LaoBird' seems to link it to the name of Veteran, albeit not LeaperKim.

If LeaperKim has lost the case, need to find out what the extent is.

What is covered by 'patent right of ZL 201110089122.9'?

A particular feature, model, suspension design, EUC's entirely......? 

Seems Leanna Lin Veteran made comment on the matter as early as November 16, 2020, as indicated by member eucVibes' earlier thread in the forum.

https://patents.google.com/patent/CN102275621B/en?oq=CN+201110089122

didn't read it closely, it's pretty old. Claim 8 covers suspension, interestingly claim 9 (the .9?) is for a carry handle.

Do remember that patents are generally considered to be revenue opportunities, they're so expensive to enforce that cross licensing is the traditional action. If LK feels that it's worth paying lawyers, they'll fight on. But if BG feels the same way and wants to put LK out of business—it'll be long and messy. I don't know if CN law has provisions for injunctions etc., that could affect availability of LK product.

Politics probably plays a part too, there are times when it's more important who your friends are than what you're doing.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Paul A said:

The patent seems to be very comprehensive.

Hopefully it does not mean LeaperKim is effectively prohibited from EUC manufacturing.

Implications for other EUC manufacturers...

It seems that we are all facing hard times.  Now that LK seems to be out of the game, BG can no longer copy the innovations of their former own employees, and must therefore resort to thinking and devising their own new models.  And all this just now when i believed that things could not get worse....

[ dark humor and irony may occur ;-) ]

• Like 1