KS22 Tire change is impossible

djkillermemestar

Need help on tire change!

My inner tube has a hole in it and i've been trying for 3 days to get my tire off without any success. I can get a small piece of the tire off but from there on it's literly impossible to go any further.

If anyone has any information or even beter a video of a KS S22 tire being taken off it would be highly appreciated!

I've done a tire change on my KS 14s without any issue, so i'm pretty sure i know what i'm doing, but any suggestion are welcome!

I'm using tire irons made for motorcycles.

1 hour ago, djkillermemestar said:

a video of a KS S22 tire being taken off

Watch the end of this video..

1 hour ago, djkillermemestar said:

I've done a tire change on my KS 14s without any issue, so i'm pretty sure i know what i'm doing, but any suggestion are welcome!

Maybe the bigger wheel makes it harder maybe this might help too..

I Don't know if you already know this so if you do , disregard. After you break both beads you need to push one at a time into the drop center (middle part) of the rim on the opposite side that you are prying on. Otherwise the tire wont have enough diameter to be pried off. So you push it into the center on one side and pry it on the other. as soon as you have a portion up hold it in place and continue around the rim. Also you can use dish soap and water mixture as a lubricant to assist your removal. Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I personally used 4x (5x would better..) these clamps. I pressed the tire sides together, so the bead would go easily into the "groove/middle" of the rim. And used more or less simply my hands to get the bead over the rim. Simply man handled it. :D (First time i used those plastic levers.. Second time when i needed to change the tire - was pissed off and simply raw strength the tire off the rim.:w00t2:) Only used those 4x clamps and my hands..

M/C tires are much harder to change. Compared to regular EUC tires like C-1488, H-5102, H666, so on.. You don't need any tools for those tires... (At least i and my dad didn't) My new Heidenau K66 M/C tire is completely different story.. Thankfully i had those clamps and regular small plastic bike tire levers.

bessey-317400-2.jpg

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I watched this video recently and was surprised at what a difference a road vs off road tire makes. It seems that knobbies aren't the best on single wheels.

Edited by Uras

1 hour ago, Uras said:

It seems that knobbies aren't the best on single wheels.

Tools for the job. If you're on the mean streets in generally decent weather then I'd agree. But as soon as you go off-road, or there are wet leaves and mud or sand or snow around then knobby wins the day over here every time... best chance we have for decent grip in all those situations I reckon. Apart from specifically snow and studs, but that kinda goes without saying and you want a knobby anyway if you're gonna do tyre studs !

Edited by Cerbera
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Uras said:

I watched this video recently and was surprised at what a difference a road vs off road tire makes. It seems that knobbies aren't the best on single wheels.

The profiles on those tires are radically different, so absolutely they won't handle anywhere near the same. Tires are definitely a matter of taste and suitability for your use case. So far I find the stock tire to be acceptable, I do want the knobby for playing in the dirt so I get to deal with the compromises.

On 12/20/2022 at 6:19 PM, Uras said:

It seems that knobbies aren't the best on single wheels.

It is personal preference. I recently installed a Kenda 340A street tire on my Sherman after 3k on the 262 knobby. I hate it, to the point that I no longer want to ride the wheel LOL. 

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/22/2022 at 4:20 PM, gon2fast said:

It is personal preference. I recently installed a Kenda 340A street tire on my Sherman after 3k on the 262 knobby. I hate it, to the point that I no longer want to ride the wheel LOL. 

yes, I can see that now. The knobbie in the video I looked at is a very square profile - quite a strange choice for a unicycle. Great for straight line and traction (not mud) or sandy / snow conditions.