KS s22 wont charge anymore?

RoboFixIt

17 hours ago, LeFotografion said:

if the 4.5v from the motherboard get send to the charger, to signal it should start charging. The get there, nothing happens

10 hours ago, Tawpie said:

it delays for a couple of seconds before starting charge (with a click), and clicks off when charge is complete

You hear this "clicks" @Tawpie described?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2022 at 8:23 PM, ElectronxCycles said:

Where did you buy it? Do you have a model # or link to the seller by any chance?

Sorry for the late reply. I didn’t get any notifications. This is the 10a charger it was bought at a group buy so I’m not sure where they got it. It’s up for sale if anyone is interested. 

image.jpg

On 12/9/2022 at 7:25 AM, LeFotografion said:

So my S22 won't charge. It stays in passive mode, so there is nor voltage applied to the plug. The S22 doesn't recognize something is being plugged it.

This occured after I installed a new motherboard, because my S22 had the motor issue which burned my old motherboard. But I didn't knew that at the time, so I plugged in the charger anyway. It showed a red error Message, I unplugged it, and 3 months later it doesn't work with the new motherboard. 

I already checked:

continuity between all cable's and connections. Everything is as supposed to be.

if the 4.5v from the motherboard get send to the charger, to signal it should start charging. The get there, nothing happens.

The chargeport and plug are clean and damageless.

The BMS is in good condition. Everything else also works as supposed to.

I cannot: take another charger to verify where the error is, because the next guy with the same charger is literally 400km away. A new charger costs damn 200.

What can I measure or do to make Shure it's either the motherboard or charger. 

I read that an eWheels customer had exactly the same thing happen... a burned motherboard, plugged in charger, charger died as a direct result. That rider got another charger from eWheels on warranty because, well, it's not supposed to happen like that. I suggest getting in touch with your retailer and make it a warranty claim. Good luck!

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

So I just got my S22 and right out of the box it would not turn on.Talked to the dealer and they said Kingsong said to plug it in for two days. They think the batteries got below minimums. It has been two days and nothing. The charger goes red for about three seconds and then green then back to red then green again and stays that way. I don't think it is charging it at all.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, DoctorP537 said:

So I just got my S22 and right out of the box it would not turn on.Talked to the dealer and they said Kingsong said to plug it in for two days. They think the batteries got below minimums. It has been two days and nothing. The charger goes red for about three seconds and then green then back to red then green again and stays that way. I don't think it is charging it at all.

does the display even show charging lights, have you checked with a multimeter from the charger, is it in transport mode, can you tell us a bit more

13 hours ago, stephen said:

does the display even show charging lights, have you checked with a multimeter from the charger, is it in transport mode, can you tell us a bit more

The display shows nothing. The green light comes on briefly when the charger light is red but goes out when the charger light goes green. Can tell if it is in transport mode because the app won’t connect even when the charger is plugged in. I don’t know how to test the charger to see if it is working correctly. 

1 hour ago, DoctorP537 said:

The display shows nothing. The green light comes on briefly when the charger light is red but goes out when the charger light goes green. Can tell if it is in transport mode because the app won’t connect even when the charger is plugged in. I don’t know how to test the charger to see if it is working correctly. 

I know sounds stupid but did they connect the batteries when shipped sometimes they disconnected them for safety

2 hours ago, stephen said:

I know sounds stupid but did they connect the batteries when shipped sometimes they disconnected them for safety

Are you talking about the yellow plugs when you take the display off? If so, those are plugged in. This is first wheel I’ve ever worked on so I’m learning as I go

• 1 month later...
On 12/9/2022 at 10:25 AM, LeFotografion said:

So my S22 won't charge. It stays in passive mode, so there is nor voltage applied to the plug. The S22 doesn't recognize something is being plugged it.

This occured after I installed a new motherboard, because my S22 had the motor issue which burned my old motherboard. But I didn't knew that at the time, so I plugged in the charger anyway. It showed a red error Message, I unplugged it, and 3 months later it doesn't work with the new motherboard. 

I already checked:

continuity between all cable's and connections. Everything is as supposed to be.

if the 4.5v from the motherboard get send to the charger, to signal it should start charging. The get there, nothing happens.

The chargeport and plug are clean and damageless.

The BMS is in good condition. Everything else also works as supposed to.

I cannot: take another charger to verify where the error is, because the next guy with the same charger is literally 400km away. A new charger costs damn 200.

What can I measure or do to make Shure it's either the motherboard or charger. 

@LeFotografion
Did you get your charger issue fixed??

Edited by I2x2

When I replaced the motherboard I also found the old charger did not work, I'm not sure why but I think there is some sort of motherboard/charging versioning compatibility. EWheels sent me a new charger for no cost and it works fine, although the charging behavior is a little different.

Edited by chanman

Unfortunately plugging a bad motherboard into the S22 charger fries the charger. Happened to me..

According to Jason @ at ewheels:

Yeah, we've seen several instances of this: after controller blows, & the charger is plugged in, it blows the charger as well, not very smart design...

32 minutes ago, chanman said:

I don't doubt it, but my board wasn't fried, just was replacing it, and neither was the charger, but it just refused to charge the new board.

interesting. I have the latest firmware (motherboard+BMS) and the same charger also worked with the older firmware.

Do you happen to know the revision # of the motherboard?

• 5 months later...

I was forced to use Inmotion v13 charger on my KS s22 - works fine. The plastic coating the wires leading OUT from the kingsong charger selfdestructs it seems.  The insulation on the electrical wires had hardened and embrittled. 

Making nail marks on that   cable is too easy.....  

• 5 months later...

I have had a breakthrough! 

Situation is s22 pro, nothing wrong with it, new charger won't charge it. 

So, I took my multimeter and tested the pins that should have power. 

Well, I have a loz meter which pulls a little bit more current to test. When I tested the pins, the charger fan started spinning for a second. 

In other words, the charger tried to charge. 

So, I plugged the charger into the s22 and on the other charge port, very carefully probed the same two pins, because I know the ports are connected. 

The charger started charging the wheel!! 

Another way to do this is to use a resistor or something DC that will draw a little current, but not blow up. 

I am going to make plugs who's only job it is, is to pull a tiny amount of current. 

That way, if someone has a charger that won't initiate, but otherwise works, they can get charging. 

Also, I am going to sole the problem as to why this is happening. I suspect it is something on the charger that is out of spec or miss set. Maybe the trim pot for standby voltage. This charger doesn't just sit plugged in with 126 volts on the line. No, it has only a few volts sitting, to test for the presence of a wheel. 

It appears that that resting voltage is slightly too low to pull enough current to initiate charging.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LightScience said:

So, I took my multimeter and tested the pins that should have power. 

Did you check the voltage the charger gives? This charger is known to have bad calibration and can be tuned easily.