V10F - zero range loss over 18 months and 9.000 kilometers

mhpr262

I did a range test today, on one of the last warm and dry days of autumn, 18 months after I purchased the wheel directly from the Inmotion Store in amazon, and I rolled over the 9,000 kilometer mark during the test. 

I used to get around 50-52 kilometers of range rolling along at 21-22 km/h when the wheel was still pretty new. I did one full range test back then, after that I usually extrapolated the range from the distance I covered and the % of battery capacity the Inmotion app listed as remaining (while taking into account that my V10F wont let me drain the battery below 13% or so. That means I can really only access 85-87% of the battery capacity). I have generally looked after the battery pretty well, but I also did quite a few 5A quick charges at temps not much above freezing last winter.

Today's range test (actual range, not extrapolated) surprisingly yielded a range of 56.6 kilometers, again at 21-22 km/h, on a day with noticeable breeze, slightly hilly terrain, some dirt road and towing an 18lbs shopping trolley over a distance of almost 6 kms. A pretty surprising result. The gain in range is most likely not real and can probably be explained by the fact that I have lost around 25lbs of weight since since March 2021 (down to 265 lbs from over 290), but it still goes to show that battery degradation really is the least problem of our wheels.

PS hopefully I will soon be able to ride my V10F and my V11 at a "legal" weight (120kg) for the first time ever!

Edited by mhpr262
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

"battery degradation really is the least problem of our wheels".

You're just lucky, or many people, me included, are unlucky. My v8 has covered 7000km and in the last month or so it's been shutting off at 40%, won't turn back on until charged again. I'm now battling the side panel to open it, so i can then look at the battery with a multimeter. There's got to be something wrong with some of the cells.

13 hours ago, Bogdanele said:

"battery degradation really is the least problem of our wheels".

You're just lucky, or many people, me included, are unlucky. My v8 has covered 7000km and in the last month or so it's been shutting off at 40%, won't turn back on until charged again. I'm now battling the side panel to open it, so i can then look at the battery with a multimeter. There's got to be something wrong with some of the cells.

Your issue is probably not related to battery degradation as much as insufficient balancing. Which is very common amongst EUCs, since the manufacturers don’t even explain how the charging should be done.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

9600+ km here and I still feel it's a really good wheel. Sturdy, reliable, lightweight. Guess these are good reasons we see little to no threads here about V10F. (I'm considering a V11 because of the sad state of local roads here)

I'm anyway waiting for the V10F mainboard replacement (I will create a detailed thread once everything is settled) because its voltage sensor is broken (reporting a higher voltage than measured with a meter/tester).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2023 at 9:15 PM, avevo said:

I'm anyway waiting for the V10F mainboard replacement (I will create a detailed thread once everything is settled) because its voltage sensor is broken (reporting a higher voltage than measured with a meter/tester).

On V11 and later Inmotions the voltage measurement can be calibrated remotely by Inmotion. Have you checked that this isn’t the case for the V10F as well?

• 7 months later...

Update almost exactly one year later (this was purely unintentional!), after now 12.000 kilometers: I did another range test, in warm weather (23°-25°C), slightly hilly terrain, some (maybe 5%) dirt roads, mostly at a leisurely pace of around 21-22km/h or slightly under that, rider weight PLUS GEAR! now slightly UNDER the weight limit of the V10F of 120kg, but no shopping trolley this time.

Result: 58.5 kilometers! A range gain of two kilometers compared to my result from a year ago :lol: The battery still seems to be in perfect working order.

I have to say I am pretty impressed, especially as I dont really baby the battery. It is my short range wheel, grocery getter and city runabaout wheel so I rarely discharge it below 30%, I only charge it to 100% right before I go on a ride, I almost never let it sit at 100% for long (1-2 days max) and I avoid exposing it to really high temperatures (like in a car parked in the sun) but I still do a 5A fast charge now and then.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, mhpr262 said:

I have to say I am pretty impressed, especially as I dont really baby the battery. It is my short range wheel, grocery getter and city runabaout wheel so I rarely discharge it below 30%, I only charge it to 100% right before I go on a ride, I almost never let it sit at 100% for long (1-2 days max) and I avoid exposing it to really high temperatures (like in a car parked in the sun) but I still do a 5A fast charge now and then.

If this is not babying the battery, then what is? I mean, what else would you do to prolong its life that you don't do?

Well, I could forego fast charging entirely, or I could limit charging to only 80 or 90% and only charge to 100% every fifth or tenth or whatever time for balancing, or I could only charge it inside my house during winter instead of in my garage where the temperature is only a couple degrees above zero. That would be babying in my book. The way I have been treating my battery so far costs me pretty much no extra effort at all. 

Edited by mhpr262

On 2/2/2023 at 8:27 PM, mrelwood said:

On V11 and later Inmotions the voltage measurement can be calibrated remotely by Inmotion. Have you checked that this isn’t the case for the V10F as well?

Inmotion did this for my V8F, but I doubt it was a true calibration. They just set the reported voltage to 84 volts, despite what the actual voltage was on my pack, which I suspect was more like 83.6 volts or so due to the time spent waiting for email response after I emailed them that I did a full charge with the stock charger before they did the "calibration", about 15 minutes or so.

Edited by rcgldr

The cells can't hold the same charge after 9000km, but it decreases very slowly. 

I read a study done on Panasonic/Sanyo cells and for them is stabilized around 80% of original capacity for thousands of cycles, without much sign of reduction.

This or course assumes a working bms with proper balancing.

Also, the cells can be healthy but degrade unevenly in the pack which puts a lot of pressure on a bms (more balancing required).

If cells maintained perfect match as they age we wouldn't need balancing.

• Upvote 1