Sherman-S 3600wh: 100V, 20", suspension, 97lb

23 hours ago, Unicycle Santa said:

Furthermore, having that piece of metal extend downwards that far would allow some pretty extreme torsional forces to be applied under heavy riding...

This is already what's happening though. The green box shows where the battery case is attached, so everything below the red line is "extended downward" the same distance as the proposed pedal hanger.

The only thing stopping the lower half of the cases from flexing inward (when standing on the pedals) is their rigidity. It should be even easier to make a steel pedal hanger that doesn't flex. 

The only downside I see is some additional width. Like you said, the sleeve would need to wrap around the fat part of the fork (and continue downward over the axle/lower suspension mount). However I don't think half an inch or whatever on either side is a deal breaker.

Veteran_Sherman_S_Electric_Unicycle__58656.jpg

Edited by InfiniteWheelie
  • Like 1

For an electric wheel, the rider is the primary load. The battery packs are secondary. 

The thing is, the Sherman-S is marketed as a wheel that accommodates both standing and seated riding.

In order to support both a seated and standing rider, making the battery structural is reasonable. They just need to be adequately designed and rigidly fastened, especially at the top to the controller module / seat assembly, and to the structs' outer tubes. Mind you, making both suspension structs the same on both sides would have reduced a lot of stresses.

@techyiam The battery case doesn't need to be structural at all. 

In my suggestion the entire top area (seat/controller etc.) would mount directly on top of the fork clamp, so all the sitting weight goes straight to the forks.

Likewise each pedal hanger would mount directly to each fork, so all the standing weight goes straight to the forks too.

Edited by InfiniteWheelie
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Unicycle Santa said:

Regardless of if I want it or not, seems my Sherman S has shipped early from GTKing! If it comes down to it I can always (hopefully) sell it, but for now I'm decently excited. When I get it I will be doing a full teardown to find anything that needs polishing, trimming, etc and then I will silicone the hell out of anything that needs it before reassembly.

Congrats. You are now the proud owner of a Sherman-S.

As you speed through 45+ mph, you will need reminding that a V13 is still to come. 🙂

Can wait to hear what you think of the Sherman-S.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, InfiniteWheelie said:

The battery case doesn't need to be structural at all. 

In my suggestion the entire top area (seat/controller etc.) would mount directly on top of the fork clamp, so all the sitting weight goes straight to the forks.

You have look where the rider is going to sit and load up the suspension structs (fork tubes). The rider sits at the rear. That load has to be transmitted to the structs. You need to somehow tied the top structure to the brace that clamps onto the top part of the structs.

In the current form, the battery cases span the full width of the wheel. So the stress has the potential to be distributed across the whole top structure which spans the width of the wheel (front-to-back).

I’ve been enjoying this thread. Preordered 10-4 from ewheels, sorry Funky, and am excited to look at it for months before riding it because it’s winter in Idaho. 

pretty sure I’ll make a trip to st George or Vegas though to put some miles in and escape winter for a bit. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Unicycle Santa said:

Also, I came across this option for a comfy seat

Good find. That seat looks comfy.

But if you are already accessorizing, hmmm......

Aren't you forgetting you have a V13 coming? 🙂

19 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Good find. That seat looks comfy.

But if you are already accessorizing, hmmm......

Aren't you forgetting you have a V13 coming? 🙂

The v13 will be a while before it ships out to me, probably another few weeks. I am hoping in that time more information comes out that will solidify my choice of either wheel. If I decide to go v13, I'll sell the Sherman when I receive it. If I decide to keep the Sherman, I'll just cancel the v13 order.

1 hour ago, Unicycle Santa said:

The v13 will be a while before it ships out to me, probably another few weeks. I am hoping in that time more information comes out that will solidify my choice of either wheel. If I decide to go v13, I'll sell the Sherman when I receive it. If I decide to keep the Sherman, I'll just cancel the v13 order.

I hope you that you get to try out your Sherman-S before you have to decide on what you are going to do with your V13 preorder.

I suspect you will have a reaction when you try out your first one hundred lbs. wheel. 

24 minutes ago, Unicycle Santa said:

The joys of buying batch 1 have begun 😂IMG_20221130_091113_451.thumb.jpg.fe5e35fb8b0827d3ea7de7436dc78136.jpg

Now, the plot thickens, especially for you. 

Should you decide not to cancel your V13 preorder, you may actually receive your V13 before your Sherman-S?

Can you still back out from your Sherman-S preorder in light of this new development?

On a positive note, it is encouraging that Leaper Kim is trying to resolve as many early batch issues as possible before shipping them off to the distributors. Now the distributors have one less headache to contend with at a later date.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Unicycle Santa said:

Unfortunately the seller actually sent me a video of my Sherman S packaged up with the shipping label being loaded onto the truck, ...

So looks like whatever issues leaperkim found I will be dealing with.

Oh no. Sorry to hear that.

16 minutes ago, Unicycle Santa said:

I still hold that their wheels look much more polished and proper, but only time will tell.

Inmotion does seem to give the impression that they have learnt their lesson with the V12, and are now doubling down on quality. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, techyiam said:

Oh no. Sorry to hear that.

Inmotion does seem to give the impression that they have learnt their lesson with the V12, and are now doubling down on quality. 

I agree, inmotion really seems to be building a quality unit this time around. I'm just skeptical about the suspension.

After talking to Jason at eWheels, he says all that Leaperkim is changing is an improved charge port flap and a better motor bearing. I'm not aware of any failures with the original bearing but it's good to know there's nothing serious going on.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Unicycle Santa said:

I agree, inmotion really seems to be building a quality unit this time around. I'm just skeptical about the suspension.

After talking to Jason at eWheels, he says all that Leaperkim is changing is an improved charge port flap and a better motor bearing. I'm not aware of any failures with the original bearing but it's good to know there's nothing serious going on.

I could see water getting into the charge ports.

4 hours ago, techyiam said:

Dunno… it feels like V13 is an example of how the safest to date battery design could look like. For showcase sake only?… I feel like V13 might be a still-born baby: (hopefully) safe, reliable wheel of unmanageable size and average performance.

Imagine if a couple of years ago InMotion built a wheel competing with Sherman OG the same way we now assume V13 may compete with Sherman-S. Then it would be a (non-suspension) 45kg+ wheel with a shorter range. This would mean a total overkill provided most of riders didn’t need any higher reliability than OG Sherman over the last years of riding Shermans.

(And it might also be that InMotion started developing V13 about that time LeaperKim were about to release Abrams with high expectations, which might set them even further off-track with V13’s diameter and weight.)

Edited: I mean, Sherman-S is a better option than V13 if Sherman-S's durability at least equal to OG Sherman. This is not even taking into account superior suspension design.

Edited by That Guy
Confusing :-)
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Unicycle Santa said:

The joys of buying batch 1 have begun 😂IMG_20221130_091113_451.thumb.jpg.fe5e35fb8b0827d3ea7de7436dc78136.jpg

There was a bit of noise about bearing problems on the RS after I had bought mine, oh well having to change my bearings probably isn't the worst problem to have.  But after a couple of years I'm still on the original bearings with my Batch 1 RS . . . 

At worst I'll end up replacing the bearings on my Sherman-S if they prove to be problematic at some point.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, That Guy said:

I feel like V13 might be a still-born baby: (hopefully) safe, reliable wheel of unmanageable size and average performance.

I feel like Inmotion decisively took a big gamble on being able to out-Sherman the Sherman at the time of inception. I think it's still too early to say that performance is average, or insufficient for its intended market. Unmanageable size? Probably in the eye of the beholder. 

I don't know, judging by preorders, I don't think V13 is doing that badly. 

Imagine if a couple of years ago InMotion built a wheel competing with Sherman OG the same way we now assume V13 may compete with Sherman-S. Then it would be a (non-suspension) 45kg+ wheel with a shorter range. This would mean a total overkill provided most of riders didn’t need any higher reliability than OG Sherman over the last years of riding Shermans.

Wouldn't have happened. No one was thinking to go big or go home back then. Only Leaper Kim did. My guess is that somebody (maybe even be Jason @ eWheels) had an idea to build a big heavy fast wheel for the US market? It was a big risk for Leaper Kim to jump in with both feet. There were no reasons for Inmotion to take that kind of risks then. The electric wheel community wasn't aware yet that they wanted a Sherman type wheel.

Regarding safety, back then, the Gotway 900 Wh battery packs weren't out long enough for the fires to be that big a concern. Not sure about cutouts, though. With V13, I suspect Inmotion doesn't want a repeat of the V12 launch, and wants to earn back their reputation as being a manufacturer of safe and reliable electric wheels. 

And it might also be that InMotion started developing V13 about that time LeaperKim were about to release Abrams with high expectations, which might set them even further off-track with V13’s diameter and weight.

Don't know. But around the time the V12 was being hyped, Madpack leaked a rumor that Inmotion was working on a wheel which was based on the V11 and V12. They also wanted to build a wheel to compete with LeaperKim. But you could be right about the Abrams influence. But oddly, I don't find the size of the Abrams unmanageable. 

Edited: I mean, Sherman-S is a better option than V13 if Sherman-S's durability at least equal to OG Sherman. This is not even taking into account superior suspension design.

Maybe for your use case? If I can make the Abrams work for my use case, I would definitely consider the V13. I do have to say though, Leaper Kim did do a good job on the Sherman-S. 

Ultimately, before I pull the trigger on my next wheel, I will have to test ride, the Sherman-S, V13, and possibly the Commander Pro / EX30. I would also consider a Kingsong if they have something interesting by then.

Edited by techyiam
  • Upvote 2