Master suspension modifications

3 hours ago, EMA said:

same setup here, amazing.

i've designed a +1mm lower linkage to fit the coil easier with bigger spring also, you can find it here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f9e9a6nzohb9lh2/AACKmfN4XqpIoexfK3fFAEyWa?dl=0

I will definitely check this out when I get home. It could be nice to fit a bigger spring in there if needed. Things are tight with the stock spring.

1 minute ago, Magman116 said:

I will definitely check this out when I get home. It could be nice to fit a bigger spring in there if needed. Things are tight with the stock spring.

up to 1500lbs is fine with stock link, but one guy on TG with the 1800lbs had issue so i modified the design

9 minutes ago, EMA said:

up to 1500lbs is fine with stock link, but one guy on TG with the 1800lbs had issue so i modified the design

Which spring are you running on yours?  I have the 1000, 1300, and 1500 lb. springs and currently use the 1300 and seems to be fine for my weight 180-190Lbs (~80-85Kg) 

Just now, Magman116 said:

Which spring are you running on yours?  I have the 1000, 1300, and 1500 lb. springs and currently use the 1300 and seems to be fine for my weight 180-190Lbs (~80-85Kg) 

72kg using 1250lbs, absolutely stunning compared to other wheels ;)

1 minute ago, EMA said:

72kg using 1250lbs, absolutely stunning compared to other wheels ;)

Cool. So you are not too much less than me.  I do agree, it is so much  better than the stock shock; makes it fell like a different wheel.

2 hours ago, Magman116 said:

So, it would be worth it to change from the H-666 to the SR-244?

If you don’t like the current behavior, then it’s absolutely worth it to try.

2 hours ago, Magman116 said:

I still have concerns with the SR-244 after riding with the CST-184 knobby tire that would throw the wheel to the side in the turn then nearly refuse to stand back up after the turn.

That’s exactly the “falling into a turn” behavior I meant. Though, in my understanding the SR244 isn’t as bad as the C-186.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello 

Would you have a link a video for the installation of the DNM coil suspension (with upgrade spring adapted to our weight), without repoval of the batteries/original linkage?

Do you know if Marty also installed this suspension model in its last modification to a coil fork suspension? I saw a post on Instagram and a video should be posted soon.

Thank you

• Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 5:20 AM, Cice said:

Hello 

Would you have a link a video for the installation of the DNM coil suspension (with upgrade spring adapted to our weight), without repoval of the batteries/original linkage?

Do you know if Marty also installed this suspension model in its last modification to a coil fork suspension? I saw a post on Instagram and a video should be posted soon.

Thank you

When I bought the DNM shock it comes with instructions on swapping the spring. Its very simple. Removing the suspension is also pretty straight forward. I dont have a video but you can probably do it without one. You dont have to remove or disconnect the batteries but if you rest the wheel on its kickstand, you can unscrew the batteries so they dangle loosely and just use something under them to secure them from falling over... You dont want tension on the battery cables. Once you deflated the existing shock its just a matter of unscrewing the bolts and removing it. When you install the new one, do the lower bolt first and slowly extend the wheel until the second hole lines up with your linkeage and tighten it all back up.... I will have a video of this process soon but Im waiting for my 1500lb spring to arrive.. Marty Backe (electric unicycles on youtube) just did an install with a very similar shock, you can use that for reference, minus the part where he grinds his master for the specific shock he used... I had to take my master apart the first day I got it to replace the rear LED light. You have to take it apart pretty far to get to that wiring, but the master is so simply put together its like lego pieces. You'll be fine!

• Like 1

I am working on a volume reducer for the original suspension. 

I did some measuring tests today in my diy test rig. The graph looks promising.  Can probably use even bigger reducer. But I will do some practical drop tests this weekend to find out if it is needed or not.

The graph show the pressure change per mm travel with and without a volume reducer mounted. 

Starting psi 100Psi. This is low, but the change in % should be the same no matter the starting pressure. So the graph shape should be valid no matter the starting pressure.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClCY4jkMzla/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Edited by EUCzero
  • Upvote 2

i've cutted 1 modified linkage, simple as stock one but with improved geometry that use 40mm shock travel.

need to test it more but already feel as a great upgrade, gone from 1250 spring to 750 immediately

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EMA said:

i've cutted 1 modified linkage, simple as stock one but with improved geometry that use 40mm shock travel.

need to test it more but already feel as a great upgrade, gone from 1250 spring to 750 immediately

Did you change all the arms/plates?

This with a small volume reducer,  I think even the stock shock will do for most.

• Upvote 1

On 11/16/2022 at 2:45 AM, CrunchyTire said:

When I bought the DNM shock it comes with instructions on swapping the spring. Its very simple. Removing the suspension is also pretty straight forward. I dont have a video but you can probably do it without one. You dont have to remove or disconnect the batteries but if you rest the wheel on its kickstand, you can unscrew the batteries so they dangle loosely and just use something under them to secure them from falling over... You dont want tension on the battery cables. Once you deflated the existing shock its just a matter of unscrewing the bolts and removing it. When you install the new one, do the lower bolt first and slowly extend the wheel until the second hole lines up with your linkeage and tighten it all back up.... I will have a video of this process soon but Im waiting for my 1500lb spring to arrive.. Marty Backe (electric unicycles on youtube) just did an install with a very similar shock, you can use that for reference, minus the part where he grinds his master for the specific shock he used... I had to take my master apart the first day I got it to replace the rear LED light. You have to take it apart pretty far to get to that wiring, but the master is so simply put together its like lego pieces. You'll be fine!

Thank you!

AAAAGH

This FUCKING SUSPENSION makes me crazy.
Seems like the suspension is already compressed a few mm when mounted in the Master linkage. So I did not have as much room for the volume reducer as I expected.
Do not use them yet. I need to get design them to be shorter, but still high volume.  GGGGggg. The shock bottomed out before the sliders did on todays testing on the trails. That's not good ;)

I have dismantled and mounted/unmounted the shocks on my Master more than 20 times now. Starts to become tiresome.
New sizes should be ready later tonight.

Also...... with the new linkage Begode is coming up with. Hopefully we will not need any volume reducers on top of that. But I continue my development anyway. because I need a fix now, not tomorrow.

• Like 1

Begode announced it on Facebook today. As a first they only published some files for everyone to make their own linkage. Just give to files to anyone that cut steel with baset on files.

Also Alienrides want to make a bulk production. Later, Begode might also make and sell, but it is probably cheaper to buy locally due to expensive shipment compared to production cost.

You have a lot to read: 😃😉

https://m.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/permalink/5647210008710249/

Edited by EUCzero
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes I did see it. :)
And that is the reason the volume reducer work. It compensates for the lack of travel of the shock. I do not share the same measurements of travel, but the video explains it well. This video is probably also the reason why Begode now are designing new linkage. 

Thingiverse.com is now updated with the true and tested 23 milli liter volume reducer.

PS.... Do not use this size for the T4. It is to big for the T4.

Edited by EUCzero

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2022 at 11:57 AM, EUCzero said:

AAAAGH

This FUCKING SUSPENSION makes me crazy.
Seems like the suspension is already compressed a few mm when mounted in the Master linkage. So I did not have as much room for the volume reducer as I expected.
Do not use them yet. I need to get design them to be shorter, but still high volume.  GGGGggg. The shock bottomed out before the sliders did on todays testing on the trails. That's not good ;)

I have dismantled and mounted/unmounted the shocks on my Master more than 20 times now. Starts to become tiresome.
New sizes should be ready later tonight.

Also...... with the new linkage Begode is coming up with. Hopefully we will not need any volume reducers on top of that. But I continue my development anyway. because I need a fix now, not tomorrow.

How did you determine that the spacer was limiting shock travel rather than the suspension linkages? I've got some fox volume spacers I'm going to try in the stock shock. I want to put 2 spacers in there to make total spacer volume be 1.6 cubic inches, but I'm afraid it'll bind the shock up because they are too tall. Also they're going to be a lose fit, do you think this will be an issue? Thanks.

Edited by sffish