Sherman Max BT LOY error?

Planemo

I have heard via Faceache that someone had a BT LOY error on a Max. I was very surprised by this.

There was mention made that this is related to a problem with US sourced packs.

Treat neither of these statements as fact, I just wanted to know if anyone here knows anything about this.

Yes, I saw a video of the error; there's apparently two people (or more now?)

So we all know at this point that there are 'bms protector' 3d pieces for the original sherman. I don't believe they've been specifically modified for the shermax's litech setup - there is supposed protrusion in comparison to the begode batteries which might cause wear. If this is contributing to the bms problem that was previously seen from the og sherman panels rubbing, we'll find out soon enough. 

OK I guess that makes sense. Theres every chance that the component protrusions on the LiTech BMS' are in different locations to those on the Veteran packs. Firstly that would make all the rib removal they did null and void.

Secondly if the components are indeed even higher on the Litech packs, the stock spacers that Veteran installed on the later models might not be tall enough as you say.

Personally I would rather see rib removal in the correct place than extending the spacers even more as all it would do is put unnecessary strain on the side panel screws.

Interesting, thanks for that.

5 hours ago, Planemo said:

Personally I would rather see rib removal in the correct place than extending the spacers even more as all it would do is put unnecessary strain on the side panel screws.

The Sherman Max side panels Already have All the ribs removed from factory (the inside surface is completely smooth), making this recent BMS issue even more curious IMO!

Veteran-Sherman-MAX-side-panels

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Planemo said:

In fact I didn't know that LiTech Shermans were available, I thought it was just some Begode wheels 

Begode never made Any LiTech wheels, as ONLY @Jason McNeil/eWheels have the exclusive relationship with LiTech for Veteran and Begode wheels.

You'll remember there was a drama recently with Begode taking pre-orders for the Master on the basis of LiTech packs being fitted, when that was Never gonna happen!

From the several reports I've heard of so far, the Sherman Max BMS issues have All been eWheels versions, but I do stand to be corrected on that fact.

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

Yeah sorry I didn't word that very well. I meant I thought that only Begode wheels were supplied with LiTech (from Jason), not Veteran wheels. But I guess he's doing Veterans as well. Not sure why, it's not exactly like Shermans have a habit of going nuclear. In fact, aside from the early BMS/rib problems I don't think theres been many issues at all on stock Sherman cells/BMS'.

So this could be yet another headache for Jason then...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2022 at 9:55 AM, MaxMan said:

(ewheels) Max owner with a BT LOY issue

I've got a local rider in the same situation... sad to see.

On 6/23/2022 at 10:50 AM, Planemo said:

component protrusions on the LiTech BMS' are in different locations

LiTech SherMax packs used an additional, inline PCB, last we saw... a very different layout than Leaperkim's packs.

On 1/10/2022 at 11:42 AM, RagingGrandpa said:

deployed to Sherman Max now:

AM-JKLWTsNZ2A0ZObL2RGufJ-eef5rb0HG9c8vZ318E37R-yXEro_bcgl9koNYm-O3XDvgvGLEsUGoyaEMcWZVkEFlfF4QRkKaTISvsSrqbUIhKdNsrPcykNULKY1MS1NnefS81ldjAIb0iHzlMndgcW_hMk5w=w747-h336-no?authuser=0

https://www.facebook.com/groups/509001630141079/posts/652895425751698/

(eWheels' site says the cells are 21700 50E)

With so little room left inside the Sherm shell, looks like they had to use a daughterboard to package the 'tall' components (shutoff FETs). It'll keep them from being crushed and damaged from impact to the side of the EUC, ok. Hope all the leads are logic signals and not direct to cells...

• Upvote 1

On 7/2/2022 at 8:55 AM, MaxMan said:

He’s had the wheel since May, and it looks like his BMS supplier may have just finished a repair. According to FexEx, it looks like I will get my wheel back sometime in the next week. I’ll see how it performs. 

Keep us updated.  There are probably many people on the fence at the moment.

• Upvote 1

I had the same issue on the original Sherman I bought earlier this year so not sure if it only happens to the Max.  Technically it happened on 2 as the replacement for the first one also had the same problem.  Both were brand new. 

What ended up happening was the first one I sent back was fixed by the seller and returned to me and has been working great ever since.  I did ask what the issue was and was told that the first wheel had unbalanced batteries and it was fixed easily.  I asked if it was something I could have done to fix it and was told that their technician had to open and balance it so it's probably not something that I could do.

By the way the dealer (Freemotion) I bought it from was great and I did not have to pay any of the shipping cost to return the wheels. 

• Like 3

I am a Sherman Max owner that started experiencing extreme tiltback going 20-something mph with 90% battery charge.  It is now displaying the "bt LoY" warning. Batteries are fully charged, indicating 99.5 on both sides, as measured at the XT90 connectors with everything unplugged.   It will ride normally about 300 feet then fully tilt back. no beeps. Working on finding a solution.

8 minutes ago, Phi1osopher said:

Working on finding a solution.

Contact your reseller.  It's a bms error.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I also have the BT LOY issue. So it looks like there is a BMS on both batteries. So I’ve unplugged my left side battery pack, powered it back on and the BT LOY error message was still there. Then I plugged it back in and unplug the right side battery pack, powered it back on and voilà the BT LOY error message is gone the tilt back is gone and I can ride it upright again. Yes….! Feels so great I got my baby back….??? My question now is can/should I ride my Sherman with only one battery, will it do any damage the battery management system or mess anything else up? Should I ride it until my new (right side) BMS is replaced/repaired  or my best bet is to wait till its fix to avoid further damage to my beloved Sherman.? Thank you in advance for any help or advice. Much appreciate it! Best Regards 

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 1:06 PM, Phi1osopher said:

Thank you.  EWheels had me return my Sherman Max (right) battery packs to be repaired. I got it back abut 2 weeks later, apparently good as new.

All right you did get it fixed. Congratulations man I know it sucks with a Sherman broken. Happy riding bro.