Gotway Nikola+ vs AR+ differences?

Pooscout

Hello guys,

There are so many version of the Nikola+ that it is becoming confusing. The regular Nikola and the 1845 Nikola+ apparently has better speaker than the RS+ according to one youtuber (please confirm if it accurate or not). However, the 1845 Nikola+ is no longer available on ewheels. https://www.ewheels.com/product/new-gotway-nikola-1800wh-battery-2000w-motor-3-wide-tire/

The new ewheel Nikola+ has less Wh---yet has longer range than the 2019 model?

Meanwhile EUCO has the new 2700Wh as the RS+ for the exact same price. https://www.euco.us/products/gotway-nikola-electric-unicycle?variant=39633916067974 EUCO claim you can get 65 to 95 miles range while Alien Rides claim only 50 miles or more instead. Which would be less than the 1451Wh ewheels model at 70 mile range (@20mph). 

For comparison here is the RS+ https://alienrides.com/products/nikola-ar-plus-electric-unicycle RS+ has more lights, but is that the only differences?

Both EUCO and RS+ use the same Begode LG M50LT cells while the ewheels version use the upgraded Molicel P42A cells which they claim "improved hill-climbing, higher sustained max high-speed, larger safety margin, cell longevity, & faster charging potential". Why doesn't ewheels have the 2700Wh Nikola, or was it sold out?

Yet an important factor to consider is that with an additional 5A charger, the ewheels version can quick charge from 0% to 80% in just 2 hours, which is a game changer. 

TLDR; which of these should I buy? I am looking for the most amount of range. EXN would be a dream but probably not for a beginner. 

Thank you.

Pooscout

Edited by Pooscout
Wrote RS+ instead of AR+
  • Like 1

Range is only about battery size. With very few exceptions (which do not apply here), you'll get the same range from a given battery size, no matter the wheel. A Wh is a Wh. Do not believe any manufacturer or dealer range claims, these are somewhere between wildly off and plain lies.

If you want range from a Nikola, get the 2700Wh Nikola (or the Nikola AR+ which is a fancy light Alienrides version of that), obviously.

But the real point of importance is that you apparently want an EXN much more! If that is the case, get the EXN! I don't think there is a meaningful difference in learning to ride between those two. You can learn on any wheel anyways.

You can still choose between HT and HS version of the EXN. Want the Nik? Get the Nik! But if your heart wants the EXN, get an EXN! (They are both 2700Wh so their ranges will be the same.)

Here's a list of wheels by range, in case it helps you:

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, alcatraz said:

If you are impatient maybe a Nikola because it's durable = more riding and less tinkering/patching.

If you want to get possibly the last euc you will ever need then RS/EX.N. But you don't ever want to crash it.

I just figured that the EXN might be a better deal since it's only $300 more than the RS+, but meepmeepmayer mentioned that both EUC have the same range. I actually prefer the RS+ over the EXN because it is the most water-proof of any EUC.

Thank you

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Range is only about battery size. With very few exceptions (which do not apply here), you'll get the same range from a given battery size, no matter the wheel. A Wh is a Wh. Do not believe any manufacturer or dealer range claims, these are somewhere between wildly off and plain lies.

If you want range from a Nikola, get the 2700Wh Nikola (or the Nikola AR+ which is a fancy light Alienrides version of that), obviously.

But the real point of importance is that you apparently want an EXN much more! If that is the case, get the EXN! I don't think there is a meaningful difference in learning to ride between those two. You can learn on any wheel anyways.

You can still choose between HT and HS version of the EXN. Want the Nik? Get the Nik! But if your heart wants the EXN, get an EXN! (They are both 2700Wh so their ranges will be the same.)

Here's a list of wheels by range, in case it helps you:

I wanted the EXN because of its range, but if the RS+ has the same range, then I would prefer the RS+ for its water-proof capability, durability, design, and LEDs. Do you know if the RS+ has weaker speaker compare to the regular Nikola+? Both would have 2700Wh battery and both design look good to me.

Thank you so much. You have been so helpful!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Also, an RS/EX.N is harder to ride but it's stable as a truck. Sluggish. Power pads necessary+annoying.

Nikola is probably zippier like a normal car. Easier to ride. Power pads optional.

I agree with the overall meaning, but I just wanted to add that powerpads aren’t a necessity on any wheel. If you want to be able to push a wheel to its mechanical limits, then sure. But I appreciate the difference in higher torque wheels without needing lean pads. Just lean more.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pooscout said:

TLDR; which of these should I buy? I am looking for the most amount of range. EXN would be a dream but probably not for a beginner. 

I know you're looking for max range but there are other things to consider along with range.  The Nikola has better weather proofing and the shell is more robust than either the RS or EX/N.  

14 hours ago, Pooscout said:

RS+ has more lights, but is that the only differences?

Yeah the Nikola AR+ just has some extra lights. Maybe the speakers are different, I don't know. Anyways, no big difference overall to the regular 2700Wh Nikola.

It came out shortly before the official Nikola with 2700Wh, so back then a 2700Wh Nikola variant was a new thing. That explains why there is no big difference between the two Nikolas. Possibly Begode just started offering the "normal" 2700Wh Nikola because they saw that the AR+ was a good idea when they were manufacturing it.

By the way (this was very confusing and I didn't catch it earlier): it's AR+ (AR for Alien Rides), not RS+. The Begode RS is another wheel.

-

Side question: Do you have a specific intended range? (Asking just to be sure.) Never believe manufacturer/dealer numbers. This guy got 85 miles, which seems very realistic for a normal weight guy going normal speeds. (It's the only 2700Wh Nik range test I could quickly find.)

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Denny Paul said:

I agree with the overall meaning, but I just wanted to add that powerpads aren’t a necessity on any wheel. If you want to be able to push a wheel to its mechanical limits, then sure. But I appreciate the difference in higher torque wheels without needing lean pads. Just lean more.

Doesn't the powerpads help you maintain balance better as well?

Thank you

1 hour ago, Paradox said:

I know you're looking for max range but there are other things to consider along with range.  The Nikola has better weather proofing and the shell is more robust than either the RS or EX/N.  

Thank you for the confirmation and I could not agree more. After spending two weeks of research, I do believe the Nikola+/AR+ is the right EUC for me. 

29 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Yeah the Nikola AR+ just has some extra lights. Maybe the speakers are different, I don't know. Anyways, no big difference overall to the regular 2700Wh Nikola.

It came out shortly before the official Nikola with 2700Wh, so back then a 2700Wh Nikola variant was a new thing. That explains why there is no big difference between the two Nikolas. Possibly Begode just started offering the "normal" 2700Wh Nikola because they saw that the AR+ was a good idea when they were manufacturing it.

By the way (this was very confusing and I didn't catch it earlier): it's AR+ (AR for Alien Rides), not RS+. The Begode RS is another wheel.

-

Side question: Do you have a specific intended range? (Asking just to be sure.) Never believe manufacturer/dealer numbers. This guy got 85 miles, which seems very realistic for a normal weight guy going normal speeds. (It's the only 2700Wh Nik range test I could quickly find.)

Yes, I meant AR+ instead of RS+. My specific intended range would be that of the Begode Monster Pro or Veteran Sherman MAX (150 miles range at 15 to 20mph or 60 miles range at 25mph), but I realized at those range, there will be more trade-offs and compromises, especially with weights. I weight around 150 lbs, so I would probably get max range if I ride conservatively. 

Do you know why ewheels doesn't have the 2700Wh Nikola+? Based on Youtube feedbacks, according to many folks, ewheels has the best customer support while Alien Rides has the longest warrantly coverage. I haven't heard much about EUCO.

Thank you for the video and your inputs, and a great first impression of the EUC community!

• Pooscout changed the title to Gotway Nikola+ vs AR+ differences?
6 minutes ago, Pooscout said:

Doesn't the powerpads help you maintain balance better as well?

Thank you

I'd say no. Good balance is all in the feet, and how you choose to distribute your weight. Riding loose in general is best.

The only time where powerpads are required is if you have goals of getting airborne. Bobbling down steps, or even bumping up a or two curb can be done without powerpads or toe/heel hooks. By airborne, I mean jumping your wheel by lifting it with your legs, or going off some ramps. In that case, you'll need them to keep the wheel from wandering away from you when you're both airborne.

Sounds like the AR+ is the perfect wheel for you! Not too heavy, powerful and fast, goes far, robust build, quite waterproof, fun to ride. And with your low weight, you'll get notably more range than the average rider.

22 minutes ago, Pooscout said:

Do you know why ewheels doesn't have the 2700Wh Nikola+

No idea. They do offer a Nikola, so why not a 2700Wh one, with their own battery packs? It could be a coincidence of events: they had a battery fire in their shipping container a while ago (which made them go with their own battery pack supplier), they had a period where they didn't buy new Begode wheels due to this, maybe the Nik 2700Wh just came in the middle of all that and that made it fall through the cracks? Maybe it's not worth bothering if Alien Rides is selling one with shiny extra lights anyways? I can only guess.

You can email ewheels and ask, they sure have a reputation for quick and good customer support. But I wouldn't worry one bit about Alien Rides either.

7 hours ago, Denny Paul said:

True. I just wanted to point out that the bigger wheel accelerates slower than smaller wheels until you find a way to increase rider input.

7 hours ago, Denny Paul said:

I'd say no. Good balance is all in the feet, and how you choose to distribute your weight. Riding loose in general is best.

The only time where powerpads are required is if you have goals of getting airborne. Bobbling down steps, or even bumping up a or two curb can be done without powerpads or toe/heel hooks. By airborne, I mean jumping your wheel by lifting it with your legs, or going off some ramps. In that case, you'll need them to keep the wheel from wandering away from you when you're both airborne.

Would going airborne void the warrantly and decrease the product durability/life-span? I saw a video of a Nikola (not sure if it the plus version or not) that caught fire after going downstair. 

6 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Sounds like the AR+ is the perfect wheel for you! Not too heavy, powerful and fast, goes far, robust build, quite waterproof, fun to ride. And with your low weight, you'll get notably more range than the average rider.

No idea. They do offer a Nikola, so why not a 2700Wh one, with their own battery packs? It could be a coincidence of events: they had a battery fire in their shipping container a while ago (which made them go with their own battery pack supplier), they had a period where they didn't buy new Begode wheels due to this, maybe the Nik 2700Wh just came in the middle of all that and that made it fall through the cracks? Maybe it's not worth bothering if Alien Rides is selling one with shiny extra lights anyways? I can only guess.

You can email ewheels and ask, they sure have a reputation for quick and good customer support. But I wouldn't worry one bit about Alien Rides either.

Thank you for the rundown. Is there anything you recommend I buy along with my purchase of the Nikola+ or AR+ at either site (EUCO or Alien Rides)? I plan on getting the Roll.NZ bodyguard from ewheels, and helmets and safety gears from different places before I get started.

P.S: Do you trust fast chargers or are they too dangerous?

14 minutes ago, Pooscout said:

Do you trust fast chargers or are they too dangerous?

They're not dangerous, but I'm not convinced mine does proper balancing so I use it to get to 80 or 90% and finish with the stock charger (green LED + 1-2 hours after it turns green).

Rather than buy a bunch of junk before you actually get going (the roll.nz is essential in my book), I'd recommend putting money aside for the next wheel. Yes, sadly, you'll be buying more wheels... can't be helped. It's simply a fact.

Better yet, make sure you're getting safety gear that 1) you will actually wear all the time, and 2) has some chance of actually working when you need it. The gear must fit properly, pay particular attention to your lid. Most everything else can be damaged pretty badly and while it might change your life some you'll still be (mostly) functional, but your brain is a very special part. Protect it!

So, if you must spend cash, think about a burner Android so you can run EUCWorld and not worry about your primary phone's battery or getting it smashed up in a wreck. I got a new Moto G7 Play for $100 delivered and it's been perfect.

And have FUN! It's a crazy pastime, I do hope you have a blast.

Edited by Tawpie

1 minute ago, Tawpie said:

They're not dangerous, but I'm not convinced mine does proper balancing so I use it to get to 80 or 90% and finish with the stock charger (green LED + 1-2 hours after it turns green).

Rather than buy a bunch of junk before you actually get going (the roll.nz is essential in my book), I'd recommend putting money aside for the next wheel. Yes, sadly, you'll be buying more wheels... can't be helped. It's simply a fact.

Better yet, make sure you're getting safety gear that 1) you will actually wear, and 2) has some chance of actually working when you need it. The gear must fit properly, pay particular attention to your lid. Most everything else can be damaged pretty badly and while it might change your life some you'll still be (mostly) functional, but your brain is a different story. Protect it!

But if you must spend cash, think about a burner Android so you can run EUCWorld and not worry about your primary phone's battery or getting it smashed up in a wreck. I got a new Moto G7 Play for $100 delivered and it's been perfect.

And have FUN! It's a crazy pastime, I do hope you have a blast.

I am worry because some of the ewheels fast chargers actually caused fires in the past. Do you really think I would buy another wheel anytime soon? At $2600, the AR+ is close to the price of the high end EXN, Sherman, Commander, Monster Pro, etc. Though it does seem that lots of folks have more than one EUCs, and it is possible that I will try to convert all of my friends to this hobby. I have yet to see anyone with an EUC in real life, and only by chance saw someone mentioned about "EUC" in a Youtube comment after looking at e-scooter. So glad I did not buy an e-scooter. 

Though if I were to upgrade, that EUC has to have 150 or more mile range. I am obsess with range since I sold my vehicle. 

What do you mean by the "lid"?

Thank you for these suggestions---do you know if Alien Rides have any 5% or more discount code like the other retailers (youtuber affiliation code)?

2 hours ago, Pooscout said:

What do you mean by the "lid"?

helmet (more properly: hat, but it's urban slang so whatever)

Do you really think I would buy another wheel anytime soon?

haha. I don't how much self control you have! I meant to have 1 and only 1, and got a pretty good all-rounder in the 16x. I had no good reason to add another wheel and yet...

I discovered I truly love off roading. 16x is actually one of the better off road wheels, but lacking suspension it can be 'rough' so I got a suspension wheel (S18) and am (still) waiting to replace it with an S22 (range, S18 never was suitable for my ride plan). And via a complex story, I got an MTen3 which is the best thing in the world for goofing around the neighborhood... I mostly use it to pick up trash (I live near a very popular beach where folks would prefer not to clutter their cars with litter so they kindly leave it for us to pick up and dispose of). Riding trash duty is way funner than walking.

Edited by Tawpie

Is there anything you recommend I buy along with my purchase of the Nikola+ or AR+ at either site (EUCO or Alien Rides)?

No, you only need the wheel from the dealer.

P.S: Do you trust fast chargers or are they too dangerous?

On EUCs, fast chargers aren't really fast if you look at the charging speeds vs. what the battery cells are rated for. This is even less of a problem with a big battery like on the Nik.

I don't think there is any difference between fast or normal charging. With the one exception, already mentioned, that some fast chargers may shut off too soon and deprive the battery packs of the fine balancing that these would do otherwise. But you have the regular charger for that anyways, just use that occasionally and you're good. (This is an argument for buying the carger from somewhere else than the wheel, so it does not replace the regular charger, and you have both. Or just ask the seller for that specifically.)

Not sure what these fast charger + fire situations were. If anything, that was a fault of the battery pack (some weak part on the BMS). But I can't see a 5A fast charger (about the max rating for the charge port on the Nikola) being a problem tbh.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, alcatraz said:

Long term no pack is safe, except maybe Ninebot Z or Kingsong S22. They will need to be opened up, eventually.

What do you mean by pack? In term of maintenance, is replacing the tire the only thing I have to worry about? Does opening the EUC not void the warrantly?

13 hours ago, Tawpie said:

helmet (more properly: hat, but it's urban slang so whatever)

haha. I don't how much self control you have! I meant to have 1 and only 1, and got a pretty good all-rounder in the 16x. I had no good reason to add another wheel and yet...

I discovered I truly love off roading. 16x is actually one of the better off road wheels, but lacking suspension it can be 'rough' so I got a suspension wheel (S18) and am (still) waiting to replace it with an S22 (range, S18 never was suitable for my ride plan). And via a complex story, I got an MTen3 which is the best thing in the world for goofing around the neighborhood... I mostly use it to pick up trash (I live near a very popular beach where folks would prefer not to clutter their cars with litter so they kindly leave it for us to pick up and dispose of). Riding trash duty is way funner than walking.

I was looking at the 16X but realized that I would upgrade within weeks of purchasing it because of its lower speed. While I wish the AR+ has the 16X off-road capability, I live in the midwest where everything is flat and wouldn't allow me to do crazy off-road trails.

13 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

No, you only need the wheel from the dealer.

On EUCs, fast chargers aren't really fast if you look at the charging speeds vs. what the battery cells are rated for. This is even less of a problem with a big battery like on the Nik.

I don't think there is any difference between fast or normal charging. With the one exception, already mentioned, that some fast chargers may shut off too soon and deprive the battery packs of the fine balancing that these would do otherwise. But you have the regular charger for that anyways, just use that occasionally and you're good. (This is an argument for buying the carger from somewhere else than the wheel, so it does not replace the regular charger, and you have both. Or just ask the seller for that specifically.)

Not sure what these fast charger + fire situations were. If anything, that was a fault of the battery pack (some weak part on the BMS). But I can't see a 5A fast charger (about the max rating for the charge port on the Nikola) being a problem tbh.

Thank you. Waiting for a reply back from Alien Rides and should be purchasing the AR+ soon if the speaker on the AR+ has the same loudness as on the Nikola 1845. 

P.S what are your thoughts on the Inmotion V12?

12 minutes ago, Pooscout said:

P.S what are your thoughts on the Inmotion V12?

It's a damn fine and enticing wheel (after the crazy problems with it seem to be finally fixed). But I'm a range guy, too, and 2700Wh > 1800Wh, nothing can beat that. And the price is almost as high as the 2700Wh Nik/AR+.

17 minutes ago, Pooscout said:

Waiting for a reply back from Alien Rides and should be purchasing the AR+ soon if the speaker on the AR+ has the same loudness as on the Nikola 1845.

Don't think of the wheels as one particular fixed model. Begode (Gotway) make constant changes and just use the latest parts they currently have, for better or worse. So if the Nik 2700Wh has certain speakers, very likely the AR+ has the same speakers if is has been assembled around the same time, as well as the 1800Wh Nik. The 1845Wh Nik is older (older cell type battery packs) and it is unlikely whatever speakers they used on it are still available if they changed the speakers.

But no need to speculate, just ask Alienrides about the speakers and details and you know (if they can say... maybe Begode themselves don't truly know;)).

• 3 weeks later...