Is RS 19 ok for slow speed on sidewalks with pedestrians?

If I need to occasionally ride along the sidewalk at pedestrian walking speeds, is the RS ok for that, or is it too large or too unstable for that? Thanks in advance.

• Upvote 1

Just now, 360rumors said:

If I need to occasionally ride along the sidewalk at pedestrian walking speeds, is the RS ok for that

There's nothing special to the RS19 that makes it suitable or not for slow riding—this is a skill thing. Larger diameter wheels are always more difficult to ride slowly because the larger diameter wheel needs more space to allow you to correct your balance. Teeny wheels like the MTen can make the correction in inches, 18" wheels need many inches.

If you want to ride at walking speeds, you just have to practice staying perfectly balanced when you're barely moving (teeter tottering). Definitely learnable, and absolutely easier on small wheels than larger ones.

• Like 2

Just now, Tawpie said:

There's nothing special to the RS19 that makes it suitable or not for slow riding—this is a skill thing. Larger diameter wheels are always more difficult to ride slowly

Thanks.  I was concerned about the RS 19 because of its size.  I'd like to be able to use it when i'm going from our parking lot to our office and would rather not have to get off the wheel every time there are pedestrians going the other way.  With my Tesla v2, I can just ride very slowly as I pass by other pedestrians, and it doesn't seem to scare them.  It sounds like I might be forced to keep the Tesla v2...

12 minutes ago, 360rumors said:

Thanks.  I was concerned about the RS 19 because of its size.  I'd like to be able to use it when i'm going from our parking lot to our office and would rather not have to get off the wheel every time there are pedestrians going the other way.  With my Tesla v2, I can just ride very slowly as I pass by other pedestrians, and it doesn't seem to scare them.  It sounds like I might be forced to keep the Tesla v2...

Yeah it’s awesome riding on sidewalks It’s a very nimble wheel and easy to carve even at slow speeds aswell .i only ride on hard mode all the time and keep my psi between 32-38 because I’m a heavier rider around 215 pounds 

• Like 1

Whatever wheel I use to go to work with I ride the busy sidewalk and arrival deck of the airport. I've done it with my mten3, RS, EX.N, and Monster Pro. I have no problems with any of them. Just ride at a sensible speed and avoid riding like a douchebag and you'll be fine. Make sure you have stable slow riding ability. If you're worried about startling pedestrians use the avas feature of EucWorld ( if you use it). Not sure if DarknessBot has that feature.

• Like 1

You should not have any issues, the M-Super shell is pretty compact. My MSP is my go to for trunk wheels, if I do not want to deal with extra weight I default to the 16X, but my MSP is my most used EUC out of the pack.

M-Super between a Sherman and Tesla -

image.jpg

MSP and 14D -

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

You should not have any issues, the M-Super shell is pretty compact. My MSP is my go to for trunk wheels, if I do not want to deal with extra weight I default to the 16X, but my MSP is my most used EUC out of the pack.

M-Super between a Sherman and Tesla -

image.jpg

MSP and 14D -

image.jpg

The msp looks pretty much the same as the rs .i really wish there were more riders around my area I’ve never seen anyone else riding one cuz I want to try other wheels without having to buy more right now 🤣🤣

778A710F-FB0F-4DB6-BA0C-624DC5425C97.jpeg

• Like 1

A few years ago the Msuper / RS was the heavy wheel. Nowadays it isn't. It's just a few kg heavier than a Tesla.

It can do everything basically, except really extreme offroading.

So I'd say if I had to keep a single wheel it would be an Msuper. 

The reason I keep my Tesla is because occasionally I need to ride on buses/subway most of the day and just bring the wheel as a secondary mode of transport. Then trolleying around an Msuper/RS a long time gets really tiresome.

• Like 1

If I could buy an RS without speakers and a heavy C38 motor, I would. I want the most lightweight RS-HS. 

I'm still on a 23.5kg MSX. It does what i need because I'm lightweight. Climbs like a dream, goes fast enough for me to shit my pants. :D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2022 at 2:42 PM, 360rumors said:

If I need to occasionally ride along the sidewalk at pedestrian walking speeds, is the RS ok for that, or is it too large or too unstable for that? Thanks in advance.

if dogs, NO....if kids....no....but yes it is stable and nimble enough to even keep you riding slow speed on side walk

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CyberV0LT said:

if dogs, NO....if kids....no....but yes it is stable and nimble enough to even keep you riding slow speed on side walk

🤣🤣 I just went yard saleing in Seville ohio they have a whole town yard sale .i  rode my rs19 hs  all around sidewalks with kids, dogs ,food vendors, cars ,bikes  a complete madhouse and even at slow speed the rs is just a kickass wheel .i met some dude that rides giant circus unicycles and he asked to try my wheel out .normally I would t let anyone just hop on my 2200$ wheel but I figured he has ridiculous balance …but He tried and tried but just couldn’t get the hang of it .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dosingpsychedelics said:

🤣🤣 I just went yard saleing in Seville ohio they have a whole town yard sale .i  rode my rs19 hs  all around sidewalks with kids, dogs ,food vendors, cars ,bikes  a complete madhouse and even at slow speed the rs is just a kickass wheel .i met some dude that rides giant circus unicycles and he asked to try my wheel out .normally I would t let anyone just hop on my 2200$ wheel but I figured he has ridiculous balance …but He tried and tried but just couldn’t get the hang of it .

that's reassuring!  Will be looking at the RS in the future!

wow the circus unicycle guy couldn't get the hang of it...?  I was talking to EUCO staff at the Electrify Expo and they said normally unicyclists learn EUCs almost immediately.  Maybe the circus guy didn't understand how to propel yourself to get balanced.

1 hour ago, 360rumors said:

that's reassuring!  Will be looking at the RS in the future!

wow the circus unicycle guy couldn't get the hang of it...?  I was talking to EUCO staff at the Electrify Expo and they said normally unicyclists learn EUCs almost immediately.  Maybe the circus guy didn't understand how to propel yourself to get balanced.

Yeah I think if he would have had an open parking lot he would have caught on quick .but he was trying in his bumpy yard and sidewalk 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

my first foray into euc's was 2017 and just for my 2500' road to my mailbox.

now i'm without a driver's license because i didn't renew it. but after my dentist appt i realized i'll need some kind of off ranch transportation. 

so walking to the dentist i'm examining the sidewalk, miami curbs, etc anticipating my future rides on it, and then here comes this little woman pushing a baby stroller so wide i had to step off the sidewalk practically. she was nice when i spoke to her and broke her bitch face, but omg, i could imagine what look or comment i would have gotten on my mten4 on order, or worse, the s22 that's coming. 

probably call the cops.

florida laws look pretty good. i'm wanting the developers that buy my land to develop it with pev's in mind. adjacent tampa premium outlets so it will really capitalize on pev's capabilities if these developers will think a bit. developers are usually about 50 years behind everybody else.

https://electric.travel/guide/pev-and-electric-bicycle-laws-in-united-states/