Low profile tws earbuds to wear under helmet

Ivank

Hi dear forum members )

I'm looking for the low profile (something which is not stand out of my ear) tws earbuds. 

I've found Sony LinkBuds. And based on design it should fit my request. 

But maybe someone has a real experience with something to try with the helmet

thanks

Ivan

Have you considered a BT helmet communication set, like Sena or Cardo?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Seba said:

Have you considered a BT helmet communication set, like Sena or Cardo?

Second this. Once you get proper moto comms you don't go back. I consider them the most-important safety equipment after helmet & pads.

• Like 1

The Sena I have in my moto helmet's audio for music is terrible at best, worse in reality. I've never used the intercom function.

I do use a cheapo Humbird transducer for tunes on occasion and it's actually better than the helmet speakers, but still not much more than barely passable for music. Ok for baseball games though!

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

The Sena I have in my moto helmet's audio for music is terrible at best, worse in reality. I've never used the intercom function.

I do use a cheapo Humbird transducer for tunes on occasion and it's actually better than the helmet speakers, but still not much more than barely passable for music. Ok for baseball games though!

The Cardo Freecom (I think the 4+) I have uses speakers provided by/in partnership with JBL which are excellent for music, but also for comms (whether direct or just routing phone calls via Bluetooth) or turn-by-turn directions, etc. They made a big deal about the JBL partnership because apparently yours was a common problem with comms units in the past.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tawpie said:

I had the same problem with music quality on my Sena 10S, but replacing transducers helped a lot. Search Google for "sena hd speakers".

• Like 2

I have a cardo freecom 4+ and while its practicality and sound quality is amazing, I wouldn't suggest it as a reliable alarm system. It has a latency of around 1 second which is not acceptable imo.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that it is equipped with Bluetooth 4.1?

4x comes with Bluetooth 5.2, so maybe it's better in that regard?

The communication systems discussed here are relatively expensive. My quest is to find an average quality speaker at 50$ (at least better sound than my 200$ Mi A3 phone) that could be positioned better than my phone (and obviously better than the EUC speakers): I want to listen to music sometimes but don't want innocent bystanders to listen in. So far I am considering a clip-on speaker (JBL Clip 4 or similar) to attach somewhere on my chest. 

Yet I wonder if there is a category of simple helmet-attached speakers with just speaker functionality in the 50$ price category? Or do people just use low profile ear buds? I don't like ear buds: my ears grow tired and on my EUC I want no noise cancellation whatsoever. At home or work I use over-the-ear headphones so I wouldn't even have any use for earbuds should I buy them.

Edited by yoos
typo
  • Like 1

The Humbird was a total experiment for me. It attempts to turn whatever it's stuck to (I use that removable clear 'nano tape') into a speaker—your helmet's shell becomes the resonant cavity. It's sometimes referred to as a bone conduction speaker, but you don't stick it on yourself. The trick is finding where to stick the Humbird so that it sounds ok... I've landed on the very back of the Bell Super DH.

When it's turned up, other people can still hear it, but it's not nearly like a JBL clip.

I'm actually surprised how well it works, but like I said: it's only passable if you can find "the" spot where your helmet resonates well. $29.

• Like 1

So basically 2 options leading my short list from the conversation...

Cardo Freecom 4x ~200$

Sony LinkBuds ~180$

I have only fox proframe helmet. Not sure if Cardo will fit... 

I wear Beats Flex which have a cable so I can control them manually without fussing with a phone. The Flex are not low-profile, but I have no issues with any of my 10 helmets, except the Steelbird Air, which has ear cavities that do not line up for me and are not designed for my American-of-European-descent skull. All my other helmets can accommodate the buds: the trick is to pull on the chinstraps firmly to spread the helmet wide enough to get past them. It takes practice not to knock them out of position, but all the western helmets have ear speaker cavities that leave plenty of space for the protruding buds.

The Flex have been out a few years and can still be found occasionally on sale for $39.99USD, which is the price I paid. They sound great and can be used for calls if you push the mic close to your mouth inside the helmet.

Edited by litewave
  • Like 1