Inmotion V11 firmware 1.4.13

dwagelaar

Hi all,

Today the Inmotion app pushed the 1.4.13 firmware for my V11 (Main board: 1.4.13, Driver board: 4.2.21, no BLE firmware). This time, the app was very adamant about me installing the firmware: the app actually locked the wheel on connection (flashing battery indicator, motor disabled) until I would accept the new firmware.

As I've learnt my lesson on installing V11 firmware with an iPhone - V5F, V8 are fine with iPhone, rock stable, probably older bluetooth hardware, but V11 not so much - I did not accept the new firmware on my iPhone. I used my iPad instead, which worked fine, last last time. After firmware upgrade, my wheel was unlocked again (*phew*).

Release notes:

1. Optimized motor drive parameters and higher stability of high-speed riding.
  2. Body-sensation separation mode added to allow independent adjustment of sensation while accelerating and braking.
  3. Known bugs fixed.

Perhaps point 1 and/or 3 prompted Inmotion to disable the wheel until the update was installed...?

In any case, this firmware adds the split mode pedal sensitivity adjustment (2), which should help with braking - something I felt was weak in this wheel. After trying it out (50% forward - 30% reverse), I noticed mostly faster acceleration, but not much difference in braking. I will just continue my practice of bleeding off speed when approaching an area where I may have to make a full stop ("pre-braking").

Also, Inmotion added dynamic remaining range estimation - like Darknessbot has supported for a while now. It requires you to ride for 3 km for it to calibrate, and then it gives you a sensible reading. While it's still a bit optimistic, it's much more accurate than the default range estimation.

Aside from that, I noticed that the Darknessbot app no longer gets correct readings of the various metrics, such as speed and battery level: the battery level now appears to vary with speed, turning it into a wonky speedometer. Darknessbot is therefore no longer usable with firmware 1.4.13. That's a shame really, as I used my iPhone as an arm-mounted dashboard while riding (I use one of those arm-mounted phone sleeves for running), and Darknessbot would disable screen locking and rotation when enabled. The Inmotion app has no rotation lock, and more importantly, it allows the screen to go dark and become locked: this is a no-no for a dashboard app. Hopefully, Darknessbot will get updated to support this firmware. And hopefully, the Inmotion app will get updated to support screen lock disable and screen rotation lock. Two great apps are better than one :-).

And while I'm requesting Inmotion app fixes: I think the Darknessbot offline mode is great for reviewing ride metrics afterwards: no need to connect the wheel, and metrics are remembered after switching off the wheel. It would be great if the Inmotion app could also make recent ride metrics available without having to connect the wheel.

What are your experiences with this firmware?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Nice review! I am also very pleased with the new update. I really like the fact that the V11 gets updates - bug fixes, security fixes and also new features.

I have had a bad experience updating the V11 software with my iPhone, so I used an android device only to update the V11 firmware. While riding, I used the iPhone to record my trips and all the data. Unfortunately, this update is not compatible with Darknessbot app, so I can no longer use the iPhone on trips. I made such a change that I now use android device while riding around (EUC World + Inmotion app) and the iPhone is in my pocket. My smartphone is on my wrist all the time, so I keep getting important information (speed, remaining distance, battery, map etc.).

• Like 2

Wow, 1.4.15 already got pushed today! Same deal with the app disabling the wheel until I install the firmware, though: I had to install it in order to ride home from work O_O. Luckily no issues, but this is not OK: either let me hold off on firmware updates, or fix the firmware update stability issues with iPhones. Let me elaborate a little on what happens, because not even car manufacturers are this overbearing with their firmware updates:

1. App starts - connects to V11
  2. App reports new firmware - confirm or reject?
  3. I reject - I want to ride home first, grab my iPad
  4. I look at my wheel, notice that V11 battery indicator is flashing, motor disabled
  5. I shut down app, restart V11
  6. V11 is still disabled, even after disconnecting app
  7. Reopen app, diagnosis: "wheel disabled until new firmware is installed"

So I cannot ride home first, and must install the firmware from wherever I happen to be... on my iPhone, because that's what I have, and use as my speedometer. I left a review on the Apple App Store with this feedback as well, hopefully Inmotion will do something with it.

In comparison, my car's manufacturer has sent me a letter in the past on finding out that a bug in the engine management software could cause a fire on rare occasions, and if I could please come in at the garage for a software update at my earliest convenience. That, I appreciate, because:

1. I am made aware of the actual danger I would be in when continuing to use the car
  2. I can decide when to have the car fixed, and not be stranded without transportation

Back to the 1.4.15 firmware: it's good, it includes battery safety monitoring features that will be usable in the next (unreleased - at least for iOS) version of the Inmotion app: 7.10.5 (latest on the App Store is 7.10.4). The app will get three alert levels when the two batteries in the V11 deviate in voltage, or when one of the batteries isn't working. The best feature is that the battery indicator on the V11 will now flash when one of the batteries is not working: that's good information!

CyberV0LT on Youtube has also commented on this firmware, and left a screenshot of the release notes: https://www.youtube.com/post/UgkxNQFIYPPDFDAYK0XEGg2W7VHoofB_f4um

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 11:28 PM, dwagelaar said:

Wow, 1.4.15 already got pushed today! Same deal with the app disabling the wheel until I install the firmware, though: I had to install it in order to ride home from work O_O. Luckily no issues, but this is not OK: either let me hold off on firmware updates, or fix the firmware update stability issues with iPhones. Let me elaborate a little on what happens, because not even car manufacturers are this overbearing with their firmware updates:

1. App starts - connects to V11
  2. App reports new firmware - confirm or reject?
  3. I reject - I want to ride home first, grab my iPad
  4. I look at my wheel, notice that V11 battery indicator is flashing, motor disabled
  5. I shut down app, restart V11
  6. V11 is still disabled, even after disconnecting app
  7. Reopen app, diagnosis: "wheel disabled until new firmware is installed"

So I cannot ride home first, and must install the firmware from wherever I happen to be... on my iPhone, because that's what I have, and use as my speedometer. I left a review on the Apple App Store with this feedback as well, hopefully Inmotion will do something with it.

In comparison, my car's manufacturer has sent me a letter in the past on finding out that a bug in the engine management software could cause a fire on rare occasions, and if I could please come in at the garage for a software update at my earliest convenience. That, I appreciate, because:

1. I am made aware of the actual danger I would be in when continuing to use the car
  2. I can decide when to have the car fixed, and not be stranded without transportation

Back to the 1.4.15 firmware: it's good, it includes battery safety monitoring features that will be usable in the next (unreleased - at least for iOS) version of the Inmotion app: 7.10.5 (latest on the App Store is 7.10.4). The app will get three alert levels when the two batteries in the V11 deviate in voltage, or when one of the batteries isn't working. The best feature is that the battery indicator on the V11 will now flash when one of the batteries is not working: that's good information!

CyberV0LT on Youtube has also commented on this firmware, and left a screenshot of the release notes: https://www.youtube.com/post/UgkxNQFIYPPDFDAYK0XEGg2W7VHoofB_f4um

I, too, was forced to update before I could ride, and I don't think that's okay. You should be notified that an update is available and install it when you have time. Not this way that there is an update, and we will not let you ride until the update is installed. That's not how things should be done.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mhpr262 said:

Inmotion must have considered the update critical, considering the bad press caused by the recent fire.

Yes I also think it is critical (fire related) therefore Inmotion is trying their best to get as many riders to flash as possible.
Signal boost here: 

20 hours ago, Buddywoof said:

Guys, after this update, I cannot turn off "Low Battery Safe Mode".  Is this normal?

Could you please provide us a video of this problem, so that we can look more into it?

Hi,

My BLE board version is:  V1.4.15

Here is a video.  After turning the "Low Battery Safe Mode" off, I exit the app then go back in and the setting is "on" by itself.

Edited by Buddywoof
  • Upvote 1

On 6/13/2022 at 5:39 PM, Buddywoof said:

Here is a video.  After turning the "Low Battery Safe Mode" off, I exit the app then go back in and the setting is "on" by itself.

Thank you for the video. There are two possible reasons for this: 1. the euc does not accept this setting, or 2. the app on your smartphone does not do things the way it should.

Let's try to solve the possible reason No. 1. Before making any changes to the settings, try to place the unicycle on its kickstand or on its side (try both options). Make changes to the settings, and then press the kill switch to apply new settings. If that doesn't work, turn the unicycle off and then on again and check that the settings are applied.

Now, let's try to solve the possible reason No. 2. Do you have the latest version of Android and the latest version of Inmotion app on your phone? It's good to do this kind of procedure on euc with the latest software versions. Remove Inmotion app from your phone, restart your phone, and reinstall Inmotion app. If that doesn't work, install an app called EUC World on your phone and try changing the settings there. At EUC World, it's called “Riding under low battery”.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wolverine said:

Thank you for the video. There are two possible reasons for this: 1. the euc does not accept this setting, or 2. the app on your smartphone does not do things the way it should.

Let's try to solve the possible reason No. 1. Before making any changes to the settings, try to place the unicycle on its kickstand or on its side (try both options). Make changes to the settings, and then press the kill switch to apply new settings. If that doesn't work, turn the unicycle off and then on again and check that the settings are applied.

Now, let's try to solve the possible reason No. 2. Do you have the latest version of Android and the latest version of Inmotion app on your phone? It's good to do this kind of procedure on euc with the latest software versions. Remove Inmotion app from your phone, restart your phone, and reinstall Inmotion app. If that doesn't work, install an app called EUC World on your phone and try changing the settings there. At EUC World, it's called “Riding under low battery”.

Thanks.  So you are saying you don't have this issue on your V11?

Just now, Buddywoof said:

I checked yesterday, I do not have this issue with my V11.  The setting persists.

12 minutes ago, Paradox said:

I checked yesterday, I do not have this issue with my V11.  The setting persists.

Are you using EUC World or Inmotion App?  I just checked EUC World.  It seems to stick in EUC world but if you go back to Inmotion App, it still showed "Low Battery Safe Mode" = On.  Strange.

Just now, Buddywoof said:

Are you using EUC World or Inmotion App?

I use both but yesterday I noticed in the InMotion app the setting was unchanged.  I did not try changing it back and forth though.  It was the same as it was before the firmware update.

19 minutes ago, Buddywoof said:

So you are saying you don't have this issue on your V11?

I will try changing it and then see if it gets changed back by itself.  Give me a few minutes.

5 minutes ago, Buddywoof said:

Are you using EUC World or Inmotion App?

You are correct.  I tried changing it and closed the InMotion app.  I restarted the wheel and connected to the app and the setting was enabled again.  Maybe you can only disable this setting when your battery is actually low?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paradox said:

You are correct.  I tried changing it and closed the InMotion app.  I restarted the wheel and connected to the app and the setting was enabled again.  Maybe you can only disable this setting when your battery is actually low?

Thanks.  Good to know I'm not the only one having this issue.  I think it is a bug given the setting seemingly "sticks" with EUC World but not Inmotion App.

10 hours ago, Buddywoof said:

I went through the same settings myself and I have to admit that the Inmotion app has a bug. The Inmotion app will not accept this setting, but EUC World does. Now, I have even more reasons to use the EUC World app instead of Inmotion´s app.

10 hours ago, Wolverine said:

I went through the same settings myself and I have to admit that the Inmotion app has a bug. The Inmotion app will not accept this setting, but EUC World does. Now, I have even more reasons to use the EUC World app instead of Inmotion´s app.

One thing I wonder though is if the status in EUC World is actually accurate.  I mean, whether it is really "on" when EUC world says it's on......

• 1 year later...

I just picked up a fairly new V11.  FW is 1.4.22.  It thinks its overcharged when it reaches 100% and the app reads higher than my trusted VOM.  I've heard mention of reprogramming the voltage sensor on the controller.  Anyone know how to do that?  FWIW, here's a ride-video (with custom seat, pads, and side-kickstand).