Noise cancelling helmet speakers with great sound?

Poker

Hi, I'm looking for some. 

Really hard to find info about this, wind noise is what bothers me the most but I also want to be able to blast some music with as good audio quality as you can get out of helmet speakers. 

What are my options? Has anyone else looked into this recently?

Does the active noise cancelling help with wind noise? I know its a problem with most noise cancelling headsets where the mic is exposed to wind

I'm assuming most eucs are not Bluetooth 5 so I would not be able to use euc world. 

I know some places its Illegal to use but I'm already a criminal 

Using noise cancelling headphones to listen music while riding an EUC doesn't sound a safe idea for me. What kind of helmet you are using? My closed motorcycle helmet has very little wind noise.

• Like 1

Makes it hard to hear that dog barking as he is chasing you.

8 minutes ago, Paradox said:

Makes it hard to hear that dog barking as he is chasing you.

Also hard to hear those crazy karens yelling. :D

As saying goes: ignorance is bliss - a person who does not know about a problem does not worry about it.

If small mutt would chase my, i would turn around and start chasing him. 99% of time they are all bark, would be fun. :D And if he starts biting - well there goes a "flying" mutt.. If you know what i mean. :efef77eaf5::efef8189d7:

• Like 1

i have use a clip 2 too low over 25mph

the clip 3 get the job done crisp and loud enough event at 40mph

the Bose micro is really the next level love mine fix on backpack shoulder strap make me forget about cars or other noises that can make me nervous😉.

flying with the fav tunes and kept peoples aware thet i am coming too!

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 11:10 AM, OttawaEUC said:

i have use a clip 2 too low over 25mph

the clip 3 get the job done crisp and loud enough event at 40mph

the Bose micro is really the next level love mine fix on backpack shoulder strap make me forget about cars or other noises that can make me nervous😉.

flying with the fav tunes and kept peoples aware thet i am coming too!

Agree with the Clip 3, I just got mine on Amazon for like $30. When clipped to the side of my wheel it sounds similarly loud to my Nikola AR+ speakers (I have a carabineer there for my tether), and when clipped to my backpack strap it's loud enough to hear clearly even in traffic going 40mph. A clip 4 is supposed to be even louder but I'm happy with my clip 3. My beeps are also insanely loud so there's a lot less fear of not hearing beeps when I have it on.

OP I don't recommend getting noise cancelling headphones/earbuds, in helmet speakers are fine but getting noise cancelling is asking for trouble. What speeds are you riding at that wind noise is a major issue? Even at 40mph with my Bell Servo BMX helmet (I know I know I need to get a motorcycle helmet already for these speeds) the wind noise isn't unbearable. Sure it makes hearing my music/beeps with built in EUC speakers difficult, but getting a good BT speaker to clip to yourself should be fine

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 5:24 AM, Poker said:

with as good audio quality as you can get out of helmet speakers

And there's the rub! Helmet speakers are teeny tiny, thin and light. You can tell which song is playing and sing along—even if you can't carry a tune in a bucket you'll sound better than helmet speakers.

They're fine for talking to people as an intercom, but asking them to do music is asking more than they can deliver.

The external BT speaker up close to your head is your best bet. I have a super cheap humbird "transducer" stuck to my Super DH for listening to baseball games—if I get it in exactly the right spot the helmet resonance makes the lower notes almost audible but in general, the only reason to have it is because there's no room in the helmet for anything near your ears. And unlike my Clip4, others don't have to listen along with me.

Edited by Tawpie

So for music I would get better sound quality from earbuds rather than slim helmet speakers? 

External speakers isn't for me, not shitting on any of you but for me its noise pollution. Don't wanna bother anyone etc. 

Wind noise is more a problem when I pass 35km/h. Its np if I'm riding on dirt roads/trails. 

I could just be preparing for the worst, chances are the wind won't be loud enough to distort the music. 

17-18 years ago I used a koss "The Plug" inside my helmet while driving my LOUD moped, it worked nice but I doubt it was good for my hearing. 

13 minutes ago, Poker said:

So for music I would get better sound quality from earbuds rather than slim helmet speakers? 

I would certainly think so, but the bar is low. I tried using my buds for a while, they kept wanting to fall out because I couldn't poke them in properly after squishing my head into the helmet so they didn't work out. Don't forget about situational awareness, cars etc. can be heard and (in my opinion) it's better to hear them than not. Transparency mode on the AirPod Pros works quite nicely.

You might consider a bone conduction system—leaves your ears available and music comes via magic. That's kind of how the humbird works, there are commercial offerings with arguably 'better' sound, but they are considerably more expensive. The humbird was about 35USD (it's not very good, I mentioned that, right? But it's better than the Sena speakers in my moto helmet)

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

I use these - Open Run Pros  

They're a bit tight under a helmet but they allow me to still hear my surroundings. They sound pretty good but not on the same level as premium ear buds.

Edited by UniBlab

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/7/2022 at 8:48 PM, Tawpie said:

And there's the rub! Helmet speakers are teeny tiny, thin and light. You can tell which song is playing and sing along—even if you can't carry a tune in a bucket you'll sound better than helmet speakers.

Incorrect.

As a motorcyclist I have been through loads of different intercoms and earphones. Intercomes provide a much superior experience when they are setup right. Just don't buy an intercom with a terrible amp and bad speakers.

Get a cardo with JBL and the audio will be perfectly fine for all tracks you listen to. Earphones don't compete unless you spend 10 minutes every time you put your helmet on to make sure they are properly seated.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PourUC said:

Get a cardo with JBL and the audio will be perfectly fine for all tracks you listen to.

Probably true. I'm pretty sure I'm too picky, and too cheap. Once the wind noise gets going, there's not a whole lot to be heard anyway!

On 6/9/2022 at 7:54 AM, Paul A said:

Noise cancelling, music/sound volume.

Would this cancel the sounds of traffic, cars, horns, etc?

If you wear noise-cancelling earbuds on both ears, you will not be able to hear car noises at all, even a semi truck/lorry. It is a very bad idea.

• Thanks 1