KS18A Waterproofing

NeprisFin

Hi,

I have just gotten my KS18A. I have learned how to drive it and now I would like to start using it for my main transportation device to work. It is February and I live in Finland so the streets are filled with melting snow. Basically I would be driving on a 14km long puddle to work.

How waterproof is King Song 18" A 800w 680wh?

Can I trust that it wont short circuit or something when i use it in these conditions? How can I better my devices waterproofing (please share your tips)?

Thank you community for all your help!

Please please dont assume anything. And dont ride through puddles and melted snow without opening it up and adding waterproofing, you should make sure there is no gaps throughh which water can get inside to the control board and battery compartments. You can use silicon or similar material to seal any such gaps.  Please avoid the melted snow until you do that.

5 minutes ago, NeprisFin said:

Thank you @Cloud I will choose wisdom over excitment and postpone my work trips with one day. I'll open the device on tomorrow and do my best to make it waterproof.

One , quite risky way to do it, which i dont recommend but it can make things more obvious, is if you ride just a little, thn open it up and see if there is any water/ dirt inside where it doesnt belong, this can tip you off about pissible water routes.

Never believe those IP65 rating or something alike. I have opened the covers of several EUCs(including KS18) and none of them even come to close. If you have to ride in the rain, better to prepare a plastic bag or disposable bag with you to cover the EUC in the case. Otherwise the water will invade and corrode PCB and joints gradually. If u suspect that the EUC may have been soaked, open the cover and let it dry.

• 1 month later...

I have/had plans to get KS18, i live also in Finland, so i have same weather / road conditions what @NeprisFin has.

I contacted KingSong Tina, she says that riding in rain or snow is not suggested, but in same time, not forbidden.

I was waiting for answer "sure, you can ride snow and rain!", but now a bit confused, that nearly rules KS out from me :(
Yes, i can spray plastidip or something else on mainboard, etc etc, but how is my warranty after that?

If the manufacturer states IP65 you can use it in wet conditions. If the manufacturer states (with IP65) not to use it in wet condition he lies in his documentation.

You can try to evaluate an other IP65 EU but you would not find one. I know people riding their Gotways in snow and rain but as not having an inside view inside the case I can not state if they're water proof.

Not necessary to remove cushions on KS18. Only need to lift around the edge of the cushion where the screws are located.

As far as waterproofing goes, there are two areas which possibly need some attention to guarantee the unit remains watertight.

1.Above the tire in the wheel arch. A thin smear of silicon along the joint between the two halves of the case will make sure no water enters from splashing.

2.Top plate covering the main board. (under the handle) I smear a little Vaseline on the front and rear edge when fitting the cover, just to make sure no water can enter the housing. Probably not essential, but if the uni is left standing in the rain I think possible for a small amount of water to enter. Therefore this could be considered precaution rather than necessity. 

On 21.3.2016 at 10:56 PM, MetricUSA said:

I have seen videos of unit being open, better get double sided tape, cause you have to rip off cushions to get at screws and half panels underneath, not good planning/layout, disappointing...

Same in ninebot one e+.
Had no issue in that case.

As a retired Electronics Design/Hardware-Software Integration Engineer, I can tell you that, in equipment that COULD be exposed to high humidity condensation OR rain, we sprayed all circuit boards with multiple coats of  'Krylon Clear'  from spray paint cans (sliding connector contacts were covered with Teflon tape) after cleaning the boards with 91% alcohol of any variety, and allowing each coat to completely dry (24 hrs. in our case) before the next coat. We never had a failed board due to moisture, condensation or rain!  I plan to do this on my future KS18 regardless of what "water-proofing" techniques KS does.

I should have also mentioned that, component repair/replacement that was necessary due to other factors was accomplished using a separate/different soldering iron to 'burn away' the encapsulating "Krylon Clear' and allowing standard component removal/replacement, followed by board/system test, THEN re-encapsulation with 'Krylon Clear' after re-cleaning using 91% alcohol of any variety.  Works good - lasts a looooong time.

Archived