Is an EX w/ 1200miles a smart buy??

wstuart

I'm impatient and want to get something for longer group rides.  I have an S20 (s22) on pre order, but I'm concerned that the s22 will struggle to do 50 miles with my weight. I have an opportunity to buy a used EX.  This would hold me over until the s20s finally get shipped, and I'm thinking the EX might be better than the s20 for 40-50 mile rides.

I'm only going to use this for 40 - 50 mile group rides.  I weigh 220lbs.  You think this will be able to do rides that long if I keep it under 25mph?

I'm worried about parts availability as these weren't common.  The suspension design seems strange - I hope it doesn't break down.  Anyone have issues with this

I also worry about the battery, but I heard there is less risk and strain on the battery with 2700wh.  You think it'll be allright?

I really like that this has a beefy motor.  Reviewers said it was hard for lighter riders to get the motor going, but again I'm 6'8" 240, so I think I'll be able to handle the weight. 

Edited by wstuart
  • Upvote 1

It would be helpful if you included how much you're paying for the wheel as part of the determining factor. Me personally, I can get ~50-60 miles going over 30mph on the wheel, but that comes with the caveat that I am much lighter than you (150-155 pounds geared, 6ft tall). I do think the EX is the least appreciated wheel of 2021, and if you're getting a reasonable deal on a well kept wheel (maybe around $2400?) I would certainly go for it, but I am biased as an owner. 

In my experience, the suspension components are actually reasonably strong and won't actually ever take any impacts unless you wreck on an uneven surface (think smacking them against a curb or wiping out on trails). They can, however, loosen up and start to get sloppy as there is only one small setscrew that is used to pin the bars to stop them from rotating. Ray Rokni has a lot of vids on YT addressing most issues that can pop up with the EX's suspension components.

The last thing I'll say is that the stock tire is pretty crap because a lot of them came with molding problems. Check that the tire isn't malformed if it's still on the original.

• Like 1

Tall heavy rider here. tested both, ex 😂 owner of EX, the suspension feeling was better on this wheel than on the s20 where it felt too stiff. All the parts are available on ali express. You can still buy monster v3 and even msx, im not worried about you finding parts for the EX. U can get around 60miles with your weight. Torque is huge. Solid wheel, way underrated. 

Edited by Ronin Ryder
  • Like 2

I highly recommend the EX, I love mine. I also weigh 220ish and easily do 50 miles. You never have to worry about overpowering the 3500w motor and the top speed of 40ish w full battery is fast for me. I bought it last May and suspension has been great. This is a solid wheel all around and great on roads but I don’t love it off road mainly due to road tire and it’s 85lb weight, I use my RST for off-road rides. Depending on the price, I’d say grab it.

• Like 1

So I got it.  I've only done 7 miles so far but man am I impressed.  I'm still a new rider, so I still kind of fight speed wobbles.  This wheel so stable - I can't get it to wobble no matter how hard I slam on the breaks.  I'm guessing this is because of the massive heavy motor. 

It's not quite as plush as my V11, but with the added weight and power - this feels way more stable than my v11.  

This is so so much more powerful than the v11, that I really feel like I cant compare them. 

I agree that this was underrated. This is an awesome wheel. 

• Like 3

If anyone is interested:

I tried using my V11 Black Crow stand with my new EX.  It fit PERFECTLY.  I really the guy selling them on EBAY should list it as a V11/EX stand

I did a few hours of offroad testing today back to back to back with my MSP HT.

Wow these wheels are different.  I thought the EX was absolutely brilliant offroad, but in a completely different way from the MSP.

The brilliance of the EX came from the momentum and inertia of its 40lb motor/wheel.  Nothing could slow that thing down - it would absolutely bulldoze over imperfections.  The suspension wasn't nearly as plush as the V11s (or S20 I would imagine)  but the combination of the suspension and the inertia of the wheel made it so it just wouldn't slow down. The bad was that it wasn't as nimble and I really had to think ahead to plan my line because it doesn't change direction as fast as my MSP.  Also it wasn't quite as quick off the line as the MSP, but in most cases it didn't matter because the thing just never had to slow down to begin with.  

In contrast the the MSP HT was crazy nimble and had insane acceleration. This allowed me to put it wherever I want and I think was actually more fun to ride than the EX, but it was also more difficult to ride than the EX.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked one up last month as well.  I'm loving it!  Make sure to register on the Begode app and try to do a firmware upgrade.  It will work if you have the black board and give you more top end speed.  

PXL_20220427_214102181~5.jpg

• Like 1

Looks sick! Plan to buy one too....how is that tire (is is a c6004? Kenda K340?) comparing to the cst-c186 Knobby? Im looking for Offroad and rim Protection....

@onkeldanuel  Thanks!  I have the K340.  It buzzes like a swarm of bees and has awesome traction on the streets and off-road.  I like the c186 but only after it's been worn down about 1/3 of the way.  Keep your tire pumped up to 35lbs and keep that shock pumped up and you won't bend your rim.

Edited by c5flybyu

9 minutes ago, c5flybyu said:

@onkeldanuel  Thanks!  I have the K340.  It buzzes like a swarm of bees and has awesome traction on the streets and off-road.  I like the c186 but only after it's been worn down about 1/3 of the way.  Keep your tire pumped up to 35lbs and keep that shock pumped up and you won't bend your rim

Thx....and is this the Stock tire on the ex? Or was it Changed from another? How much Psi should be in the shocks? 

OK, can someone give me a tough range for the shock Psi for my 90kg /190 lbs? 

Had a V11 and there it was 120psi......

Read somewhere about 1200 ! psi ???

43 minutes ago, onkeldanuel said:

OK, can someone give me a tough range for the shock Psi for my 90kg /190 lbs? 

Had a V11 and there it was 120psi......

Read somewhere about 1200 ! psi ???

forget about psi, you should pump around 11 times, should be around 8 on the gauge for you weight ;)

On 5/5/2022 at 9:50 PM, c5flybyu said:

I just picked one up last month as well.  I'm loving it!  Make sure to register on the Begode app and try to do a firmware upgrade.  It will work if you have the black board and give you more top end speed.  

PXL_20220427_214102181~5.jpg

Can you tell which Kind of Cushion on top of the Seat is this (Link/Dimensions?) Looks perfect size

Guys, need some Help...my EX showed Up today ...without a Pump for the Suspension...where can i get a Pump for it? Do i need Special Connectors too? 

14 minutes ago, onkeldanuel said:

Guys, need some Help...my EX showed Up today ...without a Pump for the Suspension...where can i get a Pump for it? Do i need Special Connectors too? 

weird, you should ask for it, comes stock with the wheel, anyway is something like that: https://www.amazon.it/Pressure-Stainless-Material-Footballs-Inflatable/dp/B09Y5Z1B6C/ref=sr_1_9?__mk_it_IT=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=1XSG1U2REIK3N&keywords=high+pressure+pump&qid=1652705019&sprefix=high+pressure+pump%2Caps%2C82&sr=8-9

• Like 1

OK thx. I have asked for it and think will get it but takes additional time maybe.....i dont have the Begode connectors for the Pump tho.....so i assume No Pump works without this Special connectors, right??

I get it from the seller now hopefully fastest ....thats pretty sick they missed to send IT with the wheel ..

I mean you get the wheel delivered and its Impossible to Ride IT because of this Shi......

On 5/16/2022 at 5:23 PM, EMA said:

you need the tiny piece to connect the pump to the shock, no one has it around you ?

So im really sad right now....the seller doesnt have the Valveconnector!! I can source the Pump from Amazon but its Impossible to get this bloody Connector in Europe ..

So If anybody Here in EU have one of These please contact me , i would really apreciate and pay Express shipment and some Fee for you