Why are wheels so crazy heavy nowadays?

meepmeepmayer

On 3/30/2022 at 5:31 AM, Slashebeest said:

Weight is the reason why I sold my veteran sherman and returned to my 16x.

Yes it was more stable, but all the fun/nimbleness I had with my 16x was gone, and I was constantly riding +40km/h.

And I also didn't need the extra range the veteran had.

I was looking into buying a V12 since it's a bit in the same category as my 16x but with the mosfet problems...

A 25kg wheel with a bit more range and headroom regarding top speed than my 16x would be my perfect wheel.

Have you considered the MSX V2 or V3? 23.5Kg and it's got good performance with regards to range, speed and acceleration.

Fire hazard is definitely a problem with Gotway wheels but if you're not pushing the limits of the wheel nor hitting them hard all the time doing jumps and falling and all that it's a wheel that is just as safe as the other ones. Speaking from experiencie and from hearing other happy Gotway/Begode owners.

Inb4: I'm not affiliated to Begode/Gotway in any way. This is my independent opinion.

• Like 1

Yes these wheels are definitely getting porky. However the longer term EUC riders will remember how crappy the shells were back then; if you even looked at the wheel wrong it would break. 

plus the motors are getting heavier, hollow motors weigh more, and they’re trying harder to make more durable shells (and they’ve mostly succeeded), you can’t get something for nothing. 

with that said, I’ve curtailed my EUC collection down to one wheel, the 1230Wh 100V MSX. 47-48 lb, 40+ mph, 20-25 mile range, pretty much all I need. I kind of outgrew long range rides; it is a highly inefficient (but fun) method of transport, particularly outside of urban areas 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, carlitos said:

Have you considered the MSX V2 or V3? 23.5Kg and it's got good performance with regards to range, speed and acceleration.

Fire hazard is definitely a problem with Gotway wheels but if you're not pushing the limits of the wheel nor hitting them hard all the time doing jumps and falling and all that it's a wheel that is just as safe as the other ones. Speaking from experiencie and from hearing other happy Gotway/Begode owners.

Inb4: I'm not affiliated to Begode/Gotway in any way. This is my independent opinion.

You answered your own question :D

I have considered an msx/msp but for the reason you mentioned I don't want a gotway.

I bought my 16x when gotway was having mosfet problems with the nikola.

5 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

Yes these wheels are definitely getting porky. However the longer term EUC riders will remember how crappy the shells were back then; if you even looked at the wheel wrong it would break. 

plus the motors are getting heavier, hollow motors weigh more, and they’re trying harder to make more durable shells (and they’ve mostly succeeded), you can’t get something for nothing. 

with that said, I’ve curtailed my EUC collection down to one wheel, the 1230Wh 100V MSX. 47-48 lb, 40+ mph, 20-25 mile range, pretty much all I need. I kind of outgrew long range rides; it is a highly inefficient (but fun) method of transport, particularly outside of urban areas 

Yeah that's an awesome wheel. Amazing power/kg.

The closest thing to that would be an RS19. :wub:

On 4/6/2022 at 4:15 PM, carlitos said:

Fire hazard is definitely a problem with Gotway wheels but if you're not pushing the limits of the wheel nor hitting them hard all the time doing jumps and falling and all that it's a wheel that is just as safe as the other ones.

Unfortunately your claim doesn’t seem to be correct. There have been at least two GW fires before they were even unpacked. It seems to have been  about the battery pack build quality and/or design and/or QC.

On 4/7/2022 at 6:31 AM, Ben Kim said:

I kind of outgrew long range rides; it is a highly inefficient (but fun) method of transport, particularly outside of urban areas 

Inefficient maybe but fun for sure. I recently completed a two day trip, riding two legs (ca 70km each) of the great Danube Bike Trail with my V11. It was pretty amazing.

• Like 1