Possible for EUCW report/log ambient air temp?

As per the title really...it would be really handy to compare rides/distances/battery consumptions. I have no idea if EUCW can pull the temp data from the phone or whether it would need another app to be installed. But it would be great if it could be done and then logged in the CSV file :)

Not all android phones gave ambient temperature sensors qnd if they'd need to be in free air near the wheel and not in some pocket or safe near the riders body...

Afaik wheels do not have ambient temperature sensors. :(

• Like 1

Yeah I did wonder if a temp provided by the phone would be a bit pointless for the reasons already mentioned (although mine is in a case strapped to the front of my rucksack straps). But yeah even local weather data would be handy, for example the temps on BBC weather are usually pretty accurate in my experience. In fact they are used in advance to judge whether I go for a ride or not!

9 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Yeah I did wonder if a temp provided by the phone would be a bit pointless for the reasons already mentioned (although mine is in a case strapped to the front of my rucksack straps). But yeah even local weather data would be handy, for example the temps on BBC weather are usually pretty accurate in my experience. In fact they are used in advance to judge whether I go for a ride or not!

EUC World is already using OpenWeatherMap.org data which seems quite reliable.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Planemo said:

Well I didn't know that! I don't recall seeing any references to weather on either the phone app or desktop app :)

There are weather reports you can include in periodic speech report or you can get weather report on demand, as a quick action linked to Flic button click, screen or smartwatch screen tap/button press etc.

Edited by Seba
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Seba said:

There are weather reports you can include in periodic speech report or you can get weather report on demand, as a quick action linked to Flic button click, screen or smartwatch screen tap/button press etc.

Ah OK I don't ever use EUCW speech functions at all so probably why I missed it.

4 hours ago, Planemo said:

Ah OK I don't ever use EUCW speech functions at all so probably why I missed it.

You are really missing out on one of @Seba's most beneficial features regarding safety/functionality IMO. This is especially true if you have Bluetooth enabled speakers fitted into your helmet. The list of voice messages that can be selected is exhaustive, with alarms being my main use for this invaluable feature. If it is at all a possibility for you to hook up your helmet with something like a Sena Bluetooth headset, I highly recommend the security of having safety related data that you can Always hear, rather than relying on the wheel's beeps!

Edit: Added to the above I am also using a Ticwatch Pro smartwatch, for a quick glance at speed etc. and vibration set for alarms. This combination has All the safety alerts I need covered. 

Edited by fbhb
  • Upvote 1

Oh for sure the speech alerts are a great idea but it just doesn't really work with my use case. I won't wear earbuds and I won't always have a full face helmet on to support internally mounted speakers either. Further, I am usually always connected to my rucksack mounted bluetooth JBL speaker but I never ride with it set loudly as I don't want to annoy people. So at 40mph, even if I was sending EUCW speech alerts to it, I wouldn't hear them through the JBL anyway.

On top of that, at the moment EUCW doesn't match the 70% stock Sherman alarm so although I know EUCW can be set 'nearish' using the battery level/speed sliders it's not the same and I would therefore err on the side of caution and have everything set lower than it really needed to be. I do however feel EUCW alerts vibrating through my Pebble quite easily, and I do run speed alarms for this purpose as a fallback in case I don't hear the wheel buzzer.

All that said, I have recently moved the stock buzzer to point out of the top of the wheel so I need to do some testing on it when some nicer weather arrives. It may be that I can hear it at top speed now anyway and therefore solve all my problems! It worked on the MSX, so fingers crossed.

• Like 1