Ninebot Z10

MDMason

I would love to have a new one for nostalgia purposes. Does anyone have any recommendations? Ebay has them supposedly "New" but since they have been out of production for quite a while it appears that it would be a risky purchase. Has anyone purchased one recently?

I must admit I'm not sure who would have new stock that I could trust, biggest concern being the battery pack which self-discharges and although I don't think it goes below irreparable/dangerous cell levels, getting it back online again can be a pain. It's why I check mine every month or so from September through to April-ish (I never ride it - it's for my daughter to use) and keep it charged between 2 and 3 bars, with as few partial charges as possible. I do put a full charge on it at some point during for balancing but if I do I take it out for a hiding to bring it back down to around 60%. The off-season battery maintenance is a bit of hassle tbh given I never ride it generally but it's mint with about 500 miles IIRC and I'm a stickler for battery care. I use Ninebattery regularly too to check cell balance.

I do think that getting a very good condition used one with low miles would be a better bet than buying new, but maybe if you can find a new one where the seller can provide pics of the battery meter it might help to show that it's not gone down to levels where it could be a risk to 'hot charge' it, which from what I remember isn't always going to be successful either.

But yeah, what a wheel. Even now the looks and build quality outshine just about anything out there to this day. And I must admit, it will always have a bit of a 'classic' legacy to it :)

• Like 3

I sent this message to a seller:

Would love to have a Z10 but they have been out of production for quite a while. What assurance do I have that the battery is still fully functioning?

I received this response:

We ordered this batch from factory in Dec, 2021, it is all in good function.

Should I risk it?

Wow. I didn't know they were still making Z10's only a month ago. Anyone else here know?

Failing that, I wonder if the seller would be prepared to give you a picture of the serial number on the box - they carry the date of manufacture..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Had a second quick ride on the Z10 this morning to scrub the New tyre in and took this screen grab of the batteries status using EUC World, at the end of the ride. Battery level was around 20% by this point, it's showing fairly even across the cell groups so for a 4year old wheel I'm more than happy.

Now if the latest offerings from other EUC manufacturers would ONLY try to catch up to at least this level of battery monitoring, that would be a positive step for EUC safety IMHO.

Z10 BMS

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, fbhb said:

Battery level was around 20% by this point, it's showing fairly even across the cell groups so for a 4year old wheel I'm more than happy

With about 1% less voltage for some cell groups. Could be interesting to look at this figures once the charger shows the green lihjt (finished), after disconnecting the charger and about an hour later and maybe next day.

Could bring some insight in balancing as such differences should be very well within the possibilities.

• Like 3