Request for EUC experiences in UK

samuelb712

Hi there,

This year I'm moving away from petrol as my source of adrenalin/fun. I used to ride a heavily modified Kawasaki zx9r and still own a little turbo hatchback. I am finding less pleasure in these lately and an EUC seems an excellent more planet friendly way to experience fun at a low, but perhaps perceived just as high speed thrill.

I have watched the excellent youtube content out there and although there seems to be a zero tolerance message from police - I think they are aiming at scooter gangs and a single EUC won't get taken off me unless I ride like an idiot? Anybody have any UK based experience?

I work about 5 miles from home and like to go home for lunch - I cycle and take the car when I feel tired. 

I think an EUC could fill this gap and I have the motorcycle gear (helmet gloves, boots etc) to try as neeeded. 

I think I'm looking at a King Song 18 L. I don't need much range, but 30 mph seems like a sensible speed so I can keep up with traffic. Its also a stepping stone to a sherman or faster wheel, but half the price. I have a jiu jitsu class 9 miles away so I will need a fast/big wheel if I commit fully. Otherwise the 18L will be its own activity - I don't have to replace the car, but one less on the road etc etc.

There are a few shops in the UK. I want to support the shop that has treated its customers right. Is there a no.1 place to get your wheel from in the UK? e rides looks good?

Any comment/feedback gratefully received.

• Like 3

Hello, 

Reading posts hear, I have heard mixed information on the police. Some say no problems others have had their wheels confiscated. 

The 18L and 18XL are great wheels. I highly recommend them. The 18L can do 20 miles. For the money I would get the 18XL. It seems like the battery is only a little bigger but it makes a big difference. 
- cheers 

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I understand riding anything electric (EUC / escooter / eskate) in zones 1, 2 or 3 can be an issue. I ride in the suburbs and so far haven't had any issues but then I don't ride every day etc. 9 miles is a fair distance on crowded city streets and you may find you need a larger battery (18XL) otherwise you end up recharging a lot, you'll also find it more tiring than you anticipate. Can you put the wheel somewhere secure at work or at the gym etc? it won't fit in a locker. I'm not sure how well EUCs stand up against other forms of transport on a purely functional basis - sure, it's great fun and ecologically friendly but there's the "edge" of meeting a cop who's having a bad day and losing your wheel.

There are electric scooters like the NQI GTS/S that have good range and speed and are legal but obviously look like scooters. Then there's bicycles like the VanMoof S3 that have decent range and are legal. An EUC, when you can ride it, can offer a lot of advantages but the legal side is a drag if you're wanting to use it as a main form of transport. It will also probably be 6 months before you feel comfortable at 30mph - I've been riding for 2 years and only feel comfortable at about 25mph. Even petrol scooters offer much better economy than your Zx9r - my NC750 does 80mpg and my Royal Enfield 500 easily returns 90mpg.

It really depends where you are in the UK. Central London whilst doable will generally cause headaches.

My personal experience where I live is some police want you, some don't care. I am just outside the M25.

I ride to work on it half the year which is 3 miles each way and can do this via cycle paths almost exclusively. During commutes I have had police drive past me and ignore me. But after work when riding through chav ville the police there who are already worked up can sometimes call you over (but I ignore them, sorry).

In regards to EUC shops in the UK. 

You have SpeedyFeet in Gloucestershire and E-Rides in London.

My personal opinion is fuck riding in London. But there are many who do.

As for the best way to get the adrenaline pumping. Speed alone isn't that great, I ride a 1290 GT and there is no realm in which an EUC satisfies the SPEEEED itch. For me, riding off road through woods until you are pouring sweat is where the fun is at. Also commutes are more fun on it than commuting on the bike.

• Like 1

I am in the US. I frequently ride along a bike - pedestrian path that is about 15 miles long. The first 10 miles have never been a problem. The last 5 miles, I get a lot of dumb COPs that I have learned to just wiz by and ignore. Come to find out the fist 10 miles are knowledgeable park rangers while the last 5 miles are ignorant of the law city rent a cops. I have always wounded if they are angry because they are dumb or dumb because they are angry. Chicken or egg. 

• Haha 1

Local law Enforcement. (some)

City Police, County Sheriffs, Transit Authority Police, School District Police, Housing Authority Police, District Attorneys' Office Investigators, Airport Police, Harbor Police, University Police, Hospital Police......

Depending on the state, there could be more or less.

State Law enforcement. (some)

National Guard, Highway Patrol, State Troopers

Federal Law Enforcement (some).

National Guard, Federal Marshals, Bureau of Alcohol/Tobacco/Firearms, Capitol Police, CIA, FBI, Coast Guard Investigative Services, Customs and Border Protection, Department of Homeland Security, DEA, Federal Protective Service, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, IRS, Park Police, Postal Inspection Service, Secret Service, Inspector Generals.......

Should feed safe and sound with so much law enforcement....:D

Thankyou everyone for your input.

I live in a London suburb. Not many police around until recently , they seemed to appear with covid. 

There seems a lot of decent wheels around £1300-£1500 so looking at this price point. Also looking for a safe place to learn. 

• Like 1

Whereabouts are you?

Learning is best on short grass - a local park or somesuch, away from people. Both myself and my daughter got to grips with mounting/dismounting in my back garden then headed to the park. Worked well for us. Parks will also generally have some tarmac paths which you can have a go on once you're OK with the grass. Once you're confident in the park you can try cycle lanes, back roads etc.

I wouldn't ride in London unless I was in a group of at least 5 although I avoid it completely if possible. Safety in numbers as they say. And I certainly wouldn't commute on my wheel anywhere in the UK (unless it was a really remote locations), it would only be a matter of time before you get stopped, especially if riding alone.

I am from the UK, Cippenham in Slough 30 miles from Central London. I started riding an  euc August last year on a Kingsong 16x upgraded to a RS19 HT in October... then put a deposit on a Commander HS in December which arrives February 9th... I take my euc everywhere gym (just about fits in the portals)  work day and my second job nightclub security... The Police leave me alone I go to the gym in the early hours, I get strange looks like wtf is that but that's about it.... I have seen scooters get stopped but most of the riders are clueless.... don't let the Police put you off I have been modifying cars for years and spent silly amounts of money on various build... Electric unicycle is single-handedly the best thing I have done in years... you can learn on any wheel, you will like a high speed wheel, the acceleration in a ht wheel Is nice, hopefully those 3000plus watt wheels will have both High torque and high speed.

I Purchased both my euc  RS19 and upcoming Commander from PET Personalelectrictranport, E-rides is also a good shop to Purchase from.

Edited by Badking45
  • Like 3