Mango

11 minutes ago, novazeus said:

that makes sense. plus going from the s18 to the s22, i'm understanding that my foot pressure might not be enough to stop these heavier wheels, might take some leg action as well. big change from my old wheels.

damn u, making me spend more money!

There are worse things to spend it on!

I want to see video of your dog riding one of your wheels. I've only seen a couple, but nothing wins over people to EUCs like seeing pooch pilot videos!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Vee's unboxing is out. She took it for a quick test run.

Mind you, the V13 is still very new to her, but she didn't looked she could accelerate nor brake very well.

I guess we have to see if she can figure out the settings to allow her to access the torque more readily. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, UPONIT said:

There are worse things to spend it on!

I want to see video of your dog riding one of your wheels. I've only seen a couple, but nothing wins over people to EUCs like seeing pooch pilot videos!

Bob is an Anatolian Shepherd or Kangal. livestock guard dog. very intelligent and very independent. 

he's too smart to ride a wheel. unless he's guarding, he's very protective of his body. he wouldn't run thru my fence the way my stupid donkey did yesterday. 

i showed him the bulldogs on skateboards having big fun and he thinks they are nuts.

btw, living here and the value of Bob. yesterday on our walk, Bob is always on point, and coming around the containers there was a big black snake and Bob charged at it and it ran away. i think it was a black snake. good. i need less rats. i don't have the same fear of snakes like i use to, but i do like Bob letting me know in advance. 

and Bob now at 6 is too fat. he's not gonna get to ride anything until he drops ten pounds. he sb 155, not 165.

23 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Mind you, the V13 is still very new to her, but she didn't looked she could accelerate nor brake very well.

I guess we have to see if she can figure out the settings to allow her to access the torque more readily. 

grabbing the front handle seems to be the way riders ride this. 

my father would beat me if i ever grabbed the horn of the saddle, but i guess this is different. 

should u try to ride it hands free, ya think, or just start using arms and hands for control and leverage. the only time i grab or try to is right before i lay it over, and i suck at that. i just let it nap for a few moments. i figure it wasn't ready. not my fault.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, techyiam said:

my road is only a half a mile long, if that. and it's only 12' wide with soft, gnarly shoulders, so since i suck at u-turns, i stop at my gate and grab it, and if like my foot position, start back home where i grab a tractor tire or something else so i don't have to dismount and mount every half mile. 

these s22 pedals, like the inmotion are way bigger than the s18 and really big compared to the older wheels. in other words, my toes aren't hanging over the front, and with the longer pedals i noticed my feet weren't cutting it for stopping. the heavier s22 felt like it was freewheeling compared to the s18. i like the larger pedals, i guess, just gonna take a different riding style. i'd actually like the same size pedals on all three.

Edited by novazeus

17 minutes ago, novazeus said:

should u try to ride it hands free, ya think, or just start using arms and hands for control and leverage.

For larger wheels, riders do grab the front handle for stability and to increase braking actuation torque.

For smaller diameter wheels, for example, a V12, there's no need to grab the front of the wheel and pull for more braking power. Hands free is fine.

Since my Abrams has good pedal sensitivity, most of the time, I don't need to grab the front handle to brake. But for those times I want to brake harder, I do grab the front handle to help me stay balanced as I lean back more, and push on my heels.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, techyiam said:

For larger wheels, riders do grab the front handle for stability and to increase braking actuation torque.

For smaller diameter wheels, for example, a V12, there's no need to grab the front of the wheel and pull for more braking power. Hands free is fine.

Since my Abrams has good pedal sensitivity, most of the time, I don't need to grab the front handle to brake. But for those times I want to brake harder, I do grab the front handle to help me stay balanced as I lean back more, and push on my heels.

my s22 is on expert mode as well, but with the longer pedals, i don't think i have the leverage like the shorter pedals on the s18. big difference in foot actuated braking. 

i might have to get more flexible so i can grab the front handle of the v13. or else i might look like my donkey hitting my gate. 

these new big wheels are just a totally different experience, starting and stopping from the old wheels and the ones they are still selling, like the v8, v10, all the non suspension wheels king song still sells, although i haven't tried their newer non suspension wheels.

so pads for stopping and starting is another thing to learn.

6 minutes ago, novazeus said:

my road is only a half a mile long, if that. and it's only 12' wide with soft, gnarly shoulders, so since i suck at u-turns, i stop at my gate and grab it, and if like my foot position, start back home where i grab a tractor tire or something else so i don't have to dismount and mount every half mile. 

Nope. You need to not suck at making U-Turns.  🙂

Otherwise, it is not expedient and take away some enjoyment. 

12' is wide. You just need to practice making large U-turns first, than smaller and smaller until they are less than 12' in diameter. 

Experiment and try to get a feel for it. Wrongway has a video showing u-turns. 

13 minutes ago, novazeus said:

the heavier s22 felt like it was freewheeling compared to the s18. i like the larger pedals, i guess, just gonna take a different riding style. i'd actually like the same size pedals on all three.

I don't ride a Kingsong, so I don't know the terminology they use.

First thing is to play with the pedal hardness setting. I call it pedal sensitivity.  High sensitivity means for the same rider input, the wheel will brake harder. Sometimes, this can help.

The other thing is to increase effectiveness of the rider input to get the wheel to brake harder by using the pads effectively. 

The S22 is not a beginner's wheel. You will need to figure out how use the pads effectively. Experiment a little. Also, you may not be ready for the S22 too. I don't  know.

I don't actually own an S22, so the following is just a general concept. 

Instead of focusing placing your body weight on the pedals, focus in putting your body weight on the braking pads. Slide your legs back against the braking pads while leaning back, and sit down. You need to stiffen your ankles and dig in with your heels too. You have to play with it, and get a feel for it. It can take a lot of practice. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Paradox said:

great review. honest opinions without prejudice. 

all his points are well taken. his impressions are what i imagined.

and i'm always amazed at a human that can speak two or more languages. my brain doesn't function that way.

i would remind denis however, that inmotion did name it, "challenger". i think not after our exploding space shuttle, but because of this:

challenger

[ chal-in-jer ]SHOW IPA

📙 Middle School Level

noun
a person or thing that challenges.

and that is why i ordered one. if i wanted easy, i'd get a wheelchair, but i'm not quite there yet.
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, techyiam said:

12' is wide. You just need to practice making large U-turns first, than smaller and smaller until they are less than 12' in diameter. 

i wish i had pavement wider than 12', but i don't. there's a tennis court next door about a quarter mile from my gate in carpenter's run subdivision, i could sneak off to for a few minutes without Bob getting nervous about me returning, but it's locked(nobody uses it) and i have friends over there that would let me have the gate code, but i don't wanna do that. 

i disagree, 12' isn't wide, especially if u run off the road ur in bad terrain. 

i might need to take my tractor and box blade and see if i can at least find a spot to grade it level with the road surface. all big oak tree roots just barely under the surface. 

or, what i should really do, is grade a spot up on my hill, and plant some rye grass, dual purpose for the herd, and have a nice smooth big ass area and not as hard as my pavement and tree roots to fall in.

sticks and stones will break my bones. 

i know it's just mental with me, because i can do a huge  wheel lean tight turn on the return leg leaving my gate, but slowing and turning, i think the fear of running off my road is stifling me. 

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

“You just need to your legs back against the braking pads while leaning back, and sit down. You need to stiffen your ankles and dig in with your heels too. You have to play with it, and get a feel for it. It can take a lot of practice. “

This sounds a little bit like breaking on a snow board.  

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, techyiam said:

The S22 is not a beginner's wheel. You will need to figure out how use the pads effectively. Experiment a little. Also, you may not be ready for the S22 too. I don't  know.

not exactly a beginner, just starting over after 4 years of being away. the s22 was the first wheel i rode in 4 years. loved it, np. then i set it aside and put almost 60 miles on the s18 in three days this week. then got back on the s22 and i was like, wtf is wrong with this thing. so funny to me how every wheel is so different, and ur mind and body adapt to one, and u switch to another, and ur uncomfortable again. 

while i love just straight up honest reviews, to really evaluate these wheels, i think a rider needs to really acclimate to it before suggesting a modification to the wheel. 

like denis and dawn obviously ride very differently, and yet both have extensive motorcycle experience. 

the knobby, i hope, like the knobby on the s22, are better on loose aggregate and leaves, which my road is covered in. i think a motorcycle tire would be great if i lived in a subdivision on nice mantained pavement, i've had very little experience on that, just a couple of quick demos for friends around a restaurant parking lot, and that was a very different feeling. 

i do know from my street riding motorcycle days, that loose aggregate going into a turn will put u down on regular motorcycle tires and will hydroplane like crazy on rain soaked interstates. i rode back from ocala in a heavy rain on my ktm superduke r with it's race tires on and i felt like a stone skipping across the lake. 

haha, back in 2017, i even thought about buying used conveyor belts to make myself a decent size area for practice. 

might still do that. cows will probably use them like a litter box.

i could go next door to the outlet mall and use the wesley chapel blvd ext that dead ends into the creek, but Bob would know and be pissed at me.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, novazeus said:

then got back on the s22 and i was like, wtf is wrong with this thing. so funny to me how every wheel is so different, and ur mind and body adapt to one, and u switch to another, and ur uncomfortable again. 

True that.

If I ride my V12 or Abrams for weeks and then go back on my T3, the T3 will feel skittish, too light, and like a toy. The T3 weighs about 50 lbs.

If I ride the T3 for months, and then switch back to my V12 or Abrams, it would probably take a few kilometers to reacquaint with the bigger wheels. The body does adapt to a wheel. 

Surprisingly, I can switch between my V12 and my Abrams, and I don't feel that much of a difference to ride. But if I lose my balance then the Abrams would be much more difficult to deal with.

42 minutes ago, novazeus said:

i rode back from ocala in a heavy rain on my ktm superduke r with it's race tires on

Never rode one, but heard that it is a really fun bike. Tons of power, low weight, easy to flick into corners. Holy moly, slicks in rain?

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Eyss said:

Clark is also doing a bumper / seat option

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/permalink/5779563302141585/?sfnsn=mo&ref=share&mibextid=KtfwRi

He estimated $250. 

I don't like how the bumpers look on the begode wheels but keen to see how this one looks as protection + seat + kickstand. 

Thanks for posting this Eyss!

Guys and Gals, what are your thoughts on this application for challenger?  Pros vs Cons?

Challenger seems tough enough that you wouldn’t need this but seems like for such an expensive wheel it would make sense to protect it even more.  

Would it somehow interfere with the flow pads or the stock pads? I’m super green so I don’t know if you can use the Clark system and the other pads but it looks like they work simultaneously and have separate functions.

3D8F5019-7F69-4780-8403-DE3660E457F0.thumb.jpeg.b4e7704a413f3ec95a7221187403d925.jpeg

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 2

not making excuses for my shitty riding, but just now taking my cold garden hose shower and washing my feet, i remembered that i did step on a door casing staple that popped thru my crocs and into the ball of my right foot on new years eve(fuck 2022, a very shitty year for me, glad ur gone!)and very thankful i didn't have to spend thousands going to a doctor. puncture wounds like that are very serious. i steeped on a needle when i was younger, and that required an emergency room visit. 

it hurt like hell. it tried to get infected. i iced the shit out of it and took lots of advil for inflamation. it's finally not red today. haha, maybe that's why the s18 was pulling left. i couldn't put my weight on the ball of my right foot. feels almost a 100% today and the weather is nice.

haha, happy new years to me. this was monday. only did like 12 miles that day i think. two days after i stepped on the staple.53DE3781-8BFE-45E4-A053-E90516F647FD.png.e86eafd604e1499e079c87716d9bb2cf.png

if this was causing me pain, and it was, it was serious because i'm pretty immune to pain because of my massive oral doses of thc for my cancer. 

and anybody that wants more thrills, eat some gummies before u ride, haha, just joking, don't do it, u will die!

and i used cannabis extract on this wound as well. great wound medicine, plus it will kill and skin cancers as well.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Never rode one, but heard that it is a really fun bike. Tons of power, low weight, easy to flick into corners. Holy moly, slicks in rain?

race tires, very little rain grooves. probably should change them after 3000 miles but istretched mine to 6k before i saw the steel belts peeking thru. i think that's what caused my one and only tank slap that night leaving the bar. didn't go down but it beat the hell out of ne.

ya, quite the corner carver.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, novazeus said:

jason said 1st batch sold, but i guess not delivered yet?

Ewheels website shows The 13 Challenger is still available at the earlybird price with estimated delivery time by end of January.  It’s cool that someone could still get in at a discounted price and the wait time would be so short!  

He’s also got V13 Seats on order and 124V/10A Fast Chargers coming in soon after that.  (About a month later) 

Thanks Jason!

Edited by Josiah
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Hardly, since we have already seen 56mph

According to Marty that was 56mph on the wheel.  The video shows the GPS speed, the wheel shows 4mph higher at that speed.  I would assume that this isn't the fastest the wheel is capable of, just what Inmotion believe to be a safe speed to set as the maximum for the wheel.  Personally I think 56mph (90kph) is plenty fast enough, even if the GPS only shows 52mph.  I do wonder what speed the wheel would max-out at (just before a really fast crash) if someone were to create custom firmware that removed all limits. I definitely wouldn't want to be the one riding one when discovering what the limit was though.

• Upvote 3