Mango

2 hours ago, Josiah said:

What’s the DRL?

As already answered, it's Day(time) Running Light(s), which in case of V13 is the circle light around the lens with main LEDs in the middle. Have you checked the tail kill spin button? Unplugging it's cable would most likely let you turn on / off your V13 normally. 

2 minutes ago, Josiah said:

Made the switch with my order.  Thanks

I would advise against using the other, but your choice. The stuff that was under the board originally looks exactly like the processor stuff and it's really not that expensive. It's a $4k wheel, $20 in paste to make sure it's right seems like a no brainier to me. IMO why use something different.

Just now, chanman said:

It's a pain in the ass to spread around a huge area, I tried on my S22 with something pretty similar and it does not spread well. The S22 definitely has a thermal silicone deal and not the chip paste stuff, haven't seen the V13.

I only say this because as i said before i had to replace the controller already and the paste that is under it matched perfectly with the processor stuff i had and the stuff i ordered. The syringe makes it easy . it's like squirting a bead of calking around the base. when you screw it down if there is enough it will spread out evenly, you just have to torque it down in a cross bolt pattern.

• Like 1

Gotcha, makes sense as that's the same dynamic as squishing with a processor cooler. The S22 is actually quite different, the goo I'm thinking of is on like a curved surface connecting the already metal heatsink of the controller to more of the metal body, but on V13's I see we're talking about the board directly to the controller heatsink after looking at the teardown. (I think it was also under the s22 mosfets but I replaced it with the good stuff)

I had some misunderstanding of where the paste was, for which you should use the processor paste if you're not using a pad like many wheels, but not the silicone stuff. @Josiahmy bad for confusion.

Edited by chanman
  • Like 1

Charged my wheel overnight. It was a little chilly getting down to 10 degrees Celsius. 

Went to ride it in the morning and got the below error

XpoVPNi.jpeg

Checking the battery shows a difference in packs (4.2 v 4.1)

Warning was a bit vague. Wasn't sure if I could ride it, or if I needed to contact my dealer. Or what.

Ended up riding. Once the pack went down to 4.1v the error went away. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

They should sort that slightly over-cautious warning out - such a tiny voltage difference is not of great concern, but charging during low temperatures can be if you do it too close to 0 degrees C. However 10C shouldn't be problematic for that. Batteries are happiest being charged at the same temps that humans find comfortable.

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Check your v13 for motor endplay, That is the problem i am having with it wearing a groove into the sliders.

https://streamable.com/mqnhxd

could u please explain "motor endplay" for me? u and @Josiahunfortunately are having to be wheel mechanics and i've never looked inside any wheel except for my first wheel, the ks 18s i had to put the batteries in. 

and yeah, that was a great chooch trail video. not being a karen because when i was 18 and bought my first motorcycle, i used to race around the ranch and literally graze big pine trees and think nothing of it until years later. i just pray he never hits a tree. but his video, plus the observation that the v13 seems to break in, kinda like the break in for cars. when i first got it, it seemed too plasticky and creaky to take in my pastures, which are way worse than that trail, but since my pastures are scorched right now because lack of rain, and the v13 seems to have tighten up, i might try it today. might try the s22 again out there too.(sure wish freemotion and king song would send me the replacement sliders because i think the s22 would be my best pasture tool if any wheel would work out there).

and yeah, the v13 will self correct oscillations if the rider gets out of the way and doesn't panic. Bob was complaining alot about me riding yesterday, and it was brutally hot as well, so we all spent the afternoon in the container with the ac on burning gas in the generator and i had to finish my 30 plus mile practicing at night. the headlight works pretty good. much easier seeing my road imperfections, so it's actually smoother at night, and being conscious of my weight distribution on the soles of my feet, i've completely eliminated any oscillations. at night the headlight will tell u if the wheel oscillates. 

Bob only allows me so much time per day riding a wheel. i think his brain has a perfect timer because he always starts complaining around mile 20. so because the "challenger" is so much more interesting to ride, idk if i'll ever want to ride the s18 or the s22 again. it's like having a mecedes and two other cars in ur garage. ur always gonna want to drive the mercedes. seriously thinking about selling the king songs and buying another v13 with the stock knobby for pasture work. 

chooch refers to this activity as a hobby but i think it's more like a sport. i'm hoping they don't require alot of wrenching and it becomes a hobby/sport. i just wanna ride and improve my skills. i hear people complain about going back to the tennis court to practice, i would so love to have pavement wider than 12' to practice u-turns on. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, HEC said:

Unplugging it's cable would most likely let you turn on / off your V13 normally. 

Nailed it!  The cable connection to the tail light board was somehow not connected properly.  I noticed slight pressure on the switch would disengage the kill switch function.  Un plugged it and re set it.  Now it’s working perfectly. I’ll wait for the controller board thermal past install before going on a big ride though. 

18 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Isn't it integrated into the tail light board? I don't think it has it's own plug.

The connector was clipped and still shorting,  I may try the electrical grease you recommended.  Did already have the hot glue around the perimeter of the wires from your suggestion a while back.  

Also, still waiting on a replacement shock set and mud guard assembly from Jason.  Noticed that both sides the suspension is still holding air.  Pumped them up to 250 for the bigger drops. I’ll look into the oil leak also.  Might be from the dent I put in the tube or might be not fully kthreaded on the bottom before installing to the wheel.  (Would Teflon tape be an option for those threads?

thanks again

Edited by Josiah
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Isn't it integrated into the tail light board? I don't think it has it's own plug.

Correct, it's part of the taillight large plug. Still, unplugging it shall disengage the kill switch and let the wheel to power on / off normally. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Josiah said:

Nailed it!  The cable connection to the tail light board was somehow not connected properly.  I noticed slight pressure on the switch would disengage the kill switch function.  Un plugged it and re set it.  Now it’s working perfectly. I’ll wait for the controller board thermal past install before going on a big ride though. 

Great! It basically struck me the moment I saw the DRL toggle in your video upon pressing power button. Hopefully you'll get the thermal paste soon and manage to bring your V13 back to operational state.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Motor endplay is the amount of space between the axle shaft and the bearings which are mounted in the covers. Usually if there is more than a few millimeters then the factory will install "thrust" washers to take up the space so the axle shaft cant float back and forth between the covers. Mine seems to have about 3/4" space so the axle is moving back and forth horizontally causing the covers to hit the slide rails on either side, It's not being held centered between the two. Hope that explanation helps. You can check it by laying yours on the side and grabbing the wheel on both sides and wiggling it up and down.  There should be no play back and forth on the shaft so it won't "clunk" like mine is in the video.

thanks for that, i'm scared to check. just finished another great 40+ mile nonstop practice session and Bob only complain once or twice. 

if things come together like i want developing my property, i definitely want to build a go kart/wheel racing track here so i can compete in the 70 and over races. i'll be 69 in a few days, so i'll be ready. 

i might be sloppy at freemounting and u-turns, but i'm getting pretty good off the line and braking. i'll be ready. i'm kinda competitive and wheel racing looks like lots of fun. hope there's prize money.

i'm on day 20 with the v13 and i did skip a day, but i'll catch up. i'm trying to get more miles than @Forwardnbak. idk when he started with his, but i know i'll pass him, if Bob lets me. i might try to clock 20 tn because Bob is more patient about me riding at night for some reason.

ya, just looked, he got his a week before me. course i do have the street tire that does inflate my mileage a bit. 

053A13F4-9582-451A-A854-6E8DF1320133.png.bff594c4eb8a4aea1c72f9b5e9e7723f.png

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Josiah said:

@Punxatawneyjoe what is your raptor controller sealed down with silicone? Mine was and I had to razor it out.  Should I add new silicone after I mount it with the thermal paste?

Yes, mine had a thin bead of silicone around it. I put a thin bead back around it. It's probably not crucial because it is packed with that thermal grease under it and there isn't really any exposed electronics under there.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

Yes, mine had a thin bead of silicone around it. I put a thin bead back around it. It's probably not crucial because it is packed with that thermal grease under it and there isn't really any exposed electronics under there.

My rule of thumb thinking is that, it would be unusual for manufacturers to put in a part or something, like a sealant, that is not needed. More likely than not, it's the other way around. Usually for mass production, they would get somebody to scrutinize the BOM to save every penny they can.

Edited by techyiam

woop woop, Bob let me ride 60.8 miles or 97.8km for @Forwardnbak today. 40.5 miles in one session and 20.3 miles i just finished tn. 

if u have ever ridden that far in a day, u will definitely understand that the balls and heels are what makes a wheel go and stop.

0F485682-E1A3-4D36-8684-F91911A1489F.png.eaa32ed3543516fbf848d917c0867517.png3AAE918F-6D88-4327-8B7A-D54C0BF31616.png.5c12586ac164f56c20ec4719115ead47.png

i'm a tad slower at night. the headlight is good but not that good.

i feel like i'm getting the legs i need now. lots of control.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

what's not that good about it?

not far enough. sometimes if the slope of my road is just right, u get a good distance but going into my curve headed out, it's pretty dark. it's a very focused beam. i probably should put reflectors on my 90 degree curve so i don't enter it too hot, but in reality, if i wasn't afraid of the leaves and oak blossoms littered all over, i could take the curve at full speed. 

makes it more interesting. just happy the cows bed down elsewhere at night. the sandhill cranes and their babies think sandhill lane, belongs to them. had to emergency brake for them again today. very aggressive when they have babies.

the headlight needs a hall sensor and motor to keep it level.

and rotate like fancy cars around corners.

what was funny tn was, i was in a hurry to get an extra twenty miles in, and the wind had stopped blowing, so i'm off and running and so nice and quiet with the michelin and listening to my other phone playing music, and after a couple of laps i realized i forgot my open face leatt helmet. these mountain bike helmets do create lots of wind noise. when i realized what i had done, i got it and put it on just to be safe. i do trust my wheel alot though. jacob at neltrek did a perfect job on everything. i love this wheel.

Edited by novazeus
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

I usually ride with 2° tilt back when riding at night to help with that. Nothing is going to help it on a corner though.

Couldn't you hold a powerful flashlight in you hand? :)

• Like 1