Help: V10F Early Tilt-back below 30 km/h [Resolved]

TotoroDan

Update: I was able to confirm with the help of a local retailer using their business channels with Inmotion that this is programmed behavior. The lower the pedal sensitivity, the lower the max speed. The extent the max speed is lowered will vary between "commuter" and "off-road" mode.

---

Tldr: Do you experience an early tilt-back below 30 km/h on a full battery when your V10F is set to off-road mode with pedal sensitivity at 0?

---

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue or if they can help investigate it if they own an Inmotion V10F.

I went for a ride yesterday on a soft trail, some dirt, some gravel and had 4-5 falls. Nothing crazy, I was able to step off every time and I was going very slow, likely <5 km/h and the wheel didn't have any hard impacts. Either falling on its side while spinning a bit or hitting and resting against a fallen tree.

On my way home, I noticed I was getting tilt-back at lower speeds than it should be. I still had 60%-70% battery life so it shouldn't be happening. When I checked my app, it looked like I was triggering the tilt-back at just under 30 km/h. I didn't notice this on my way to the off-road area though.

Being hopeful, I figured perhaps the battery cells didn't discharge evenly because I didn't wait for balancing to finish when I charged the night prior.  Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case because I made sure to balance the battery pack last night and I still encountered the issue today.

I took the V10F for a ride and some tests today and found the early tilt-back was still occurring. However, I discovered that if I use "Commute" mode, it seems to be okay and I only get the tilt-back when I hit or am nearing 40 km/h as expected (and as configured). I switched it back to "Off-road" mode and the early tilt-back at high 20s km/h presents itself. These tests were done on a flat road.

Another new experience today was a "permanent tilt-back". I was going up a decently steep hill, perhaps faster than I have in the past because I hadn't gone up a steep hill in awhile and the first time I did, I was even more of a beginner. But I heard a message from the V10F and the machine gently tilted back and stayed tilted back. I thought it was temperature overheating but the app showed a low temperature of 45 C. The tilt-back released when I triggered the "no free spin" button used when lifting the machine.  So my next thought is that it was overloaded but I'm not sure if this is the behaviour for an "overload".

I've tried:

• Diagnostics, everything is okay. Tried it multiple times, pre-charge and after fully charged and with different configurations set.
  • Reset Configuration through the Inmotion app which actually didn't seem to work...
  • Different pedal sensitivities in either mode. It felt like 100% triggered the early tilt-back issue at slightly lower speeds but I'm not really sure (I didn't want to be staring at my phone to check the speed while riding). It might have no effect whatsoever.
  • Made sure the limit is set to 40 km/h using the Inmotion app (and not anything lower); EUC World reports the same number.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be happening here? It's kind of strange that this is only occurring in one of the modes.

I thought of taking apart my wheel to see if anything is loose but I don't know if that would void the warranty.  I'm thinking of contacting my seller to see if they can help instead. At this point, it makes me feel uncomfortable to ride the EUC because of this unexpected behaviour. 

I'm pretty sure this behaviour is not normal but if you also have a V10F and can run some tests to confirm, I would be very grateful. I am pretty sure I have ridden my EUC in "Off-road" mode without hitting an early tilt-back but I feel my memory is hazy now.

Sorry for the wall of text, cheers everyone!

Edited by TotoroDan
Added tldr. Title. Updated with resolution.

9 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

There is anecdotal evidence (mine included) that the V10f will tilt-back "early" in some situations...

Can you share your riding weight and the terrain at the time?

The terrain was flat when I encountered and tested these issues. My weight is ~65 kg so I don't think it's a significant factor.

I'll see if I can do a few more test runs today with EUC World's tour recording. Maybe the power-related data can provide some insight.

• Like 1

I went to a quiet and flat street to do some test runs. I adjusted the riding mode between "commuter" and "off-road", and for each mode, I set the pedal sensitivity to 100 and 0. Each test run involved accelerating as steadily as I could until I hit the tilt-back, then I would end the tour to save it.

Album of images: https://imgur.com/a/kba3rWW
I originally recorded two tours for each variation (commuter with 100 pedal sensitivity, commuter with 0 pedal sensitivity, etc) but it looks like EUC World will write over old tours with the same name.

Anyhow, I'm not quite sure what could be the cause of the issue. It seems like configuring the V10F to be more responsive (off-road mode increasing response, 0 pedal sensitivity increasing response) is when the issue appears. From my testing, the combo of off-road with 0 pedal sensitivity only allowed me to reach ~27 km/h before I encountered the tilt-back. Whereas commuter with 100 pedal sensitivity is the most normal feeling. This can be seen in the images except the low data polling frequency is obscuring some of the data. The power related statistics did not reveal anything of particular interest.

Edited by TotoroDan
Clarification

Seems strange indeed. The first thing I’d try is to do a calibration. Tumbles can disturb the horizontal calibration which can cause a few strange issues. You should be able to find the proper steps searching for “V10F calibration” via Google or YouTube.

If that doesn’t help, I wonder if the V10F has a similar “soft reset” function as the V11 does with holding the power button for 30 seconds when powering off.

If it does and that doesn’t help either, I’m a bit at loss. Maybe check if there’s a firmware upgrade available that would help? Or if no software function seems to help, maybe even open the wheel up enough to be able to unplug the battery wire, and flushing the mainboard caps by then holding the power button for 30 seconds, letting it sit for a good half an hour or more , and only then reconnecting and assembling the wheel back together.

I do hope that the calibration would be all that’s needed though!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Seems strange indeed. The first thing I’d try is to do a calibration. Tumbles can disturb the horizontal calibration which can cause a few strange issues. You should be able to find the proper steps searching for “V10F calibration” via Google or YouTube.

If that doesn’t help, I wonder if the V10F has a similar “soft reset” function as the V11 does with holding the power button for 30 seconds when powering off.

If it does and that doesn’t help either, I’m a bit at loss. Maybe check if there’s a firmware upgrade available that would help? Or if no software function seems to help, maybe even open the wheel up enough to be able to unplug the battery wire, and flushing the mainboard caps by then holding the power button for 30 seconds, letting it sit for a good half an hour or more , and only then reconnecting and assembling the wheel back together.

I do hope that the calibration would be all that’s needed though!

Thanks for the suggestions. I have indeed tried the calibration available in the Inmotion app but it didn't affect this strange issue.

The "soft reset" is a good idea. I'll look through the manual again to see if it has any info on that. If not, I'll try the soft reset for V11 you mentioned.

The firmware is up to date but I wish there was a way to reinstall it. I don't think that exists though.

I've ended up emailing the store I bought it from to see if they are experienced with disassembling and diagnosing issues. Hopefully they can look into it, otherwise I'll have to roll up my sleeves and disassemble it myself which is something I'd like to avoid, haha.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2021 at 4:12 AM, TotoroDan said:

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue or if they can help investigate it if they own an Inmotion V10F.

I went for a ride yesterday on a soft trail, some dirt, some gravel and had 4-5 falls. Nothing crazy, I was able to step off every time and I was going very slow, likely <5 km/h and the wheel didn't have any hard impacts. Either falling on its side while spinning a bit or hitting and resting against a fallen tree.

On my way home, I noticed I was getting tilt-back at lower speeds than it should be. I still had 60%-70% battery life so it shouldn't be happening. When I checked my app, it looked like I was triggering the tilt-back at just under 30 km/h. I didn't notice this on my way to the off-road area though.

Its notmal V10F is 35km/h EUC on 70-80% battery you experience 28-30km/h Nothing is broken is just normal no stress.

Many riders forgot what is real 960Wh performance this EUC maybee you firmware is set to more conservative in newer batch.

In eucworld you can "hack" v10f to 45km/h this mean more agresive (faster) aceleration curve but you risk faceplant then = NOT RECOMMENDED TO ANYONE!

I remeber after 1000Meters from home my V10F max speed was 36 to 33 km/h when hit safety tiltback.

Again no stress you v10f is fine this euc is not speed demon dont use v10f like that if you want speed/power go to other brand  or model you just outgrow this euc.

On 8/23/2021 at 4:12 AM, TotoroDan said:

Another new experience today was a "permanent tilt-back". I was going up a decently steep hill, perhaps faster than I have in the past because I hadn't gone up a steep hill in awhile and the first time I did, I was even more of a beginner. But I heard a message from the V10F and the machine gently tilted back and stayed tilted back. I thought it was temperature overheating but the app showed a low temperature of 45 C. The tilt-back released when I triggered the "no free spin" button used when lifting the machine.  So my next thought is that it was overloaded but I'm not sure if this is the behaviour for an "overload".

This is classic "overload get out" no stress is mosfet protection and reason why i sell v10f too weak for extreme situations.

Gear yourself always!

Edited by DjPanJan

11 hours ago, DjPanJan said:

Its notmal V10F is 35km/h EUC on 70-80% battery you experience 28-30km/h Nothing is broken is just normal no stress.

Many riders forgot what is real 960Wh performance this EUC maybee you firmware is set to more conservative in newer batch.

In eucworld you can "hack" v10f to 45km/h this mean more agresive (faster) aceleration curve but you risk faceplant then = NOT RECOMMENDED TO ANYONE!

I remeber after 1000Meters from home my V10F max speed was 36 to 33 km/h when hit safety tiltback.

Again no stress you v10f is fine this euc is not speed demon dont use v10f like that if you want speed/power go to other brand  or model you just outgrow this euc.

This is classic "overload get out" no stress is mosfet protection and reason why i sell v10f too weak for extreme situations.

Gear yourself always!

Thanks for sharing your experience with your V10F.

I think this issue is not normal though. With the tests I ran using a fully charged and balanced battery, the early tilt-back only happens when in "off-road" mode with pedal sensitivity set to 0. If the wheel is configured to "commuter" mode with pedal sensitivity at 100, the early tilt-back does not happen. I am not accelerating very hard in my test either. In general, I would describe my riding style to be a cruiser. I mostly stay in the low 30s km/h when riding.

• Like 1

• TotoroDan changed the title to Help: V10F Early Tilt-back below 30 km/h
23 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Very interesting... I would love to see how it changes in commuter mode!

Did a couple tests in commuter mode today. I found that at 10 pedal sensitivity, I could only reach 38 km/h before the tilt-back. At 30, I was reaching 40 km/h.

It seems that pedal sensitivity is affecting the max speed, at least for my V10F 

I wonder if it's the same for others. At least now that I understand the weird and undocumented behavior, I feel more comfortable now.

I've also reached out to another retailer with communication channels to Inmotion to see if I can get confirmation.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

In case anyone happens upon this thread in the future, I have finally resolved this situation with the help of a local retailer. They used their business channels with Inmotion to inquire about my observations and were able to confirm that the Inmotion engineers have programmed the wheels this way.

Purely my speculation from here but I think it's reasonable to assume that this is a sort of safety feature to help avoid cut-outs. Anyways, I don't know if this applies to all Inmotion wheels but I can confirm this with my V10F.

• Like 2

• TotoroDan changed the title to Help: V10F Early Tilt-back below 30 km/h [Resolved]
On 8/23/2021 at 3:12 AM, TotoroDan said:

Update: I was able to confirm with the help of a local retailer using their business channels with Inmotion that this is programmed behavior. The lower the pedal sensitivity, the lower the max speed. The extent the max speed is lowered will vary between "commuter" and "off-road" mode.

---

Tldr: Do you experience an early tilt-back below 30 km/h on a full battery when your V10F is set to off-road mode with pedal sensitivity at 0?

---

Hello,

Being hopeful, I figured perhaps the battery cells didn't discharge evenly because I didn't wait for balancing to finish when I charged the night prior.  Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case because I made sure to balance the battery pack last night and I still encountered the issue today.

I took the V10F for a ride and some tests today and found the early tilt-back was still occurring. However, I discovered that if I use "Commute" mode, it seems to be okay and I only get the tilt-back when I hit or am nearing 40 km/h as expected (and as configured). I switched it back to "Off-road" mode and the early tilt-back at high 20s km/h presents itself. These tests were done on a flat road.

I've tried:

• Diagnostics, everything is okay. Tried it multiple times, pre-charge and after fully charged and with different configurations set.
  • Reset Configuration through the Inmotion app which actually didn't seem to work...
  • Different pedal sensitivities in either mode. It felt like 100% triggered the early tilt-back issue at slightly lower speeds but I'm not really sure (I didn't want to be staring at my phone to check the speed while riding). It might have no effect whatsoever.
  • Made sure the limit is set to 40 km/h using the Inmotion app (and not anything lower); EUC World reports the same number.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be happening here? It's kind of strange that this is only occurring in one of the modes.

I thought of taking apart my wheel to see if anything is loose but I don't know if that would void the warranty.  I'm thinking of contacting my seller to see if they can help instead. At this point, it makes me feel uncomfortable to ride the EUC because of this unexpected behaviour. 

I'm pretty sure this behaviour is not normal but if you also have a V10F and can run some tests to confirm, I would be very grateful. I am pretty sure I have ridden my EUC in "Off-road" mode without hitting an early tilt-back but I feel my memory is hazy now.

Sorry for the wall of text, cheers everyone!

Hello really small question on this is 100% sensitivity on the V10F pedals actually the least sensitive or the most? In my mind it would be the most but now im not sure ahah

Edited by EUCandME

16 hours ago, EUCandME said:

Hello really small question on this is 100% sensitivity on the V10F pedals actually the least sensitive or the most? In my mind it would be the most but now im not sure ahah

“Sensitivity” is a bit of a misleading word in EUCs. 100% sensitivity is actually the most sensitive in doing what the EUC aims to do, which is to keep the wheel upright. Accelerating with self-balancing technology is a byproduct, and while a wheel that tries to cancel your lean ASAP is technologically the most sensitive in reacting to input, it is not very sensitive to accelerate, and hence requires more effort to do so.

But you should maybe forget about the word “sensitivity“, and use a setting that makes the wheel feel the most fluent and comfortable with your personal riding style. And since you are still developing your style, maybe revisit the setting a few times a year or so.

Edited by mrelwood

On 9/22/2021 at 12:41 AM, EUCandME said:

Hey there, the sensitivity setting is definitely confusing and as you mentioned, seems to be the opposite of what we expect.

As mrelwood says, we have to drop our notions of this setting and just explain it via the differences we experience as the setting is adjusted.

From my experience, a lower "sensitivity" will make the wheel more responsive to your input. This is most noticeable when mounting on a relatively steep hill. You can test this out yourself by setting the "sensitivity" to extremes (0 or 100).

Another scenario I've found that feels heavily affected by the "sensitivity" is going over speed bumps or bumps. With a high "sensitivity", it's very comfortable. But with a low "sensitivity", I feel the bumps way more and I can feel my ankles hurt a bit since the changes in pedal rotation from the bump is forced to be absorbed by my ankles instead of the wheel. I imagine this could also be a result of the pedal tilt I had configured.

Just note that your max speed will be affected (not really an issue with commuter mode but very noticeable in off-road mode).

• Like 2

Maybe instead of “sensitivity” it could help understand the setting if it was thought of as “balancing power”? Technically less correct, but could be easier for non-tech-minded riders.

14 hours ago, TotoroDan said:

From my experience, a lower "sensitivity" will make the wheel more responsive to your input.

In that scale, turning the wheel off would result in an infinite responsiveness. That’s not how I wrap my head around the riding modes, to me it’s the opposite.

Since calling the riding modes soft, medium and hard are familiar to most riders, on the Inmotion sensitivity scale 0-50% is soft, 50-80% is medium, and 80-100% is hard.

Edited by mrelwood

14 hours ago, TotoroDan said:

Hey there, the sensitivity setting is definitely confusing and as you mentioned, seems to be the opposite of what we expect.

As mrelwood says, we have to drop our notions of this setting and just explain it via the differences we experience as the setting is adjusted.

From my experience, a lower "sensitivity" will make the wheel more responsive to your input. This is most noticeable when mounting on a relatively steep hill. You can test this out yourself by setting the "sensitivity" to extremes (0 or 100).

Another scenario I've found that feels heavily affected by the "sensitivity" is going over speed bumps or bumps. With a high "sensitivity", it's very comfortable. But with a low "sensitivity", I feel the bumps way more and I can feel my ankles hurt a bit since the changes in pedal rotation from the bump is forced to be absorbed by my ankles instead of the wheel. I imagine this could also be a result of the pedal tilt I had configured.

Just note that your max speed will be affected (not really an issue with commuter mode but very noticeable in off-road mode).

2 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Maybe instead of “sensitivity” it could help understand the setting if it was thought of as “balancing power”? Technically less correct, but could be easier for non-tech-minded riders.

In that scale, turning the wheel off would result in an infinite responsiveness. That’s not how I wrap my head around the riding modes, to me it’s the opposite.

Since calling the riding modes soft, medium and hard are familiar to most riders, on the Inmotion sensitivity scale 0-50% is soft, 50-80% is medium, and 80-100% is hard.

Thank you for the replies both that helped. :). 

• Like 1

Couple more questions on this does pedal tilt also affect top speed? Also, How does commuter and off-road vary? Is there any changes to top speed or additional power draw? (apart from gradual speed increase. I guess im looking for a in depth technical answer). I Honestly hate how everything is so undocumented but the wheel is amazing so can't complain that much :)

@mrelwoodseems to be the expert on this. 

Edited by EUCandME
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, EUCandME said:

Couple more questions on this does pedal tilt also affect top speed? Also, How does commuter and off-road vary? Is there any changes to top speed or additional power draw? (apart from gradual speed increase. I guess im looking for a in depth technical answer). I Honestly hate how everything is so undocumented but the wheel is amazing so can't complain that much :).

I have never owned a V10F, so I don’t have specific in-depth experience on that one. But the software and firmware are nearly identical to that of the V11, which I’m quite deeply familiar with.

The firmware can of course be programmed to do all kinds of weird stuff, such as the variable speed limiting of this very topic. But in general, I haven’t noticed or heard the fixed pedal tilt adjustment affecting the top speed in any way.

Seems that the Commuter and Off-road modes have different top speed limits in the V10F, that depend on the Pedal Sensitivity adjustment. I kind of get why they did it, although I’m not sure if this was the best solution. Riding into a big bump at 40km/h requires an instant forward-backward balance correction from the wheel, or the rider’s balance could get too unstable before the wheel would properly even react. Commuter 0% is extremely unstable on the V12, it is simply so soft. Think KS in 2017 soft. Yes, really.

The off-road mode on the V11 and V12 has a very steep in/out power curve after the initial horizontal center dead zone. I’d expect the V10F to behave roughly the same. Therefore the danger I mentioned above is only really present in the Commuter mode (and low pedal Sensitivity).

The riding mode settings do affect the power draw, so that max pedal Sensitivity may have up to 10% shorteryy range than the lowest one. How the Commuter and Off-road compare in this regard is getting to a level of detail that is probably pointless to speculate on. The off-road mode would probably have slightly higher power peaks in some specific riding situations though.

I would also much prefer these kinds of specifics to be documented clearly by the manufacturer. But I also do understand the amount of additional work it would require for each FW version. Besides, some manufacturers don’t even ship an initial user manual with their wheels. Then again, there’s this magnificent online discussion forum where all secrets are revealed in clear English! :lol:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

I have never owned a V10F, so I don’t have specific in-depth experience on that one. But the software and firmware are nearly identical to that of the V11, which I’m quite deeply familiar with.

The firmware can of course be programmed to do all kinds of weird stuff, such as the variable speed limiting of this very topic. But in general, I haven’t noticed or heard the fixed pedal tilt adjustment affecting the top speed in any way.

Seems that the Commuter and Off-road modes have different top speed limits in the V10F, that depend on the Pedal Sensitivity adjustment. I kind of get why they did it, although I’m not sure if this was the best solution. Riding into a big bump at 40km/h requires an instant forward-backward balance correction from the wheel, or the rider’s balance could get too unstable before the wheel would properly even react. Commuter 0% is extremely unstable on the V12, it is simply so soft. Think KS in 2017 soft. Yes, really.

The off-road mode on the V11 and V12 has a very steep in/out power curve after the initial horizontal center dead zone. I’d expect the V10F to behave roughly the same. Therefore the danger I mentioned above is only really present in the Commuter mode (and low pedal Sensitivity).

The riding mode settings do affect the power draw, so that max pedal Sensitivity may have up to 10% shorteryy range than the lowest one. How the Commuter and Off-road compare in this regard is getting to a level of detail that is probably pointless to speculate on. The off-road mode would probably have slightly higher power peaks in some specific riding situations though.

I would also much prefer these kinds of specifics to be documented clearly by the manufacturer. But I also do understand the amount of additional work it would require for each FW version. Besides, some manufacturers don’t even ship an initial user manual with their wheels. Then again, there’s this magnificent online discussion forum where all secrets are revealed in clear English! :lol:

That was exactly the response I was looking for thank you! The simplest way I describe what I have learnt is:

Commuter = slow and progressive acceleration and braking - may be dangerous at lower sensitivity’s almost swaying, 

Off-road = much more aggressive acceleration and braking and is much stiffer when it comes to default sensitivity. 

I hope this sim sit up correctly. Thanks 

• Like 1

I don't think the sensitivity is that hard to grasp or a wrong expression. 

If you view this as an analog joystick like on a PS4 or Xbox. 

Here you will have a dead center zone to avoid unwanted drifting. The size of that dead zone is the  equaliant of commuter mode (big dead zone) vs. Off-road mode (small dead zone). In the description from Inmotion commuter mode gives more ride comfort (as it is a bit more forgiving to input due to the bigger dead zone).

When we talk sensitivity on a scale from 0 to 100. That is how much input is amplified.  The lower you go the more off balance it allows you to be to the perfect balance point where the wheels cought up with the riders off center (lean forward or backward).

So the more you allow the drift to be from center and with lower sensitivity the more the wheel needs to respond to not loosing balance. Since off road mode should be dead center almost this mean much higher safety margin to be able to cope. That impacts top speed. This is much more important when you have less cells to tap into. That is why we don't see it experienced on V11 Vs V10F or V10 Vs V8.

So back to the joystick. If you have a small dead zone (off-road mode) and have a lower sensitivity it would mean bigger or faster movement. As in compared to a EUC the more sensitive it has for setting to further "preloaded" is the response to maintain status quo balance. 

• Like 2