Sherman BMS failure mitigation: 3D printed side cover support

supercurio

7 hours ago, supercurio said:

While I'm working on it: would you have warnings, advice or suggestions?

I think the idea is sound tbf, good work!

Your inserts would only need to be a couple of mm above the height of the packs I guess, so shouldn't bow out the centre of the panels, I doubt you would even notice.

I think I would still be happier removing the ribs anyway, especially on the left pack (in your pic) as the bms components are towards the edge of the wheel rather than the centre where your inserts provide the most clearance.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, yes good point, it could be combined with reducing the ribs.
Once the clearances are adjusted, these should compensate for the reduce stiffness.
I guess there's a trade-off here between stiffness and depth of the ribs; hard to tell since we don't know for sure if the damage is done by the ribs or by pressure making the whole board flex and break eventually.

I tested the concept with the first print and it looks good, however there are a few dimensions to adjust: time to iterate!

Then I think I'll design a couple extra support points to be installed just above the packs, a location that matches roughly where the top of the pad's throttle and break can hit  harshly in case of a fall.

How it looks for now - printed in transparent PETG. Print settings make them overkill strong.

1.6 low - 1.7 high.jpg

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Once the clearances are adjusted, these should compensate for the reduce stiffness.

Even with all the ribs removed that are likely to hit BMS components, there is no reduction in stiffness to any noticeable degree. I did this on my own Sherman.

46 minutes ago, supercurio said:

hard to tell since we don't know for sure if the damage is done by the ribs or by pressure making the whole board flex and break eventually.

I really don't think that overall pressure on the BMS is the problem, it's just the area where the components are. There really isn't any other area on the board that could get damaged. The board itself is pretty tough (I have worked around GW boards which are virtually identical) and aside from the components they are essentially a large, empty piece of flat, fibreglass board.

Because of that, I think your (very nice) spacers might actually be overkill and may not help anything above and beyond simply taking out the required ribs. The only area left not helped by removing ribs is a small section on one of the packs where the recesses are, moulded into the side panels at the front and rear. These recesses are however flat so will not make a single, localised pressure point on a component like the ribs do. It is this one area that your spacers might help, providing they are tall enough to raise the recess section away from the pack, not easy when the recess is so close to the edge of the panel (and fixings)...

• Like 1

Dont know if it will help but heres a pic showing the areas of ribs I have completely removed. To the best of my knowledge (ie without stripping the packs and taking exact measurements of locations of components) the areas I have removed encompass ALL the components on the BMS's on both packs. As I say, the only small areas left that I am unsure on is the flat recessed sections but I think its pretty safe, as they are lower than any of the ribs were.

5282021133612.thumb.jpg.99181707242508b9169e8e86a3cf4796.jpg

• Like 2

I already had pics of the BMS, thats how I came to my decisions on where to remove ribs.

What I was trying to say is that until I strip the packs myself (or I am provided with exact measurements/locations of the components) I cannot do any more than I have done already, which I am fairly sure encompasses all the components anyway.

• Like 2

Quick update: I have working block prototypes for the left side, with adjusted dimensions and tolerances: promising!

However yesterday I swapped the tire and remembered that... okay yeah: there are wires on the right side :D.
So a few more adjustments will be needed to keep the same blocks on both side, I hope to do that this week-end.

• Like 2

• supercurio changed the title to Sherman BMS failure mitigation: 3D printed side cover support
  • 2 weeks later...

I really wish someone in the UK could print these up and supply. I dont have a printer and trying to get anything printed off in small quantities seems to be really expensive when I last looked. I wonder if theres an EUC'er on the forum who say might be prepared to make full sets, charge whatever they need to cover their time/parts and maybe add a little more on top for Supercurio to make a couple of beers from. I could prob use 4 sets for myself and a few friends.

Even with modded panels, I reckon these are worth having :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, COMMANDOF4 said:

CAN WE BUY THESE YET? COMMANDOF4@GMAIL.COM

You have to find somewhere to print it for you, for instance in Europe there is smartwheels, I'm sure there are similar services closer to you.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My sherman bought on December 2021 turns out already has plastic protruding in the middle, I guess it's mimicking supercurio's 3d design. I wonder which year did you guys bought the sherman? 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, lazybones99 said:

Anyone know if these would be helpful and/or fit on the Sherman Max?

I think some of the problematic ribbing is removed on the max so I’m not sure if it matters.

No need whatsoever on the Max, as you state yourself in your post, there are NO ribs on the side panels of the Sherman Max and Also "standoffs" are built in as well!

• Like 2