What does good euc/pev regulation look like? More productive than "gonna get us banned"

GPW

I think with the evolution of personal transportation, cities should adjust by defining and organising adequate purpose/use of areas and spaces. Providing alternative routes/places/spaces and developing adequate infrastructure for different forms of transportation is always the priority rather than just banning/restricting/limiting. Bans limit people’s freedom (of expression) and, on aggregate in the long term, reduce the performance of the entire society… 😉

I can imagine five environments:

Slow Zones - inside shopping malls, eateries, playgrounds, etc. – prescribed/recommended speed of 5 kph (3 mph). 

Shared Zones – mixed pedestrians and personal transport (may also be shared with slowed cars) with prescribed/recommended speeds of 15 kph (10 mph).

Personal Transport Zones – bikeways, parks, walks, etc. with prescribed/recommended speeds of 25 kph (15 mph) when shared with pedestrians or 45 kph (30 mph) on dedicated bike lines.

Streets – mixed personal transport and cars, trucks (pedestrians prohibited) – road rules and speed limits fully apply, but no minimum speed restrictions.

Highways – only for motorway speed vehicles and personal transportation prohibited.

In regards to the PPE, IMO, helmets and other PPE recommended while using any personal transport that moves faster than say, 25 kph (15 mph).

And, once again totally just my personal thought, say, 50-60 kph+ (30-40 mph+) riders need a motorbike license and then let them make their own choices.

Edited by That Guy
  • Like 3

On 6/13/2021 at 2:24 AM, Rawnei said:

Do we really need to regulate EUC's specifically though?

I see this as more of an un-regulation exercise; to coin a term. As we grow from thousands to millions of riders we will be regulated, or existing regulations will come to be applied. Not because of bad behaviour but because governments regulate everything; it's what they do. Not to ban us, but just to establish norms that allow EUC to coexist peacefully with everyone else.

I see this as exercise to help to establish what reasonable rules could exist without interfering too much with the safe operation of our vehicles.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, winterwheel said:

I see this as more of an un-regulation exercise; to coin a term. As we grow from thousands to millions of riders we will be regulated, or existing regulations will come to be applied. Not because of bad behaviour but because governments regulate everything; it's what they do. Not to ban us, but just to establish norms that allow EUC to coexist peacefully with everyone else.

I see this as exercise to help to establish what reasonable rules could exist without interfering too much with the safe operation of our vehicles.

What I was saying is that regulations for vehicles on different type of roads exists already, to further regulate a specific vehicle is to limit them because they don't believe the persons riding them can abide to existing regulations or that they are not safe enough.

On 6/14/2021 at 10:26 PM, Mike Sacristan said:

I don't... but I thought about it a lot today. And when I fell a few days ago the EXN went rolling for a good 10 meters. It was past midnight with no one around.. but man if it would have hit someone that would have been the end. A 33.5kg wheel though attached to my 64kg body. It would almost qualify as a new Mortal Kombat Fatality.

It just needs to go into a car lane and a driver will react to avoid it, where the car weaver to is the secondary problem.

So one thing is direct damage the second part is ripple effect of indirect damage to property or people.

But these thought only spring to mind when you had a close call for most people.

We should be attempting to regulate behavior, not devices. 
Banning bicycles PEVs skateboards roller skates from pedestrian walkways and divided highways (Expressways, parkways, interstates) 

basically: stay off the sidewalks and give pedestrians right of way. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GothamMike said:

We should be attempting to regulate behavior, not devices. 
Banning bicycles PEVs skateboards roller skates from pedestrian walkways and divided highways (Expressways, parkways, interstates) 

basically: stay off the sidewalks and give pedestrians right of way. 

We have pathways that are shared between pedestrians and bikes here. Motorcycles and automobiles clearly don't belong on those no matter how politely they are driven. The new technical issue is how to define those without excluding electric-assist bikes, real electric bicycles, electric skateboards, eucs and such. The common strategy has been in the past has been to ban everything with a motor, but that's too broad a brush in today's world.