How robust are the "modern wheels" compared to the classic NineBot One series?

NickDubai

How robust are the "modern wheels" compared to the classic NineBot One series? I have ridden my aging NineBot One P through driving/windy monsoon rain in Perth Australia and searing high temperatures in Dubai of 46oC and never had a single cut-out or felt like the wheel would slip away from me. The only issue I had was when I forgot to charge it, once, overnight when I was using it for regular commuting and ran out of power and had to carry it for a couple of KMs... :) I tend to run on the flat with just a few pedestrian bridges, not into jumps and tricks etc. Taped-up when I was learning :):):) Seems a long time ago now, approx 3,000 on it now....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NickDubai said:

How robust are the "modern wheels" compared to the classic NineBot One series? I have ridden my aging NineBot One P through driving/windy monsoon rain in Perth Australia and searing high temperatures in Dubai of 46oC and never had a single cut-out or felt like the wheel would slip away from me. The only issue I had was when I forgot to charge it, once, overnight when I was using it for regular commuting and ran out of power and had to carry it for a couple of KMs... :) I tend to run on the flat with just a few pedestrian bridges, not into jumps and tricks etc. Taped-up when I was learning :):):) Seems a long time ago now, approx 3,000 on it now....

This has been a concern for me as a Ninebot-only owner up til now. Of all the current models, the Nikola seems to be the standout exception, so I'm considering the new version from @Alien Rides for my next wheel.

As for other so-called modern wheels, most (Begode, Inmotion, Kingsong, and even Veteran) seem to be much more susceptible to chassis/case damage, likely due to the significantly heavier weight of newer wheels with large battery packs and motors, and less-robust shells. I think Inmotion's V10 and earlier are high-quality and very durable as are the KS18,16 and 14, but they are not part of the latest generation.

I wish I had a P model in my collection, and am still keeping an eye out for a nice one. 

Edited by litewave
  • Like 2

the ninebot one has a metal frame and double side covers, is has no rival if you want to misuse it, if you only care about dropping it once or twice, the s18 is better designed, it allows for some elastic deformation and protects the internals well. 

I tend to treat modern wheels like any form of transportation. If I dropped motorcycle, or even a vespa at 25 to 45 mph I'd expect some damage. Most modern wheels are perfectly fine in tip overs at running off speeds getting only minor scuffs, but normal cruising speed crashes will result in broken panels, however many times the wheel can still be ridden home or back to the car. 

I feel for the performance on tap the durability is pretty darn good. 

Covers and bumpers go a long way in protecting the shells, and a little luck in how the wheel falls and what stops on goes a long way too. 

Barring any equipment failure, dropping a wheel while riding withing ones limits is very rare. I seem drop my wheel these days trying to make my 19mo old son laugh at me for doing something stupid :rolleyes:

Inmotion and Kingsong are the two best wheel manufacturers (in that order) by far and they are the only companies you have to choose from if you want another wheel based on quality. Given the design, construction and quality of Gotway/Begode, they aren't a consideration. Sherman might become a consideration at some point but I would not hold my breath waiting for it.

Thanks for your answers. I think that InMotion also seems to be the only manufacturer that makes any attempt at an Ingress Protection rating for it wheels which is usually IP55 i.e. dust and water jet...

• Like 1