Cool riding

I finally picked out a KS 16x as my first EUC.  I must admit the major shoulder injury of Black Cobra, and wheels bursting into flames very nearly deterred my pursuit of this new hobby.  I will plan to learn to ride on grass until I gain some confidence and skills.  When I progress to paved surfaces, especially as a beginner, it seems like money well spent if protective gear could help reduce the chances of serious injury.  Getting all geared up in cool weather seems like no big deal, but getting all geared up in the hot humid south in the summer sounds really uncomfortable.  What gear combinations would provide reasonable air flow and cooling without overheating a rider?

My understanding is a helmet, wrist guards, and knee pads are kind of the bare minimum, but shoulder impacts seem like a significant weak point in protective gear.  Do mesh motorcycle jackets with shoulder and elbow pads manage to keep those pads in place in a fall?  Since these jackets are designed for motorcyclist protection are the back pads recommended for EUC riding? 

Since my choice of wheel does not exceed 30 mph what helmet options would allow for the best airflow.  And while we are discussing helmets do those massive visors on off road motorcycle helmets serve any purpose when riding an EUC?  

I would like to ride reasonably safe, but would prefer to avoid the storm trooper look after gearing up.  Were is the proper balance especially during the sauna weather here in the southeast.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CarlW said:

My understanding is a helmet, wrist guards, and knee pads are kind of the bare minimum, but shoulder impacts seem like a significant weak point in protective gear.  Do mesh motorcycle jackets with shoulder and elbow pads manage to keep those pads in place in a fall?  Since these jackets are designed for motorcyclist protection are the back pads recommended for EUC riding? 

Since my choice of wheel does not exceed 30 mph what helmet options would allow for the best airflow.  And while we are discussing helmets do those massive visors on off road motorcycle helmets serve any purpose when riding an EUC?  

Before I take dive into this, let me preface my comments on...it depends. Protection depends on the fall, the speed of fall, the angle of impact, the material impacted, type/quality of protection & last but not least, fit of protection. As a lifelong motorcyclist, I would say mesh jackets work well & for best protection, I would recco a snug fit.

As for cooling, it works so long as there's airflow. Meaning if you're not moving, there's not a whole lotta difference if its mesh or solid. Best would be no jacket with only on skin pads. However besides the incl pads, another prime benefit to wearing a bike jacket is the anti abrasion protection. While there's not much sliding in EUC wipes, we all know it doesn't take much to break the skin either so every ounce of extra "skin" helps large.

Personally I would say a back protector isn't as compelling for EUCs as its in motorcycling. That said, it depends. If one was to hit something hard with an edge or sharp on the back, then ya, its critical.

Far's helmet goes, best for cooling & comfort would be the 1/2 shell cycling stuff. Next up would be the MTB downhill FF. The next big upwards category would be the MX & motorcyling lids. The opposite's general true in reverse for protection. Some will be cooler & more comfy while others may not depending on make, model & design. Visors are always good against wind & UFOs esp since they can be flipped up/down as needed. Some lids have flip down 1/2 sunvisors as well.

IMO ofcos. As usual YMMV

• Like 1

WHen I decide to gear up for summer rides, I like my Olympia Dallas Jacket and mesh pants. Mesh is MUCH cooler than solid fabric when rolling... period. Of course, its mesh, so its also not going to handle much for slides. I also wear a full on  Aerostich MC suit every now and then. It is NOT mesh and its quite warm and restricting. I have knees/elbows/shoulders/back in both my outifts. My MC suit also has hips and chest. Im a d30 fan as its comfortable as well. 99% of my rides are in blue jeans and a ShanesPlanet t-shirt. I do own multiple helmets. The one most suited for euc seems to be my Bell DH helmet. My full race bike helmets are a bit bulky and meant for wind tunnel speeds. I wear shades on my Helmets. MY DH needs no shield (gets hot) and I elected to remove the visor as I dont worry for low branches much. Typically I use a baseball cap or my Aussie hat. There's credibility in visibility, tho I am more a shadow stalker:ph34r:. You either want to be seen so you dont get hit, or you want to be unseen so you don't get hit. Fwiw, effectiveness of pads are mitigated if they move or dont fit. Im used to wearing baggy clothing, but for gear it needs to be metrosexual tight. :wacko: I have a set of scott grenade evo zip knee pads that are simply the most comfy pads that say put. Of course, I dont wear them, but I DO have them. I also have 3 or 4 other sets that arent worth the packaging they arrived in, as they dont stay put or are extremely uncomfortable. Theres so much toy plastic junk gear out nowadays its simply rediculous. But hell, at LEAST the kiddos THINK its good stuff and THINK looking like a war soldier is cool. Someday EVERYONE will realize that cheap shit is just cheap shit.....someday. If you invest in good d30 padding, it can outlast the jacket/pants you put them in. A lot of gear comes with crap ass padding, so you may need upgrade seperately for better inserts. I tried a d30 knockoff (micromesh maybe?), it got returned.

standing.jpgaerosherm.jpg

For a brand newbie, I suspect that wrist guards could help. I use flexmeters but they are warm. I've learned from days of skateboarding that falling at NO speed is especially hard on the wrists, as you try to catch yourself. Falling at speed tends to be a more glancing blow. I didnt pad up my ankles or shins. SOME people fear for those as a newbie. I would suggest buying a couple ace bandages to wrap your ankles at pedal height, if you are so inclined. YOu can quit using them once you figure it out, and theyll be handy, should you sprain something in the future. As always, a RollNZ cover will protect the wheel and pad your inner legs a tiny bit.  Again, for 99% of my summer liesure rides, I hop on in whatever Im wearing as my daily. I mean shit, I didnt gear up when I hopped on my bicycle either. Each of us gets to weigh our own fears and decide the level of risk.  Bare minimum of safety gear is whatever is legally required so you dont get indecent exposure tickets. Shoes or flip flops are suggested but entirely optional. I also spent my first 2 days in grass. I quickly learned (in grass) that you can't run out a bail as easily as you suspect. I havent had the pleasure of skipping across asphalt yet tho.

fwiw, the KS wheels top out at 27mph(31mph stated is WAY inflated), tho you may want to lower the 16x by a mile or two. I've been told that something about the rpms and efficiency at top speed of the 16X, has proven a little troublesome for some in the past.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

I just returned from a week in FL where it’s was warm but not hot—mid to upper 80s with pretty high humidity. I used my Bell Super DH (visor removed), elbow and knee guards by ProTek over tee shirt and shorts and was comfy.

key: I didn’t fall off and was super careful because I didn’t have my normal moto pants and mesh jacket with hip, tailbone, shoulder and back pads (all level 2). I’m old, and at my age what gets broke, stays broke (stole that from @Paulo Mesquita) so I am Uber cautious.

I haven’t had the chance to ride with the moto gear when it’s truly hot out, but plan to sub out the moto pants for shorts, Leatt dual axis and the Demon hip belt under shorts for summer trails. I’ll stick with the mesh moto until I can’t stand it, but will be more tame when I don’t have the shoulder and hip pads.

I have landed hard on my shoulders a couple of times in the moto jacket and it definitely turned “that would hurt a lot” into “meh”, but haven’t crashed like TBC. He may just have been very unlucky, he certainly had gear on.

I did add a spine protector to my moto jacket but don’t know for sure it’s needed. Except as I learn to go backwards…

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CarlW said:

Do mesh motorcycle jackets with shoulder and elbow pads manage to keep those pads in place in a fall?  Since these jackets are designed for motorcyclist protection are the back pads recommended for EUC riding?

They pads are supposed to stay in place if the jacket fits right. I'm hesitant to recommend against padding but EUC back injuries seem to be rare to non-existent.

6 hours ago, CarlW said:

Many full face mountain bike helmets have good airflow. The Fox Proframe is supposed to be one of the more airflow-y ones. (Pretty sure I've seen Kuji wearing that one in hot weather videos.) I've also heard nice things about the POC skateboard-style helmet with chin protector.

My understanding is that the visors are meant to knock away branches, like you might encounter on a mountain trail. The visors can cause problems in a crash, so removing it may actually increase safety.

6 hours ago, CarlW said:

I would like to ride reasonably safe, but would prefer to avoid the storm trooper look after gearing up.  Were is the proper balance especially during the sauna weather here in the southeast.

Motorcycle gear tends to downplay the stormtrooper look, so that's an option. Aside from mesh jackets, there's also gear and clothing designed for hot weather. Cooling vests, hydrophobic fabrics, etc. I recently got some lightweight hydrophobic (technically not true) hiking socks from Darn Tough for some hot motorcycle shoes, and they really do make a difference. Feel really nice too.

Edited by Skeptikos
not really hydrophobic
  • Like 1

Another way to stay cool, I recommend riding at 5AM or around sunrise, easiest way to stay cool, beautiful skies, few bugs out and its quieter, trails are emptier, animals are out to see and you don't have many people in your way, offroad or on road.  The hot gear isn't so hot at that time of day.  LOL.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tawpie said:

I just returned from a week in FL where it’s was warm but not hot—mid to upper 80s with pretty high humidity. I used my Bell Super DH (visor removed), elbow and knee guards by ProTek over tee shirt and shorts and was comfy.

key: I didn’t fall off and was super careful because I didn’t have my normal moto pants and mesh jacket with hip, tailbone, shoulder and back pads (all level 2). I’m old, and at my age what gets broke, stays broke (stole that from @Paulo Mesquita) so I am Uber cautious.

I haven’t had the chance to ride with the moto gear when it’s truly hot out, but plan to sub out the moto pants for shorts, Leatt dual axis and the Demon hip belt under shorts for summer trails. I’ll stick with the mesh moto until I can’t stand it, but will be more tame when I don’t have the shoulder and hip pads.

I have landed hard on my shoulders a couple of times in the moto jacket and it definitely turned “that would hurt a lot” into “meh”, but haven’t crashed like TBC. He may just have been very unlucky, he certainly had gear on.

I did add a spine protector to my moto jacket but don’t know for sure it’s needed. Except as I learn to go backwards…

HI guys, I've been under the radar for a bit... But I'm still reading your posts. As for the hot season I got a vest that goes under the t-shirts, Tha has shoulder pads and spine protection and seems to work quite decently. It's the seamless BLUEGRASS B&S D3O vest. 

https://www.met-helmets.com/en/shop/gravity/bluegrass-protections/seamless-bs-d3o/

It's much cooler than the Demon full vest I have for cooler weather. The only snag... you need Houdini skills to take it off 😂😂😂😂😂

Edited by Paulo Mesquita
  • Like 1

if you havent tried yet. Buy some quality mositure wicking motocross style socks. I can't recall the brand I bought, but I was simply AMAZED at how much cooler they feel in riding boots. They tend to run on the thinner side. They dry in a flash too!

*certain helmet visors increase wind noise.

@Paulo Mesquita I wondered where you been hidin'..:ph34r:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

if you havent tried yet. Buy some quality mositure wicking motocross style socks. I can't recall the brand I bought, but I was simply AMAZED at how much cooler they feel in riding boots. They tend to run on the thinner side. They dry in a flash too!

*certain helmet visors increase wind noise.

@Paulo Mesquita I wondered where you been hidin'..:ph34r:

@ShanesPlanetI'll write a small report soon 😊

• Like 1