reasoning behind the suspension brick on the S18.

enaon

1 hour ago, EUC Forest said:

Tried to open the air can on the 36RC, just can't bare handed...also I didn't find any replacement o'rings etc for the DNM shocks if needed.

Most air cans will need a wrench to open the first time. After rebuilding I do them up hand tight and then never have a problem opening them again. But yeah, getting a service kit may be tricky. I guess it's just a case of buying another given the price they are. That said they might even be the same size seals as Fox/Rockshox. Not sure, never opened up a DNM.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 10:23 PM, EUC Forest said:

Tried to open the air can on the 36RC, just can't bare handed...also I didn't find any replacement o'rings etc for the DNM shocks if needed.

One of the leading local bicycle workshops advised me to buy a 8€ set of ~400 O-rings of various sizes from a local hardware store. Available in metric and imperial sizes, I bought both. May take a little trial and error to find the best fitting O-rings, but so far they have served well in my V11 shocks.

• 2 weeks later...

I installed the 38RC (btw DNM says in their manuals for 36RC etc not to service yourself because of the nitrogen gas they use, blah blah blah, and anyway nothing is recommended before 5000km where you are advised to just clean the bushings.)

I set it to 220psi (with block of course) which seems pretty high for this shock on the S18 (max at 275psi according to DNM, no "official" KS settings I think, I have emailed them). Having one less chamber to pump is a (slight) benefit. Sag was OK (20%, I weigh maybe 85kgs "winter geared"), riding experience was pretty good, I'd say better than with the 36RC (but my 36RC had some issues in the end, it just didn't hold enough pressure so the blue ring was always found at the bottom.)

PS: be very careful when removing the screws of the axle that holds the shock because they are quite tight and the metal is very soft (I completely stripped two screws, had to use an extractor, the axle is hard to replace...)

• Like 1