Better quality charging port cover

Gimlet

Banggood always have some nice stuff but so far for my first order with them it has almost reached the 25 working day delivery limit and nothing yet.  I'm sure they are a good company but the delivery service they use are letting them down badly and will consider really hard in ordering from them in the future.

Banggood always have some nice stuff but so far for my first order with them it has almost reached the 25 working day delivery limit and nothing yet.  I'm sure they are a good company but the delivery service they use are letting them down badly and will consider really hard in ordering from them in the future.

So basically what you're saying is if you're going to Christmas shop with them you better order now to hopefully get it before Christmas?  :P I hear ya though, they do take forever. I order a EU stand and it took a little more than 3 weeks to arrive. I almost forgot about it. lol

• 9 months later...

Resurrecting a really old thread here but just thought I'd post this incase it comes in handy for anyone.

Just reviewed this on Bangood:

I purchased one of these charger port cap looks and cool but be really careful as it can damage your EUC and potentially injure you. When putting my charger cap on yesterday the key chain connected to the cap fell inside the charging port hole, creating a short between all the prongs, basically caught on fire, destroyed the charging port and left a nasty burn on my carpet. Fortunately I happened to be wearing gloves so I wasn't hurt myself but could have been (i dropped the cap the second it set on fire). So anyway yea it looks cool but it is dangerous, I guess the reason the original charger port was rubber was to avoid anything like this happening.

At the bare minimum I destroyed my charger port, I've ordered a new one but  have to wait 2 weeks before it arrives (couldn't find any spares wit any UK suppliers) and to install it, I've also possibly damaged my battery but wouldn't know how to confirm this ?

I don't know about your ports but mine are narrow enough and the pins deep enough inside that the cap can't make contact so as long as you replace the silly little chain with a short length of nylon cord or fishing line then they are perfectly safe.

18 hours ago, dmethvin said:

@andrewk What model of EUC do you have? I thought the charging port wires had protection on them to prevent short circuits, but I haven't tested it.

If it damaged the port, also check the wires carefully to be sure they didn't melt the insulation. 

Could be wrong, but if there's only a protection diode in the charging side, all it does is prevent the current from running in "wrong" direction (reversed polarity). If the pins are shorted together, the current should still happily run in "correct" direction. AFAIK, the only "actual" protection in the charge side for overvoltage, at least usually... But probably someone else knows better.

edit: removed offtopic

As @andrewk mentioned that one should be extremely careful Not to short circuit the charge port when putting these metal cap.
I once lent my GW MCM2 to one of my friends with a metal cap on the charger port extension adaptor, he ended up burned it(and his finger, not serious). Since then I've replaced all the metal caps back to plastic ones.

@Gimlet even if I had the foresight to replace the key chain with some fishing wire I still think it's dangerous. Technically the cap turned  on its side could make contact with the prongs IMO. Personally I think they are dangerous, especially as most people wouldn't even think research the potential dangers of a charging cap before ordering it. With all the bad press related to hoverboards and fires I think it's best to avoid any potential fire risk and avoid this cap at all costs for your EUC. 

@dmethvin I've got a generic EUC, air wheel clone type, got it about a year ago from aliexpress. 

@zlymex ouch! Was the battery and everything else okay? Thanks for weighing in and sharing too. Probably a waste of time but I've contacted bang good customer services trying to explain the potential danger of this cap and for it to be removed or the description to include a safety warning type note. 

In the end I found  a UK supplier selling the part, listed as a scooter charger port but looked the same so took a punt. it arrived today and I've just finished installing it and left my battery recharging woo.

Was tedious getting the existing charger port out and melting the hot glue holding it in place, but got there in the end.  installed the new port, soldered the necessary cables etc  re applied hot glue and looks good. The replacement port came with an rubber cap like the original (mine fell of ages ago) and I've installed the O ring part in the cap inside the shell and hot glued it there. Over kill I know but the only way the cap is being lost now is if the rubber gets torn off or something.

Hopefully it will be good as new now, and the battery wasn't damaged. This repair job wasn't really complicated or anything, more tedious and time consuming. But if anyone did need any help completing a similar repair I'd be happy to share my experiences.

I've included some pictures to demonstrate the potential danger of the metal cap using the old broken port and a new spare charger cap (accidentally purchased 2 originally).

p.s. Out of insane paranoia I've just installed a fire alarm on the unit directly above where I leave my EUC charging. Probs OCD but better to be safe than sorry!! Hah. 

Andrew

IMG_9259.JPG

IMG_9260.JPG

IMG_9261.JPG

1 hour ago, andrewk said:

@Gimlet even if I had the foresight to replace the key chain with some fishing wire I still think it's dangerous. Technically the cap turned  on its side could make contact with the prongs IMO. Personally I think they are dangerous, especially as most people wouldn't even think research the potential dangers of a charging cap before ordering it. With all the bad press related to hoverboards and fires I think it's best to avoid any potential fire risk and avoid this cap at all costs for your EUC. 

@dmethvin

@zlymexIMG_9259.JPGIMG_9260.JPGAs I stated before, the ports on my Gotways are narrow enough and the pins recessed enough that they cannot make contact.

I have a very healthy respect for high power batteries after having seen many years ago an apprentice mechanic friend disconnecting a car battery incorrectly by not first disconnecting the earth.

The ring he was wearing completed the circuit between the battery post, spanner and car bodywork. The ring nearly burnt his finger off and left him with a very nasty permanent scar.

That sounds awful, hope he's alright. 

On your more narrow port could the keychain still slip in and cause the same problem?

I know you said you've replaced the key chain with fishing wire so your safe but could it  happen to someone else ? 

• 1 year later...

Re-opening this topic as my charging port cover disappeared last night on a ride and I'm not at all keen on leaving the terminals exposed.

I reckon this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/sourcingmap-Waterproof-Resistant-Aviation-Connector/dp/B01MR93O1A/ref=sr_1_3?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1500365816&sr=1-3&keywords=GX16+cover might be a better bet than the one discussed above, it is a metal cover but with a rubber retaining strap which should prevent the possibility of the chain shorting and it looks like it would also stop the metal cap twisting enough to possibly short the terminals as well. 

I've ordered one, in a month or so's time (groan) when it appears I'll let people know how it works.

IMG_0311.JPG.5bf866cb30eb6730663c7ba6ae961c3a.JPG

P.S. If you want to look for a standard EUC charging port cover for sale in your local Amazon, eBay, etc search for "GX16 cover".

Archived