I need help learning

Marcel

It's been a few hours since I received my euc (TG-T3) and my progress has been very minimal. I'm 20 years old, and normally extremely quick at learning new things, and I have read that people get the hang of it in as little as 30 minutes, but for me I can't even go 2 ft without falling off. Mine did not come with training wheels, but did come with the strap to prevent the euc from scratching. For those who already know how to ride it well, are there any groundbreaking tips you can share with me? Also, how is it that people are able to keep one foot on in the beginning of the ride, push off, and then get the second foot on? Mine turns to the left immediately the instant i push off (since my left foot is on already) and it's a failure.

Don't bother spending money on the training wheels as I found them to be of no help at all. I found the strap a little more useful, if at all, to give you a false sense of control and confidence over the euc.

Since you are learning on your own (just as I did), I would suggest that you watch as many YouTube instructional videos as you can find on learning to ride the electric unicycle. To start you off, the following videos should be helpful. Look for the series of solowheel instructions by Inventist Inc, the 60 second shorts by Ninebot UK and if you can tolerate him, Simon Tay's SimonVideo electric unicycle.

First of all, it is very important to learn the proper positioning of the foot resting on the pedal and to get a feel of the euc by moving the euc (while switched on) forwards and backwards slowly in a small arc. Most people will use their stronger foot on the pedal as you need some strength to keep the euc in an A position to mount it.

Next you need to learn how to balance from side to side on your euc. For this, it is helpful as suggested by Roue Libre to use a shopping cart. Alternatively, find a long wall or railing to hold on to as you learn to balance on the euc. Getting a friend to hold on to is very helpful too but it may be tedious and boring for your friend. Concentrate solely on learning to balance rather than trying to ride for long distances. Just like riding a bicycle, learn to maintain your balance for short stretches first. Don't worry, these short stretches will become longer and longer and sooner or later, you will be able to ride the euc. Perseverance is crucial but once you are able to ride the euc, it is both very very rewarding and fun!

Good luck.

Patience and persistence were the keys for me.  A minority of people can get it in 30 minutes.  A few hours is about the point where you should be wondering if you are *ever* going to be able to ride the beast.  If that is where you are, then good news.  That is normal.  

Here is a video of me attempting to ride outdoors for the first time after practicing in my den for a WEEK, just to cheer you up.  It takes time and persistence. I can now ride effortlessly, and so will you soon if you keep at it.  [Be sure to watch the video for what has been described as an "epic fail."]  

OK, that video I showed you is the before picture.  Here is the after picture, after about 10 months (though it won't take you 10 months to master it!)

2 hours ago, Marcel said:

Mine turns to the left immediately the instant i push off (since my left foot is on already) and it's a failure.

Marcel,

Don't be so hard on yourself, it rained for two days after I got mine so all I could do was practice going along my hallway hanging onto the walls with the cat watching (see avatar!) 

All the above have given excellent advice you should follow. I would just add two things: getting going from a standing start needs skill and balance that you don't yet have and May, even if you succeed leave your feet badly placed; use a lamppost, wall, tree, friend's shoulder etc and get both feet comfortable on the rests then practice moving in a straight line. Once you can do this practice turns and fast stops. Then, and only then, is the time to start to learn mounting without support. Note: the foot you have on the wheel first has to be kept level when mounting, if you push the toe or heel down the wheel drives and turns, that is what you are currently experiencing I think.

Secondly, I personally think a strap is a good idea to prevent the wheel running away from you and maybe hitting a parked car or person, however if you try to use it like the reins of a horse to help your balance it makes it harder. Try to keep it loose but make sure it doesn't get tangled in the wheel.

Good luck, it took me a good week to get comfortable doing even gentle turns, now two months later everything except going backwards is possible.

I agree with @citiboi that training wheels are useless as a learning tool at the level you have already attained.  They are not what is needed. @Keith is also providing you with good advice.  It takes time, but it is achievable.  I went through the same period of self-doubt, and I have heard many others go through this stage.  Soon it will be gone. 

I've only learned in the last few weeks and it took me about 4 hour long sessions to get the hang of it. I'd say the following is what helped:

1) Not worrying about falling off/crashing. My 3 weeks old IPS looks battle scared! Padding and helmet stopped me ending up the same.

2) I spent my first 3 sessions just going up and down a long railing to give my body the chance to get a feel for the balance.

3) Learning that balancing was all about turning into the direction in which I was falling (like riding a bike) made a MASSIVE difference to my ability to ride in a straight line. I had previously been trying to balance my weight 

4) Lots of rests while learning so that I wasn't falling off due to being physically exhausted.

5) Starts: I keep my right foot on and check its firmly pressed against the side, and started off by pushing off to get some speed up and then jumping on. I now jump on and lean forward ... still need more practice.

Its hard but well worth it!

an important thing is the position of your feet on the padels. push the wheel between your legs on beginnings, but not to hard. It helped me doing some charly chaplin standings at the begin.

And very important: the foot position in driving direction, how far your toes stand over the padels.

and look at the horizont, helps holding the balace. and when you got the first meters going, be carefull with your armes suddan movements like scratching your nose or grab your glasses will bring you out off balance

I don't believe the 30-Minutes Fairy Tales. Take your time. Yes, it will hurt. Yes, it might look like you make no progress. Keep wheeling. You find out on your own and will succeed 100%  :)  It took me 5 days of one and a half hour practise each day. You might get it faster. 

And please wear protection! 

I showed this young guy how to ride and he was ok in less than half an hour. 15 mins one day and 15 minutes about two weeks later. He is great skateboard rider so he already had strong ankles. Do believe you can ride in a short time. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWWya5zdXrc I have taught many people how to ride and turn around in less than half an hour.

Here is girl riding in very short time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ-nylNB6AU and this was before Milbay improved our training methods.

Milbay Australia do not recommend learning by using the training wheels. Milbay do recommend always wear a helmet.

try practicing 'stepping':

inside of the lower leg (dominant leg, f.ex. right leg) blocked against the EUC tilting the EUC to the 'stepping' side, try to take a step with the weak leg (left leg) while keeping a straight line.

This way you'll be riding 0.5meter each time on one leg, keeping the EUC tilted toward the stepping leg;

When you manage to take a 1m step like this, you'll have more than enough time to put your weak leg on the EUC. The opposite will also work: you'll be able to ride for one meter bearing your weight only on the dominant leg while slowing down, and you'll have more than enough time to put your weak leg on the ground gracefully.

This is the hardest part, riding a straight line is easy once you have enough speed.

be safe

@Marcel  All that everyone is sharing with you will help.  I have found if the person learning to ride has someone walking with him/her it helps.  At first you  will be relying on them a lot.  But slowly you will find your balance and will be using them less and less.   You will know when you find your "click" it took me a couple of weeks with a couple 20 minute tries a day.     My daughter learned in 2 days, a friend of ours learned in a shorter time with a lot more spills.  

All I can say is keep at it.  5 feet runs will turn into 10 feet runs, then somewhere in there you'll find the "click"  I can do things today that feel so simple an natural, but when I started ..... Well they just didn't.    Give it time.  It will become Natural.

@dpong good before/after videos!  Kickass drone work.  Take a look Marcel, he looks like it's as natural as breathing...... after a lot of practice that is.  Keep at it, you will get there too.

I have finally managed to locate this YouTube video which I found methodical and helpful when I was learning to ride my euc. Hopefully, newbies will find it useful as well. The tips in the video are also useful when learning to slow down to a stop without using your hands.

@dpong awesome aerial view video!!

Welcome to EUCs and the site. I have the same euc and I love it. As others have said don't be too hard on yourself. I'm 45 and still learning to ride my T3 that I purchased in August.  I only practiced for about 15 minutes at a time but it took a while to pick it up. For me learning to balance on it was the key.  Now I'm working on the one foot dismount. The strap didn't help me much. If your's came with the foam bumper strips cover your euc with it, it will really help with the dings and scratches. The tape is cheap and can be easily replaced if you need more. 

You will get the hang of it just keep at it.  Practice a little everyday. :)

TWIST the wheel Left and Right for Balance.  LEAN the wheel to Turn.  Try twisting it quite rapidly back and forth a bit and you'll notice it helps to balance.  As you get better, less twisting is needed.

Also, if you are on a TG model, then the Foot Pads are Very Slippery.  After applying Grip Tape to my Pads, it's SO much easier to ride.  It goes where my feet tell it to.

20151125_165826727_iOS.jpg.96e4db23dc81a

You can get the Grip Tape at Auto Parts or Hardware Stores, Skate Shops, and even some WalMarts.

I like what @SuperSport is saying here.  Twist is one way of putting it.  To me, in the very early days, I found that almost fluttering the wheel left and right rapidly would help me keep my balance a little bit.  But twisting left and right to balance, is right on!

Archived