Which is the best knee guard or should I just go for motorcycle pants?

From the accident that I have had last week : 

The knee guards that I currently use are way too short to protect my calf therefore I need a better one.

160248009_2766610980257423_2522695585017

So now I'm on the question of which is the best knee guard you would recommend and do you find it distracting when using it with power-pad? I usually ride with right foot at the back and left foot on the front and it's very important for me to feel my shin contacting with the power pad itself so I can properly know how much weight I should lean into the wheel. With a longer knee guard like the one I've tried the Scoyco K12 It was way too thick that I can not even feel my shin leaning against the power pad and was even more afraid to ride the wheel with them than not wearing one. Would a more expensive knee guard such as the Leatt Dual Axis face the same problem? or Should I just screw it and get the motorcycle pants instead?

• Like 1

I use Leatt Dual Axis most of the time, and there is no problem for me to feel how hard I am pushing against the powerpads. I have a bunch of motorcycle pants and I've tried them on EUCs. The problem I have with them is, as least the ones I have, they are designed to be operated with keens bent pose. The built in knee protection are often out of place when standing. If you are just looking for abrasion protection then they work fine.

• Like 1

Leatt Dual Axis here, and I taken falls with it. It has wide overall protection area, I would recommend it. Very quick to put on and take off. I seen people going for downhill skateboard gear too (thinking they have better crash rating) but they do not offer as wide protection area. With the mentioned protective gear I can place it top of clothes and/or wear during hot weather as it is. Comfy and easy to recommend. Mine works after sliding with em just fine.

I only wish finding as good elbow protection would be the case for me-- still searching elbows.. 

Ugly. Fear of road rash is what steered me to moto pants (and jacket), which I wear 'always' as long as it's not too hot. The pants are built for sitting, but most pants allow you to adjust the height of the pads so at least with mine I feel like the knee protection will be there when I hit pavement. Videos I've seen of crashes you don't make your initial landing in full superman position so as long as the knee pads are in the right place in my typical not-a-zombie stance I feel reasonably good about them still being there when I'm launched. Because the pants are not built with hard plastic on the outside, I'm figuring I'll end up flat on my stomach for the slide so I always zipper them to my jacket to keep from getting pantsed.

But fit is very important... you do want the pads to be on your knees when you fall. Not on the side. Lord only knows where they will actually be in a crash, but 'relatively snug fitting' seems like a good idea.

I also have Leatts, but only intend to wear them when it's too hot for the moto pants, and then will be hyper aware of road rash. If I can't resist the need for speed, I'll probably invest in mesh moto pants for comfort—but for now anyway I'm planning on being more chill if I'm not fully encased.

• Like 2

If you do buy moto pants pay a lot of attention to how the knee pads in the pants are secured to your knees. If you can move them out of position easily they'll be almost worthless in a crash. The harder it is to move them out of position the better. 

• Like 1

Add me as a Leatt recommender as well!

I have a knock off of the Leatt dual axis and they are great.  Broke them in fact on a fall @15-20 mph in hard packed gravel.  Walked away without incident.  I repaired them with epoxy and currently use them as a backup.

I have since purchased some Leatt MTB pads  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HQX4RNY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are great mix of value and performance.  Does not have the nice snapping clasps the axis have but sturdy velcro just as solid feeling. @ 20-30 dollars cheaper that reall axis as well.

• Like 1

Motorcycle pants just for the comfort and ease of use unless it's very hot outside then I use knee pads preferable long ones that protects your shins as well.

Motorcycle clothes all around is just so comfortable and easy to put on, in colder weather I just have my pants, jacket and helmet and good to go and look stylish in the process.

• Like 1

Lazyrolling also make good pants where the knee protections tend to sit higher than mc pants. I have their black jeans and they are very comfy and feel very safe, but they are pricey and you can't remove the pads from the outside, which you can on some cheaper mc pants (Ixon Freddie jeans for instance), which can be very convenient obviously.

• Like 1

Side NoteAny setup that does an excellent job is going to be "expensive," about 1/50th the cost of medical bills. 

So figure whatever you spend (wisely) on gear will probably protect you from an accident costing up to 50x as much.

Somehow people who would worry about a 30MPH motorcycle crash usually don't worry about a 30MPH EUC crash, even though an EUC crash appears to often be more violent/more dangerous. 

Learning how to fall, is equally important as gearing for a fall.

I like the way this dude senses he is losing control and goes into a perfect bail.  Downhill skaters work at our speeds or faster and really mastered the art of bailing.