• 15-20 km/h
    • 20-30 km/h
    • 30-50 km/h
  2. 2. Top Speed before loss of control

• 20-30 km/h
    • 30-40 km/h
    • 40-50 km/h
    • 50-70 km/h

Looking at the highest speeds possible when pushing a jogger stroller with current EUC's on the market.  What is the recommended highest speed, and at what speed does it become uncontrollable?  I think a jogger without an EUC might be able to push at 15-20 km/h, just an estimate.  Please limit comments to speed only, safety would be covered with helmets and car seat toughness of cargo etc, which is outside of the scope of this question.  This would be for carry of equipment or groceries in the stroller and not human cargo of course.

Edited by Griffin

this is absolutely a wretched question. Top speed to push a stroller? Which stroller and what is 'claimed' top speed of it? Another horrid spec to even think about, imho.  With the sherman... 52mph(80kmh). With the Ks18L 27mph.  With my mten 12mph. If i simply jump out of a plane with the stroller I could even hit 100mph!  Yeah, Im in USA and I dont vote in kilometers.  Pushing a stroller would make little to no difference in the top speed capabilites of a wheel. I'm not a parent, so no worries about me entertaining this idea. Of course, loan me your kid for an hour and I'll be more than happy to give it a try. Fwiw, me nor the kid will be wearing a helmet and I expect YOU to pay my bond when Im arrested for child endagerment.:eff04a58a6:  Why not just pull a Red Ryder wagon? Every now and then we would make it down a hill on one at 15mph+. Of course, often it didnt work out.  Just hook a stroller up to a car bumper and floor it... no need to waste space INSIDE the car.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Who knows? But it seems like a reputable manufacturer would test at 'fastest possible running speed' and not bother with the expense of going faster. After that it likely depends. A grocery cart can be uncontrollable at walking speeds if the wheels aren't all just so, I imagine a jogging stroller would be subject to the same wheel requirements. At some point a wheel isn't balanced or aligned well enough for the speed and begins to wobble or pull, and exactly what speed that happens at 'depends'. I would certainly hope you could rely on it to be stable and controllable at a fast run.

I did find something in my research I've not thought about, there are at least a few models that are pull instead of push, which would be more stable at speed since they have 4 wheels instead of the normal 3.  And we can leave children out of this anyway, since I was planning on using the stroller for carry of equipment and or groceries etc not human cargo.

20 minutes ago, Griffin said:

I did find something in my research I've not thought about, there are at least a few models that are pull instead of push, which would be more stable at speed since they have 4 wheels instead of the normal 3.  And we can leave children out of this anyway, since I was planning on using the stroller for carry of equipment and or groceries etc not human cargo.

You may want to look at 'carts/trailers' and not strollers. Make a cart with bicycle tires and a wide stance and it would prove as stable as the rider's ability to ride in such fashion. Pulling is better as your wheel is the steering point. Steering with rear pivot is much more difficult. a 2 wheeled cart to pull, would probably be the most efficient and stable, as your wheel makes the third. Horse drawn 2 wheeled carraiges are known to be fairly stable at speed. Same philosophy. Having only 2 wheels behind you, would enable a safer method of you leaning forward and back, as you wouldnt be fighting to keep a third wheel behind you planted.  YOUR riding angle changes as you pilot a wheel, per its inherent design. As always, you get what you pay for, and CHEAP rarely winds up being a bargain in the end. A lighter cart with less groceries in it, would be less likely to push you around and more likely to stop, before simply running you over.  :)

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/petsafe-happy-ride-blue-dog-bicycle-trailer

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Never tried it personally & while it does seem interesting, I don't have children & I'm definitely not gonna borrow my neighbor's stroller + 6mth old to give a shot.

That said, if I were contemplating this sorta behavior, I'd use the Mten3 as it has the (likely) lowest CG for stability & is also the (likely) easiest & best EUC to go slow for control. Far's highest speed goes, I don't think I'd go over 20kph & more likely stay at a good jogging clip.

While I can't say I'm totally sane, I'm not so far gone as to risk a baby's life & limb just to get my thrills. But that's me. YMMV ofcos

When my kids were in school they got to carry around a 10 lb sack of flour as a baby simulator for a week (yeah, it was truly the dark ages, what can I say)--if you used flour as your crash test dummy, you'd at least get a really nice poof when you found the stability limit.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

Keeping in mind of course, that in a few short years, the kid in the stroller will be pushing YOU in a wheelchair, and you are going to be terrified of going head-over-heels from a pothole, or falling off a foot rest and losing an ankle.

• Like 1

I suggest getting a very large backpack used for camping or traveling if volume is your desire, if weight is an issue and that is the reason you look to a stroller of some kind I would suggest transporting great weight by other means than euc. As if you were to transport heavy goods in a stroller or bike trailer of some kind braking would become dangerous as the momentum of the stroller/bike trailer (at any speed) would be relative to however much weight it carries. So let's say you put 100kg of stuff in a bike trailer and somehow attach it to yourself even at 10km/h upon braking the momentum of the trailer would force the point of attachment into your back causing pain or uncormfort and cause unstable braking. Now imagine going 30 km/h with the same 100kg load. First you brake then a splitsecond after 100kg of goods slam into your back at 30km/h pushing you off the wheel.

Only way to brake with a load carried behind you is slow progressive braking.

I know this because I used to carry this thing behind me at between 10-30 km/h on the euc filled with 70kg of camping equipment when going out to camp in the woods. First I tried attaching it but braking was painful sometimes I even felt I would be pushed off. However I learned that holding both handle bars behind me not only made the metal bar not push into my back but also made braking quicker and safer as it for a lack of words become part of the vehicle by being firmly attached by me holding on to it. Much in the same way it works when attached to a bike. 

1662_604.w610.h610.backdrop.jpg

Edited by xiiijojjo
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, xiiijojjo said:

I suggest getting a very large backpack used for camping or traveling if volume is your desire, if weight is an issue and that is the reason you look to a stroller of some kind I would suggest transporting great weight by other means than euc. As if you were to transport heavy goods in a stroller or bike trailer of some kind braking would become dangerous as the momentum of the stroller/bike trailer (at any speed) would be relative to however much weight it carries. So let's say you put 100kg of stuff in a bike trailer and somehow attach it to yourself even at 10km/h upon braking the momentum of the trailer would force the point of attachment into your back causing pain or uncormfort and cause unstable braking. Now imagine going 30 km/h with the same 100kg load. First you brake then a splitsecond after 100kg of goods slam into your back at 30km/h pushing you off the wheel.

Only way to brake with a load carried behind you is slow progressive braking.

I know this because I used to carry this thing behind me at between 10-30 km/h on the euc filled with 70kg of camping equipment when going out to camp in the woods. First I tried attaching it but braking was painful sometimes I even felt I would be pushed off. However I learned that holding both handle bars behind me not only made the metal bar not push into my back but also made braking quicker and safer as it for a lack of words become part of the vehicle by being firmly attached by me holding on to it. Much in the same way it works when attached to a bike. 

1662_604.w610.h610.backdrop.jpg

I was thinking the same thing. There is already a solution for this and its a backpack or.... a CAR!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

I have a britax b-lively that is kind of in between a full jogging stroller like a bob or a thule and a normal mall stroller. Has slight suspension on the front wheel (that locks too for jogging). 

I do push my kid in it with the wheel, he's 15 months old now and I've been taking him on "stroller car rides" ever since he was 8 months old. 

We normally cruise at 8 to 12 mph. Fastest yes gone was 21mph but only on known smooth parts that were pre inspected prior to a speed run. He loves it, it lets us go way further that I ever could walking.

For groceries I think there must be better options over a stroller though. 

I did see a stroller wagon that holds two kids facing each other. The parents said they use it for shopping. It was a little larger than radio flyer wagon and you could push it like a stroller. It would be epic for a grocery store run! 

• 2 weeks later...

I do this all the time with my little one. Generally speaking i try to limited the speed to whatever i can confidently jump off the wheel to my feet without loosing control of the stroller.

Sometimes go faster but on well known places.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On a related note I hauled home a week's worth of groceries with my EUC a couple of days ago ... by pulling a standard wheelbarrow (with a single wheel) behind me. Dont try it folks, I was seriously, dangerously wobbly, especially on the way back with the loaded wheelbarrow. I have a thousand miles on my V10F under my belt and feel pretty confident but with the wheelbarrow having a mind of its own I felt as wobbly as on my second day of riding.

Edited by mhpr262
  • Like 1