Jump to content

Shinko 244 - My favorite tire


ZenRyder
 Share

Recommended Posts

I've had the Shinko 244 on my 100V MSX for about a year. I also tried the 241 (which is similar to the Kenda 262) and the stock tire. I ride the trails too much to feel comfortable on a street tire and I really wanted a dual sport tire. The Shinko 244 is a bear to cram into the case of an MSX or any other modern version (MSP/RS). But the Sherman accepts it with no modifications at all. It's still not simple to swap out the tire, but it's a lot easier than shaving the tire and the case. 

Here are the upgrades to my Sherman starting with the Shinko. Check out my video and let me know what you think...

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

First I had the Shinko SR244 on my MSP and then quickly switched to the CST-C186 (similar to K262).

The only advantage I could see was the extreme gyro effect and the associated stability already from 20mph. (if you want to see that as an advantage) 

The tire goes through everything and remains perfectly controllable even on the worst roads. 

Who wants stability at any price should prefer the Shinko.

The disadvantages are:

- aggressive carving above 20mph absolutely impossible

- zero agility, spontaneous evasive maneuvers at higher speeds hardly manageable

- very sluggish acceleration from a standing start especially offroad

- driving dynamics like a freight train

- generally worse grip except in sand/dry soil 

- heaviest tire

I was not happy with it. With the CST-C186 it's a Dream Machine. 

Edited by EUC Custom Power-Pads
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I totally disagree with every single disadvantage you listed. I carve way over 20 mph. No problems with agility or acceleration. I agree the tire is slightly heavier, but it has the best grip of any other tire. It goes through anything. I guess a lot of this is subjective, but rode this tire for a year on my MSX and now that it's on my Sherman, I think it can do anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, ZenRyder said:

I totally disagree with every single disadvantage you listed. I carve way over 20 mph. No problems with agility or acceleration. I agree the tire is slightly heavier, but it has the best grip of any other tire. It goes through anything. I guess a lot of this is subjective, but rode this tire for a year on my MSX and now that it's on my Sherman, I think it can do anything.

Would you mind comparing the Shinko to the stock Sherman tire?

I was considering the Shinko because it looked like it would be more carvey, more nimble, and less gyro. Perhaps the 244 rides differently on the MSP than on the Sherman? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jonesq said:

Would you mind comparing the Shinko to the stock Sherman tire, K262?

I was considering the Shinko because it looked like it would be more carvey, more nimble, and less gyro. Perhaps the 244 rides differently on the MSP than on the Sherman? 

I ran the Shinko 241 which looks exactly like the stock Sherman knobby. I thought it was noisier and didn't handle smoothly at slow speeds. I think the round curve of the 244 handles slow speeds better and is still great at carving for high speed. Logically, the heavier weight and larger diameter in theory could make it slower to start or have reduced torque. But I didn't experience that at all. I really like the heavier feel because it feels indestructible. High speed is just not an issue, but maybe I throw my weight around more than some people. At slow speeds you can whip it around and turn on a dime. Sand, bark, tree roots, gravel, grass, mud all kneel at the throne of the almighty 244. (IMHO!)

20200516-091250-1.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, ZenRyder said:

I totally disagree with every single disadvantage you listed. I carve way over 20 mph. No problems with agility or acceleration. I agree the tire is slightly heavier, but it has the best grip of any other tire. It goes through anything. I guess a lot of this is subjective, but rode this tire for a year on my MSX and now that it's on my Sherman, I think it can do anything.

I've seen a few of your offroad videos and if your riding style is mostly the same, then I know why you're happier with the tire.

My riding style is much sportier, much faster and more aggressive. I also don't have a camera in my hand hindering me. 

I think that's why you see the negative sides of the Shinko SR244 as positive.

Your rides are like Sunday trips through the woods with my wife and 6 year old daughter. My dissatisfaction with the Shinko is based on rides that look like I'm fleeing from a pack of wolves always at the MSP HT 80% power alarm . :efee612b4b:

Edited by EUC Custom Power-Pads
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

I've seen a few of your offroad videos and if your riding style is mostly the same, then I know why you're happier with the tire.

My riding style is much sportier, much faster and more aggressive. I also don't have a camera in my hand hindering me. 

I love it!

I haven't seen any videos of you. Oh, yeah, some people are not able to film while riding. I understand. It's a little too difficult for more novice riders.

But hey, if you don't have video, I guess it didn't happen. Because you haven't seen any of my wild rides. You might be a legend in your own mind, but a couch surfing EUC wanna be in reality.

:roflmao:

Jk, hey everyone has their own opinions. Have fun and enjoy it. The reality is that we all love riding the wheel and that's why we like to talk about it and share this stuff. I try to take videos because I'm trying to build the community. There are people who find the sport and get into it after seeing what it can do.

Take care and ride safe...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

I've seen a few of your offroad videos and if your riding style is mostly the same, then I know why you're happier with the tire

This is meant as a question. You don't have to feel attacked right away and become personal.

So you say only EUC riders with a camera are superheroes and all the others who do not want to film are losers? 

 

5 hours ago, ZenRyder said:

... and share this stuff. I try to take videos because I'm trying to build the community.  There are people who find the sport and get into it after seeing what it can do.

Cool, but wouldn't it be smarter to post also your wild and spectacular rides instead of just Sunday excursions with endless talking, so you can really see what an EUC is capable of when one can ride like you?

Anyway, I will subscribe to you to not miss any wild rides while I sit on the sofa and dream of being a hero like you. :efee8319ab:

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

film

Must be a cultural thing, Americans seem to have way more cameras per distance ridden than anyone else. Hearing some of them it’s as if it was part of EUC gear 🤷🏼

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/29/2021 at 8:26 PM, ZenRyder said:

The Shinko 244 is a bear to cram into the case of an MSX or any other modern version (MSP/RS).

My buddy with an MSP is looking a dual-sport options, how much effort was necessary to get it to fit?

Keeping the 244 on my radar for a future Sherman tire swap, for now I'm really enjoying the stock K262.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Must be a cultural thing, Americans seem to have way more cameras per distance ridden than anyone else. Hearing some of them it’s as if it was part of EUC gear 🤷🏼

Not this one. I have installed my small Mobius camera to my helmet for evidence. I've been hit enough times on my regular unicycle by inattentive people. Last year I got an Insta 360R camera for the same purpose. This one will record 360° of evidence. I plan on using it for my electric unicycle as well. Other than that I have a very low desire to film myself riding. In 2014 a local television station interviewed me on my commute and took footage of me riding ( and a faceplant).

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's starting to look like the Shinko 241 and 244 are gonna be the only 2.75-14 options in the US for dual sport tires. I cant find a c186 or k262 anywhere surprisingly. Of course everyone stocks the c186 in Europe but I'd hate to think what shipping would be. I've been looking for a dual sport for my V11 as I absolutely love the K262 on my Sherman. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Steve O said:

It's starting to look like the Shinko 241 and 244 are gonna be the only 2.75-14 options in the US for dual sport tires. I cant find a c186 or k262 anywhere surprisingly. Of course everyone stocks the c186 in Europe but I'd hate to think what shipping would be. I've been looking for a dual sport for my V11 as I absolutely love the K262 on my Sherman. 

To me it seems that the CST C-186 and the Kenda K262 are the one and the same. Many other tires as well are available labeled for several brands.

CST C-186 just doesn’t seem to exist in the US, just like the Kenda K262 doesn’t seem to exist in the EU.

 The Shinko SR241 is a bit different, but I would think that in the grand scheme of things it would be close enough to offer a similar enough of a ride.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, mrelwood said:

To me it seems that the CST C-186 and the Kenda K262 are the one and the same. Many other tires as well are available labeled for several brands.

CST C-186 just doesn’t seem to exist in the US, just like the Kenda K262 doesn’t seem to exist in the EU.

 The Shinko SR241 is a bit different, but I would think that in the grand scheme of things it would be close enough to offer a similar enough of a ride.

Yup I think I'm gonna just go ahead and get the SR241. I'm not a huge fan of the stock 1488 on the V11 but on my Tesla and 16S it's great- probably because its narrower. There is one other tire that Houseofjob showed thru Revzilla but of course it's out of stock.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/29/2021 at 10:26 PM, ZenRyder said:

I've had the Shinko 244 on my 100V MSX for about a year. I also tried the 241 (which is similar to the Kenda 262) and the stock tire. I ride the trails too much to feel comfortable on a street tire and I really wanted a dual sport tire. The Shinko 244 is a bear to cram into the case of an MSX or any other modern version (MSP/RS). But the Sherman accepts it with no modifications at all. It's still not simple to swap out the tire, but it's a lot easier than shaving the tire and the case. 

Here are the upgrades to my Sherman starting with the Shinko. Check out my video and let me know what you think...

 Is the Shinko 87-4763 Tire 244 Series Front/Rear 3.00-21  the tire you put on your Sherman?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Shinko 244 is a death trap.  Here is why. 

I put the 244 on my V11 and it performed very well on every surface.  

The problem was that it picks up debris, dirt, leaves, pinecones, and unfortunately... rocks.  I would always hear the stuff tumbling around inside the wheel.  I thought it was harmless, until...

While riding a local pipeline trail, (basically a gravel road) my wheel seized up and stopped violently.  I was launched.  Shoulder and face took most of the impact.  Was geared up thank jeezus.  In studying the accident scene, it was apparent that the wheel just stopped spinning.  4 foot skid mark, folowed by 2 feet of undisturbed gravel that lead to the very disturbed gravel marking my area of impact. 

I believe the 244 tread picked up a rock that just couldn't make its way through the wheel and it jambed up causing the rim to lock up. 

Has this type of accident happened to anyone else,  with or without shinko 244?

Currently switching to the cst 186.  Install tomorrow and hope for the best...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, UNIbomber said:

Shinko 244 is a death trap.  Here is why.

What a story, I’m sorry you had to live it through. Thank goodness you weren’t harmed!

But… How the duck did you get an SR244 to fit on the V11??? On mine the tire grabbed the shell tightly both on the sidewalls as well as the top even before i put any air in the tire. 2.75-14, right?

 

1 hour ago, UNIbomber said:

Currently switching to the cst 186.  Install tomorrow and hope for the best...

Can be a tight fit when new, but I’ve been running an used one without problems.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I'm also surprised you were able to get it to fit. The V11 wheel well is pretty small as is, and the 244 is still a big tire even with the knobs shaved perfectly. I've never had that issue, but I've installed it on a Sherman and RST which I believe have bigger wheel wells/better spacing. Sorry about the fall though :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...