trying to pick out a second wheel

i really thought it would take me at least a year to hit this point but after 3 months and 500 miles i think i've pretty firmly outgrown my first wheel. i really do love my v8f. it's been a wonderful wheel to learn on and it's a real trooper through all the falls and bad weather i've put it through. however, hitting speed beeps every few minutes and getting range anxiety less than 10 miles from home are starting to become really really bad buzzkills :( 

i've been spending increasingly more time the past few weeks thinking about and researching different wheels but i'm still having a tough time deciding exactly what i want so maybe you guys can help point me in the right direction. wheels i've been looking at the most are the 100v nik+ and the MSP HT (while it's still available) but i'm open to any suggestions.

some potentially important factors:

• weather proofing: this one is probably honestly the MOST important for me personally. my v8f has been my primary commute vehicle the past few months (i don't drive i walked everywhere previously) and i have very little control over PNW weather so the wheels ability to survive a ~2 mile commute to/from work in occasional heavy rain has been a life saver. for a new wheel to take over as my primary commuter i need it to be able to withstand at least some rain and/or be decently easy to take apart and do my own waterproofing. i think for now any hollow bore motor wheels are off the table for me because of this. 
  • lights: visibility is real important. my commute home from work is after midnight so a good headlight and tail light for visibility would be really nice. i currently supplement with a flashlight and a red bike blinker on my backpack but it would be nice to be able to go without them. i can live with or without decorative LEDs though.
  • speed: needs to be able to go at least 30mph reliably. faster would be nice for occasional boosts, headroom for safety, and so i can get to lower battery ranges before it turns into a snail. i can't imagine myself wanting to go faster than 30 frequently but a few months ago i SWORE i'd never ever want to go over 18mph so... :whistling:
  • non-riding maneuverability: i know no advanced wheel is gonna be "light" but i live in a second story apartment with some pretty steep stairs so being able to carry it one handed is a must. need to be able to trolley it around decently well in stores and on transit. i don't need the worlds best for this, a mediocre handle for this is fine. just need somethin usable.
  • terrain: i mostly ride on roads, bike lanes, paved bike paths, and the occasional bad sidewalk. i'd really like to branch out and ride on a bunch of offroad dirt/grass/gravel trails in the dry seasons though. probably fairly casual mild trails (for now)
  • me: i'm a lightweight (130lbs) and not an aggressive rider (i don't hop curbs or anything) but i'm slowly getting bolder as i go. i still drop my wheel occasionally though on a bad mount or when i'm trying new stuff. i'm not super interested in suspension but not against it. my repair/mod experience goes about as far as changing tire pressure and tightening a loose pedal screw. i've never added pads and haven't ever opened my current wheel. so i'm a lil timid about wheels that need a lot of maintenance but i know i'm gonna have to get over that eventually and just learn and do it :unsure: 

i can't actually ride at all for the next month+ due to some recent surgery (mean doctor wont let me lift more than 10lbs for a while and my mean roommate isn't willing to carry my wheel downstairs for me:roflmao:) so i have quite a bit of time to sit and think about this. my first euc was so easy to pick, i know i want an mten as my third, but pickin out this second one is REALLY kickin my butt. if my budget allowed i'd buy a couple high end wheels but my pockets only go so deep. 

any help or advice is appreciated so big thanks in advance.

• Like 3

I've heard good things about the Nik. Gotway is well.... gotway. Any reason youre picking out 2 wheels from the same shitty brand (opinion of course)? Lights are too aasy to velcro or attach to yourself or the wheel, I'd put it further down the list. What YOU can carry is pretty much something yuo would know. As far as I can tell, NONE of the bigger wheels are fun to carry. Its not just the weight, they are odd in the hand. Rain... I think the Nik has gotway on that one too. 30mph puts you out of the runnings for my favorite wheel as it is. Fwiw, you cant have speed and range and headroom and light weight. You're gna have to choose for yourself, which ones to compromise on, over the others.  At 130lbs, its a non issue. I think even those little chinese dudes almost weigh that much. If you dont want to work on your wheel, dont even look at a suspension model. For one, it seems too complex atm for chinese QC build standards. Secondly, it just more screws to worry about and you dont sound like you're into that kinda thing. So many decent choices nowadays. I'd stay away from the largest and smallest models, as those are somewhat purpose built. For a second wheel, sounds like you need something squarely in the middle, a sort of jack of all trades.  Opinions about wheels here are like a**holes. We all have our own and they all stink it a unique way.  Get ready fora  can o' worms, as asking what wheel and even mentioning NYC, typically winds up that way. At least I can tell you this. The mten makes a damn fine 3rd wheel. :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

I'm just writing to say that it's a well written question.  I a V8F last month so your post caught my eye.  I've heard of a lot of people outgrowing their V8F and it may happen to me too.  People also tend to say they have had good experiences with the V8F so it's reassuring that I can rely on it.

I can't commute to anywhere from where I live so I like that I can throw the 30 lb EUC in the trunk and take it places to ride.  That's one of the aspects that kept me from buying a bigger wheel as my first.

• Like 2

good choice of a first wheel, looks like you are looking at the nik+ for now. You can trust it in any weather, lights are not the best tho, has the needed speed, easier to carry and trolley than the msp, and it is easier to ride with your weight. You can also drop it, it won't break.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I've heard good things about the Nik. Gotway is well.... gotway. Any reason youre picking out 2 wheels from the same shitty brand (opinion of course)? Lights are too aasy to velcro or attach to yourself or the wheel, I'd put it further down the list. What YOU can carry is pretty much something yuo would know. As far as I can tell, NONE of the bigger wheels are fun to carry. Its not just the weight, they are odd in the hand. Rain... I think the Nik has gotway on that one too. 30mph puts you out of the runnings for my favorite wheel as it is. Fwiw, you cant have speed and range and headroom and light weight. You're gna have to choose for yourself, which ones to compromise on, over the others.  At 130lbs, its a non issue. I think even those little chinese dudes almost weigh that much. If you dont want to work on your wheel, dont even look at a suspension model. For one, it seems too complex atm for chinese QC build standards. Secondly, it just more screws to worry about and you dont sound like you're into that kinda thing. So many decent choices nowadays. I'd stay away from the largest and smallest models, as those are somewhat purpose built. For a second wheel, sounds like you need something squarely in the middle, a sort of jack of all trades.  Opinions about wheels here are like a**holes. We all have our own and they all stink it a unique way.  Get ready fora  can o' worms, as asking what wheel and even mentioning NYC, typically winds up that way. At least I can tell you this. The mten makes a damn fine 3rd wheel. :)

i know gotways got its issues thats definitely a fair opinion to have. i had the nik+ recommended to me by the dude who accidentally talked me into the sport in the first place and gotways got a variety of fast wheels so thats just the information rabbit hole i've dug into the deepest. to be fair i havent looked into kingsong wheels much at all for some reason. the 18xl might be nice but i kinda worry i might be butting up against speed beeps again in just a few months 

i should maybe clarify about the carrying part that i mean more ergonomics i guess. something heavy with a good handle is sometimes a lot easier to carry than something lighter with a terrible handle. like if the sherman had a nice single center handle that would let me still safely hold onto my stair railing with my other hand i'd be having a hard time talking myself into any other wheel honestly. i can always get stronger but i cant grow a third arm. 

and haha yeah i've been reading around on here enough to know opinions can be pretty strong and varied but just rattling around spec sheets in my brain alone is starting to  reach its helpfulness limit. your posts are definitely partially to blame for me wanting an mten! looks like such a fun lil wheel to play around on that i could stuff in a modded backpack and remove most walking from my life :laughbounce2:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ben S said:

I'm just writing to say that it's a well written question.  I a V8F last month so your post caught my eye.  I've heard of a lot of people outgrowing their V8F and it may happen to me too.  People also tend to say they have had good experiences with the V8F so it's reassuring that I can rely on it.

I can't commute to anywhere from where I live so I like that I can throw the 30 lb EUC in the trunk and take it places to ride.  That's one of the aspects that kept me from buying a bigger wheel as my first.

it really is a solid beginner wheel. you might outgrow it too but bein able to pick up the wheel so easily is definitely real nice. i'll probably still wanna use it for small rides or times i dont feel like lugging around a heavier one. i also know it'll still be put to good use when i can finally convince my friends to give riding a try :) 

1 hour ago, Ádám Szitás said:

good choice of a first wheel, looks like you are looking at the nik+ for now. You can trust it in any weather, lights are not the best tho, has the needed speed, easier to carry and trolley than the msp, and it is easier to ride with your weight. You can also drop it, it won't break.

at the moment im definitely leaning lightly toward the nik+ at the moment thank you for the input! i have heard that shell is built really sturdy. 

The Nikola+ would be great at any speed you'd want to go and is also very waterproof but it weighs 27kg and the handle isn't the best for lifting it up stairs. That's quite a weight for anyone to get up to a 2nd storey flat. The previous version of the 84v Nikola 1600Wh would also do 30mph but weighed 23kg but it still has the same handle. The KS18XL will do 28mph and has a better handle but it does have a better handle and weighs roughly 25kg. The Tesla v3 might be another option but it still weighs about 26kg. The thing is, if you want to go at 30mph then the wheel is going to be a heavy one. The only light weight wheel I can think of that will reach 30mph is the MCM5 v2 which is about 17kg but the battery isn't large and 30mph on a 14" wheel might be "exciting".

Could you swap apartments with the person on the ground floor? Could you see if there's somewhere at ground level you could keep it? You could just trolley the wheel down the stairs but that won't help getting it back up the stairs. 

Hey! If you're looking for a reliable tested and proven (if a little long in the tooth...) wheel to step up to from a V8F, then what about a 1600wh MSX? I've been commuting 8 miles 1-way every work day for the last 2+ years on my MSuper, rain or shine, and I still love it to death! It's right about "in the middle" spec-wise, has a good handle for carrying it up stairs, a perfectly serviceable trolley handle, and at your weight will have around a 32-34mph top speed and a range of 50-ish miles if you keep it at or below 20mph. The original MSX control board had a fantastic reliability record, and it uses Gotway's 84v 800wh battery packs which as far as I know have never had any significant problems (unlike the 100v 900wh time-bombs they sell nowadays)!

It's a great wheel to learn how to do basic maintenance on (if you want to get your toes wet) and can be weather-proofed fairly easily (again, rain or shine for 2+ years without any real worry from me :efee6b18f3:). But best of all, it won't break the bank! I know that @Nevin@Tec-toyz.com still has some brand-new stock he's been trying to move for a while now, and he's selling them significantly cheaper than all of Gotway's newer 100v wheels are selling anywhere else. He's in Northern California so the shipping to Portland should be fast and cheap. If you contact him directly at https://tec-toyz.com/  then I'm sure he can set you up! :thumbup:

y'know the more i'm reading from y'all and the more i'm thinking about it, the more i'm realizing the answer to my stairs problem is: it's going to be a struggle and suck no matter what so i should just suck it up (read: whine and complain a lot but do it anyways) and get a wheel i want. within reason of course. something well over half my body weight like a sherman would absolutely be too much till i'm in a situation where i can move to a ground floor place. it'll give me a good push to start working on my lifting strength and give me more reason to take some out of the way long rides before work so i'm getting more miles per stair lift. 

i'm excited to hear multiple people sayin the nik+ has pretty good weatherproofing. that alone is pushing it from "high on list" to "top of list" honestly. 

On 2/2/2021 at 7:05 AM, mike_bike_kite said:

The only light weight wheel I can think of that will reach 30mph is the MCM5 v2 which is about 17kg but the battery isn't large and 30mph on a 14" wheel might be "exciting".

Being an owner, I can confirm that 30mph (or slightly more) is all thrills. Personally I cruise btwn 20-25mph til the battery hits 50% & I throttle down appropriately. That said, the MCM5v2 is a blast to ride, quick as heck & accelerates like a bat outta hell. The low(ish) weight makes it very nimble for slow speed maneuvers & the 2.5" tires makes it very stable & comfy. I like it a lot & its even displaced the Mten3 for round the hood duties so much so I might even put it out for sale this spring.

As for an allrounder wheel, the Nik+ (or even the 84v) is a darn fine choice but given the option, I think I'd go for the MSX 84v. Its a true workhorse extraordinaire & is proven reliable & durable (sorta if one protects the shell abit). You can ask chooch (choochtech) or even wrongway what their fav lowest cost EUC platform is 😉

• Like 1

Trolley it up the stairs, ride it down! (no, don’t ride it down, bad advice)

I think you’re on the right track though, with your need for speed you’re going to have to figure out a way to hump something heavy up and down those stairs.

I just picked up my V8F in January and I already feel like I'm outgrowing it.  Range anxiety is real!  I really want to get something that's expedition-capable; that means lots of added weight for a thick off-road tire and big battery (unless someone comes out with swappable packs).  MSX seems like the best option right now but I've been so impressed with the V8F overall that I'm waiting to see what Inmotion's V12 brings to the table this summer.

• Like 3