Best wheel/s for food courier ?

Just now, meepmeepmayer said:

Just my intuition, but the V11 seems to be the non-specialty 18 inch wheel nowadays. Suspension and wide tire for comfort, great lights, handle, etc.

A V11 plus a fast charger would be my bet.

Less range tho?

In terms of comfort it's somewhere between 18 xl and S18 ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, P40lite said:

Less range tho?

That's what the charger is for.

I assume with city traffic(?) and frequent stops (red lights etc.), on average you aren't riding as fast as you would if you were just cruising, so the range of the V11 should be good? How much range do you expect to use in a day?

4 minutes ago, P40lite said:

In terms of comfort it's somewhere between 18 xl and S18 ?

I don't know. But a suspension wheel should be more comfortable than one without suspension.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

It's just my intuition, but the V11 seems to be the non-specialty 18 inch wheel nowadays.

Keep in mind the wheels going to get used day in, day out and not babied. The V11 is a great wheel but it looked like a hell of a job to change the tyre plus it seems quite fragile in falls etc. The other issue is it looks like a vehicle so you might have issues taking it inside some places. If you don't have to climb stairs too often then I'd go for either the 16X, the 18XL or the Nikola.

Best bet might be to use your existing V10F and just do part days for a little while to see what it's like doing deliveries on a wheel before spending large amounts of cash. Maybe you could even just buy a spare V10F battery and charge that while riding.

• Like 1

Just now, mike_bike_kite said:

Keep in mind the wheels going to get used day in, day out and not babied. The V11 is a great wheel but it looked like a hell of a job to change the tyre plus it seems quite fragile in falls etc. The other issue is it looks like a vehicle so you might have issues taking it inside some places. If you don't have to climb stairs too often then I'd go for either the 16X, the 18XL or the Nikola.

Best bet might be to use your existing V10F and just do part days for a little while to see what it's like doing deliveries on a wheel before spending large amounts of cash. Maybe you could even just buy a spare V10F battery and charge that while riding.

I don't have any wheel atm :/

Heard 16x has water issues. Unacceptable for delievery in North Europa.

Focusing on battery, carry-ability and trolley-ability:

• Assuming Sherman/Monster/EX.N are simply out of the question due to their carrying weight (basically necessitating two hands). Particularly when you'll be riding to a new unknown place every time and will inevitably face all manner of curbs/steps/weird entryways/etc.
  • That leaves the 2100Wh 84v Nikola as the next largest-battery option, but which has a terrible carrying handle and scorpion trolley handle (fine for trolleying but doesn't 'prop' well). This would potentially be a decent option for some people though depending on your size/weight/size of hands/etc, prioritizing battery.
  • Skipping the RS due to major problems right now, the next options down the line are either the MSP (previous version of RS) which has a fine carrying handle but bad trolley handle, or 18XL or 16X which are great for both carrying or trolleying. Out of these I'd still lean 18XL or 16X for this context especially (again, heavy priority on both carry & trolley handles).
  • The V11 would be the next step down in range, but offers the highest ride quality of the bunch, particularly if you're going to spend hours on your feet riding every single day for an endeavor like this. This could be one's best bet prioritizing comfort, with battery mitigated by smart scheduling (do deliveries a few hours around lunchtime, charge for a bit, do deliveries again a few hours around end of work/dinnertime).
  • (I skipped a bunch of options between the 18XL/16X and V11 because I would take either the 18XL/16X or V11 over all those in between for this usage.)
  • The new T3 (spiritually the Tesla V3) is perhaps an honorable mention for this. By far the lightest option to still hit 1500Wh which has its advantages, but poorer ride quality on its skinny tire and potentially facing some of the same issues currently plaguing the RS make it probably not the best idea. But maybe. (It would be way lighter than everything else.)
Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 1

my "fall-2020" 16XS (an x with 1/2 the battery) hasn't had any water issues riding *after* the rain and in the snow with a Roll.nz cover. I've been too timid to try it in a downpour because I can't accept either the safety risk (reduced visibility) or possible water problems. I did read that the headlight and light sensor module is where water used to get in, and that there are ways to lessen the risk (tape on the outside, silicone on the inside) but haven't opened the wheel for a look. It does seem that water issues aren't being reported as much on the later generations of the 16X, at least in my reading but you should investigate.

Nimble
Sort of not terribly heavy
Durable
Reliable
Trolley
Range
Hill climb
Acceleration

All those boxes are checked. It's sort of a set-it-and-forget-it wheel. Not a super car or terribly exciting, but totally functional. Headroom for top end speed is lacking, you probably don't want to take it over 20-25 mph.

You can turn off "please decelerate", but it beeps a lot at startup and connection to your phone. A lot of beeping.

Edited by Tawpie

4 hours ago, P40lite said:

I checked my local marketplace. I could pick up almost new (300km) Kingsong 16x for 1100 euros. What do you think?

I'd say that's a solid deal (if it is indeed a 16X and not a 16XS) if the batteries charge to 100% and it's not super abused.

Tawpie's overview is fair, and I second that the only real concern w/ the 16X is weatherproofing if you'll be riding in the rain. (Might want to check out threads where people were talking about their own attempts/mods to improve weatherproofing.)

Edited by AtlasP

I've been doing uber eats a few hours a day using a tesla 1020wh.  Battery life is my biggest problem currently, followed by speed. I think my ideal wheel would be the sherman for deliveries.  

Edited by EUC AZ

On 1/20/2021 at 3:59 PM, EUC AZ said:

I've been doing uber eats a few hours a day using a tesla 1020wh.  Battery life is my biggest problem currently, followed by speed. I think my ideal wheel would be the sherman for deliveries.  

I think you like mushrooms :D