New Ninebot E+ received with 1.2.1 firmware. Should I upgrade?

musk

Hi Everyone,

Just took it out of the box and ninedroid says it's using 1.2.1 firmware.  That seems alot older than the numbers I've seen floating around the forum.   Is it important to update to 1.3 or is it just a risky venture without any reward?

Just now, musk said:

Hi Everyone,

Just took it out of the box and ninedroid says it's using 1.2.1 firmware.  That seems alot older than the numbers I've seen floating around the forum.   Is it important to update to 1.3 or is it just a risky venture without any reward?

Personally, I would upgrade.  I have not read yet of anyone having a failure on 1.3.  There are likely improvements included too.  I updated it before I ever started the wheel because of all the positive feedback on the forum.

Here's a radical idea.  Don't upgrade it, and offer it for sale at a premium.  There are probably members that would kill for 1.2.1.   Repurchase a new one, pocket the price difference,  and upgrade that one to 1.3.0.   :ph34r:   Sure it's a crazy idea.  Or is it?  ;)

Personally I just hit the 1000 MILE mark this week still running 1.2.2.  Fat, dumb, and happy. 

I have 1.2.1.

If I were you, I wouldn't even think of upgrading. Be happy with what you have on the wheel. You are NOT missing anything great with 1.3. Given the version upgrade cycles from Ninebot, V 1.2.1 is only a few months old. Just ride with confidence with 1.2.1. My 2 cents anyway.

Great perspectives guys!  It seems like updating firmware is a needlessly risky proposition unless there's a great must-have feature.

Just starting to make my first baby steps now, moving down a long carpeted hallway and trying not to touch the walls.

1 hour ago, musk said:

Great perspectives guys!  It seems like updating firmware is a needlessly risky proposition unless there's a great must-have feature.

Just starting to make my first baby steps now, moving down a long carpeted hallway and trying not to touch the walls.

Good deal, @musk !  Experience has shown us that whenever you update the firmware you must treat the Ninebot as if it were a different unicycle and absolutely throw any trust you have developed in it out the window and start over.  You just don't know what it's going to do.  You must suit up in your protective gear and take it very easy as you try out what you got.  Emergency room visits have not been uncommon after an update, not to mention *dead* unicycles and the joy of dealing with customer service.  So far I have avoided this by sticking with v1.2.2.  I simply don't know what I'm missing.  

1 hour ago, SuperSport said:

There's all kinds of new stuff...   

Jet Pack Mode

Oil Slick

Machine Guns

and more that I cannot tell you, or I'd have to keel you. :ph34r:

Bluetooth music streaming would have been a nice touch.  If only the bot had speakers!

26 minutes ago, dpong said:

Bluetooth music streaming would have been a nice touch.  If only the bot had speakers!

I haven't opened mine yet, but I bet there's room in there to add it.  If I get around to it, I just might do that.  I've got an extra Rechargeable Bluetooth Boombox I could spare.

Or, even easier, just mount the Boom Box on the Camera Mount???  Hmmm...

Too Ghetto?

The point is that there is no way they added bluetooth speaker support with a freaking firmware upgrade.  The firmware upgrades, which are sometimes dangerous, do not generally add much functionality to the already fun riding ability.  Those urging caution with firmware upgrades are generally speaking, correct.  

I bless your speaker mount, however.  Whenever you can trip back to the Eighties, I think you should definitely do that.  I know I would.  Except for disco.  Other than that, though, I would. 

What I've noticed when upgrading from 1.2.1 is I can ride much faster (up to 25 km/h) and keep the maximum speed stable easier (still don't know why Ninebot need to tilt back, it should just go 25 km/h and doesn't allow to accelerate without tilting back or something). 

I think the best software is 1.2.7, but two days ago I've updated my bot to 1.3 as well, hoping it will solve another issue, but no luck.

The only thing I'm afraid of is the "slow mode":

20 hours ago, Compuatic said:

I've had no issues with 1.3 other than the very annoying low speed safety mode that comes on at 30% battery

In that case the range they advertise is simply a lie, because we all know that riding comfortably more than 20 km is nearly impossible, and now the comfortable range will be even shorter, as the bot will slow down earlier.

Battery swap is not really convenient as it takes few minutes.

I was hoping the P model would be better, but it's only faster.

Anyway I would go back to 1.2.7 if possible, but not to 1.2.1.

Riding 1.2.2 has the slower speed safety mode also at 30% battery.  I don't think that is a new feature.  Having face planted riding an Airwheel X8 on low battery, I appreciate this safety feature.  It is there for a reason.  Yes, too bad about the somewhat exaggerated range.   I rode my E+ for 17.5 miles on a charge once, but of course the last little bit was speed limited, but it did let me ride that far. 

The low speed mode is absolutely annoying. I started with a full charge on a ride yesterday. At the 11 mile marl the "slow mode" kicked in and i snail paced back to the car even thought the chinglish app still says "It can still drive 6 miles". Seems overly conservative. 

The reality is that lithium technology isn't all that mysterious. A proper BMS / firmware combination should safely predict low battery and become conservative around the 10% mark not 30%. Up until slow mode however the E+ has been an absolute joy and I do have the 1.3FW upgrade installed.

For me, I don't really mind it.  Hit it yesterday on a 13 mile ride.  I'd rather be going slow if it is indeed going to dump me on my face.  It only limited me to about 6-10 MPH, and I can live with that.  At around 10% it was about 3-6 MPH.  I'm guessing, but fairly accurate.  Still better than walking it home.

My DJI Phantom warns me pretty early too.  Better to get warned early than crash land a $1200 Drone.

Just opened my E+ that I just got, it's N2O serial, and 1.2.1 shows on Ninebot app.

I'll just leave it as is, as I'm not gonna ride it for at least a month anyway, hopefully I can hold it. Need to get better on riding the universal cheap euc I have, and hiding the Ninebot for now from wifey, when she see it next month, it's pretty close to my birthday, so I'll have that as an excuse, LOL.

A question, is both ninebot app and ninedroid necessary, or just a matter of preference?

On 12/15/2015 at 11:11 PM, SlowMo said:

There are already 3 reported malfunctions. Beware.

Hey!  Don't go spreading panic like that!  LOL

Post more information to support your statement.  I have not heard of any issues on 1.3 reported here.  Both of my Ninebots are running it with no issues as well.  

4 hours ago, Cranium said:

Hey!  Don't go spreading panic like that!  LOL

Post more information to support your statement.  I have not heard of any issues on 1.3 reported here.  Both of my Ninebots are running it with no issues as well.  

It seems that you haven't read the reports. If you are lucky with your Ninebot then good for you. There are thousands of Ninebot users and you are just one of them.

Archived