How do I send email

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, JLS said:

Yup, same issue here. trying to connect to someone selling an EUC but can't because the forum settings don't allow me to send a message. seem counter to the interest at hand here, no? thanks for any help enabling my ability to send a message directly to another member!

In the age of internet, if we don't have these safeguards in place, the entire site would be counter-intuitive. I could only imagine how many bots have knocked on these doors over the last couple years. Its a pain in the ass, but the alternative is catastrophic. The forum makes ZERO revenue thru the 'for sale' ads btw. Assisting in the sales of unicycles isnt really the primary interest for this group.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, JLS said:

Yup, same issue here. trying to connect to someone selling an EUC but can't because the forum settings don't allow me to send a message. seem counter to the interest at hand here, no? thanks for any help enabling my ability to send a message directly to another member!

You can send PMs now.

Sorry, these new member restrictions are dumb, but without them people would get spam messages left and right. The current restrictions are about the minimum that works. Every time we try to relax something, we learn why that something has been put into place:mellow:

• Like 2

thank you for allowing my PMs. i do understand both sides of the issue. but i can't help but wonder if there isn't another better "test" to determine who is a person and who is a bot? 

also, regarding the earlier post from ShanesPlanet i think even if the forum "for sale" area is a low priority, it is worth noting that it is what brought me into the community and might likely be an entry point for others as well. i would think adding membership is a goal of the forum and, if true, the 'for sale" area might not be thought of as such a low priority after all.

3 hours ago, JLS said:

thank you for allowing my PMs. i do understand both sides of the issue. but i can't help but wonder if there isn't another better "test" to determine who is a person and who is a bot? 

also, regarding the earlier post from ShanesPlanet i think even if the forum "for sale" area is a low priority, it is worth noting that it is what brought me into the community and might likely be an entry point for others as well. i would think adding membership is a goal of the forum and, if true, the 'for sale" area might not be thought of as such a low priority after all.

dont need to be a bot to scam people lol.... easy for anyone to make a fake account, grab some pics off google and then try to sell an euc they dont have... most forums with any kind of sale section do this in some way

• Like 2

Yep it's not bots, just people advertising their fake passports/counterfeit money/fake language certificates/fake diplomas/sex dolls/whatever, or people trying to sneakily place SEO links while looking like innocuous posters. Fake sales posts don't happen, EUCs are way to niche of a topic for that to happen.

It's not super bad or anything, banning is quick and easy (these people spend more time setting up their crap that nobody but the mods will ever see than we spend getting rid of them, which can be done in one very satisfying click). But this spammy background noise that means we need to have some kind of minimal plausibility check if someone new is a "real" interested poster before they can be let loose. Restrictions go away quickly (as you have seen, I didn't do anything extra) but a new member isn't immediately unlimited.

The "private sales" forum is how a lot of people get here, and it is extremely frustrating for us to see new people who could really benefit from being able to send private messages right away, but they're exactly those who can't. That's the worst about the restrictions. There's no way around it unfortunately. At least we didn't find one.

(Btw we don't regard "private sales" as low priority, on the contrary it's a big new entry point for potential riders and forum members.)

Anyways, welcome to the forum!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2021 at 8:31 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

Yep it's not bots, just people advertising their fake passports/counterfeit money/fake language certificates/fake diplomas/sex dolls/whatever, or people trying to sneakily place SEO links while looking like innocuous posters. Fake sales posts don't happen, EUCs are way to niche of a topic for that to happen.

It's not super bad or anything, banning is quick and easy (these people spend more time setting up their crap that nobody but the mods will ever see than we spend getting rid of them, which can be done in one very satisfying click). But this spammy background noise that means we need to have some kind of minimal plausibility check if someone new is a "real" interested poster before they can be let loose. Restrictions go away quickly (as you have seen, I didn't do anything extra) but a new member isn't immediately unlimited.

The "private sales" forum is how a lot of people get here, and it is extremely frustrating for us to see new people who could really benefit from being able to send private messages right away, but they're exactly those who can't. That's the worst about the restrictions. There's no way around it unfortunately. At least we didn't find one.

(Btw we don't regard "private sales" as low priority, on the contrary it's a big new entry point for potential riders and forum members.)

Anyways, welcome to the forum!

I am also trying to pm about a sale I have not been active on the site for quite some time. But I promise I’m not a bot...or is that what all bots say lol

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi @Saul I spoke to you briefly today (Sat 5th) about your EUC outside our leisure centre, it would be good to catch up properly so I can show you my S18 and compare, I understand the restrictions on sending private messages and spam etc so hopefully this gets to you, otherwise with luck we will bump into each other again.

• Like 2

On 4/6/2021 at 7:04 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

All the bots say that:P You should be able to PM now.

Any chance you could help me out? I get the restrictions and all, content moderation/spam reduction isn't easy. I've been a lurker for about 6-7 months now and seen a wheel for sale I want to pm about so signed up recently only to find out I can't 😭 I'd hate to miss out on it because I didn't sign up sooner.

4 minutes ago, spitfire1337 said:

Any chance you could help me out? I get the restrictions and all, content moderation/spam reduction isn't easy. I've been a lurker for about 6-7 months now and seen a wheel for sale I want to pm about so signed up recently only to find out I can't 😭 I'd hate to miss out on it because I didn't sign up sooner.

You need 2 posts to be able to pm. So post something, anything & even write down 'posting to up my post count'. You're almost there so keep it up

Just now, Scottie888 said:

You need 2 posts to be able to pm. So post something, anything & even write down 'posting to up my post count'. You're almost there so keep it up

Oh, Well then, consider this post #2 thanks for the heads up 😁 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scottie888 said:

is it not +10 total reputation still?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Scottie888 said:

Is it? My bad if that's so. I thought it was just 2 but waddaiknow. @meepmeepmayer can answer this for all our sakes 😅

It's just a small hurdle - @spitfire1337 can send by now. Maybe just the forum software needs some time to update.

I hesitate a bit to "reveal" the exact requirements as this would be the recipy for spammers how to overcome this and we would have to increase the requirements.. :(

Although i doubt very much spammers invest time reading here...

• Like 2

If you are "Members" instead of "Newest Members", you can send PMs, post without approval, etc. Also you notice when that happens anyways. Happens very fast usually.

You see which group you are in to the left of your post under your picture (Desktop) or on your user profile (Mobile I guess you can't directly see it otherwise).

6 hours ago, spitfire1337 said:

seen a wheel for sale I want to pm about so signed up recently only to find out I can't 😭 I'd hate to miss out on it because I didn't sign up sooner.

I know, sorry, the site staff HATES this fact especially - new members should be able to inquire about used wheels unimpeded and right away! Every second counts! What is the forum for, after all!

Unfortunately the alternative is worse (spam, spam PMs) unless you like fake passport or sex doll ads galore. We tried it, there doesn't seem to be a way around it: some minimal plausibility/good faith test is needed for new accounts. Unnecessary delays for new members, just when they don't need that, is the (sad and frustrating) cost:cry2:

• Like 1