TG-T3 2nd Battery

Restless

Hey guys.

I got my TG-T3 a couple weeks ago and i f***ing love it :D

The only downside is the Range (sometimes the speed, but i think its safer for me a bit slower ´) i get around 4-5km out of th 132wh Battery thats not enough.

I read a couple threads about external or internal upgrades / mods etc.

I wann go with the Battery in Parallel version. But i have some questions.

Can i combine Batteries with different kind of Amps. I would like to combine my 132wh with this 174Wh battery (http://www.banggood.com/2900mAh-Electric-Unicycle-Battery-18650-16S-Lithium-Ion-Battery-60V-p-1006976.html)

That one has 2900mah and mine has 2200mah per cell.

Is that possible or will it make some nice fireworks?

For the 174Wh Battery pack, does someone know if it has build in BMS with OverCurrent Protection?

Are there some other known sources for battery-packs? Its pretty hard to find some :/

Kai

Since you're in Germany, you could contact @1RadWerkstatt directly to get custom packs with high quality cells (for example 3500mAh LG MJ1, although those are probably the most expensive). Don't know the prices, but at least you wouldn't have to worry about the cells being bad quality and have domestic warranty.

At least @zlymex (and I think hobby16 back in the day) have mentioned that batteries with different capacities can be placed in parallel. Just make sure they're near enough each others' voltage when connecting them for the first time... if there's a voltage difference, the "fuller" battery will begin to charge the "emptier" battery, and that can lead to fireworks in the worst case. If there's a large voltage difference between the packs, and the resistance of the cells is fairly low (around 20milliohms per cell?), the "charging" current can get pretty high....

As the 174Wh battery pack has charge and discharge wires, it could have a BMS build in. But its not mentioned in the description - so ask the seller?

it's no prob to combine batteries of different capacitance, but as @esajwrote while connecting it can give some fireworks/overcurrent protection cut-off if there is too much voltage difference!

As your original pack seems to be in a bad shape you should think of replacing it completely. Or try to rebalance the single cells/replace the bad cells of the pack.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/10/2015 at 0:50 AM, esaj said:

Since you're in Germany, you could contact @1RadWerkstatt directly to get custom packs with high quality cells (for example 3500mAh LG MJ1, although those are probably the most expensive). Don't know the prices, but at least you wouldn't have to worry about the cells being bad quality and have domestic warranty.

At least @zlymex (and I think hobby16 back in the day) have mentioned that batteries with different capacities can be placed in parallel. Just make sure they're near enough each others' voltage when connecting them for the first time... if there's a voltage difference, the "fuller" battery will begin to charge the "emptier" battery, and that can lead to fireworks in the worst case. If there's a large voltage difference between the packs, and the resistance of the cells is fairly low (around 20milliohms per cell?), the "charging" current can get pretty high....

does the existing mAh in the wheel matters if i want to add (via parallel) a new batt pack with a 3500mAh?

On 1/6/2016 at 4:03 AM, uniler said:

What Do you mean by balancing the cells @Chriull ?

Only attempt this if you are Absolutely Positive you know what you are doing.  But Balancing involves charging each individual cell inside the battery pack to the same voltage.  In my case, I'm rebalancing a TG F3 pack and I'm bringing all the cells to 4.1 volts.  Then, I'll plug the normal Unicycle charger into it to finish the charge and re-check the voltages of each cell.  And, on occasion, I'll re-check them again.

Keeping them balanced will make the pack last longer, both in each ride, and also in lifetime.

My pack came unbalanced from the factory, so I was sent a brand new replacement.  I'm going to get the old one balanced and see if I can fit it into the case in parallel.  It's tight in there though.  If only I could move the motherboard up under the handle, but then it would be lying the wrong direction, and I don't know yet if I did a calibration whether it would use the new layout or not.  I guess I could try, and if not, then put it back.  The TG F3 is rated for 15 Miles.  I really doubt that's accurate, but doubling whatever it really is would be nice.

Archived