New wheel torque

Azazel

Ive been riding my first wheel (ks16x) for about a year and im ready for more power/speed/range. One of the main reasons i bought the 16x instead of some of the other choices at the time was the low end torque. I live in Washington heights and there are some very steep hills. Especially (if you know you know) getting out of riverside park at 181st street. Im considering the sherman (i like the high range) and i heard the new firmware has improved the low end torque. Waiting for the gotway rs, ex is another option. Im wondering how torque on these wheels compare since the wheels are significantly bigger. I know (almost) no ones ridden those upcoming gotway models but maybe if anyone could shed some light as to the torque on the msx, msp vs the 16x. Thanks

more range than KS16x? Does it not possess approx 100KM range? @Marty Backe has several vids testing wheels on Overheat Hill which has lead to several wheels dying mid run. You may want to check out his channel:

https://www.youtube.com/c/ElectricUnicycles/videos

I sold my 16x to try the MSP-t in hopes of getting more torque, I was not blown away by the power difference between the two but the MSP did have better top end speed, I've since sold the MSP and I'd be lying if I said that I didn't have thoughts of going back to the 16x, speed and range was good for me and I just liked the way it felt and handled.

1 hour ago, RetroThruster said:

I sold my 16x to try the MSP-t in hopes of getting more torque, I was not blown away by the power difference between the two but the MSP did have better top end speed, I've since sold the MSP and I'd be lying if I said that I didn't have thoughts of going back to the 16x, speed and range was good for me and I just liked the way it felt and handled.

Wow that i did not expect

4 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Wow that i did not expect

One should not compare the torque of a 16-inch wheel (16X) to that of an 18-inch wheel (MSP). Of course the 16X will feel nearly the same in terms of low-end power. And the 14-inch MCM5 will blow the doors off of the 16X.

Apples should be compared to apples :)

1 hour ago, RetroThruster said:

The fact is the MSP is substantially faster than the KS16X and it gets progressively faster (in comparison) as the battery level decreases. The MSP arguably provides a more comfortable ride because of its larger diameter wheel.

Yet depending on ones use case, the KS16X may be a better wheel and be perceived as more comfortable.

I myself prefer the 16X for trail usage or when I need to squeeze out the most miles from one charge. The MSP is preferred over my 16X for the road and rough trails because of the larger diameter tire and steeper pedals.

• 3 months later...
On 9/30/2020 at 1:41 AM, Marty Backe said:

One should not compare the torque of a 16-inch wheel (16X) to that of an 18-inch wheel (MSP). Of course the 16X will feel nearly the same in terms of low-end power. And the 14-inch MCM5 will blow the doors off of the 16X.

Apples should be compared to apples 

I see this post while searching for the torque of the RS "hight torque" which is surprisingly not communicated !

I dont' see any reason why we should'nt compare the torque of those wheels . The torque related to the motor that's all . The torque of a 16X is 160 N.m .  The question asked is very relevant because the higher the torque the easier it is to go up hill . The true fact is the force exercised at the level of the road . This force is the Torque divided by the radius of the wheel . That is the reason why it is better to compare force at road level  instead of torque .

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LE DU said:

I see this post while searching for the torque of the RS "hight torque" which is surprisingly not communicated !

I dont' see any reason why we should'nt compare the torque of those wheels . The torque related to the motor that's all . The torque of a 16X is 160 N.m .  The question asked is very relevant because the higher the torque the easier it is to go up hill . The true fact is the force exercised at the level of the road . This force is the Torque divided by the radius of the wheel . That is the reason why it is better to compare force at road level  instead of torque .

There is a very understandable misunderstanding about torque and its relation to acceleration or climbing uphill. On almost any other vehicle the relation is straight forward and simple. On an EUC you basically never use all the torque. If you stayed upright you didn't run out of torque. The size of the tire has the same function as gears on bicycles. And the contact point on the ground affects the feeling of responsiveness, the amount you have to lean. Especially on a hill. The topic is quite heated and has been discussed a lot over here. There's no simple answer to this. It's a combination of several functions. It's not even clear how people use the words. The simple torque number of the motor is just not enough to know how the wheel feels and climbs. 

• Like 2