Full charged battery - Owners of the Sherman

e-Vibez

24 minutes ago, e-Vibez said:

Hey guys

This is a question to other owners of the Veteran Sherman

Does your wheel fully charge to 100V? 

Mine doesn’t go above 99.6. Is it working as intended or is this a minor flaw? 

Thanks for the response

It does show 99.6V.

The difference between 100.8V and 99.6V is 1.2V absolut or 1% relative. I would not expect a voltmeter with much better accuracy build into an EUC.

Second point is the charger - the wheel can only load up to (almost) the no load charger voltage.

I would not expect the charge to be calibrated with much better accuracy.

To get a relevant first digit after the point of the voltage readings one would need a voltmeter with an accuracy of better than 0.1%... :(

Or if one "just" has some normal voltmeter one can compare two wheels - short time stability is good enough to get a valid comparison between two voltages.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, e-Vibez said:

Hey guys

This is a question to other owners of the Veteran Sherman

Does your wheel fully charge to 100V? 

Mine doesn’t go above 99.6. Is it working as intended or is this a minor flaw? 

Thanks for the response

My demo would charge to 99.5-volts   My production wheel charges to 99.8-volts.  I know people where it goes a little above 100-volts.

I wouldn't worry about. It's close enough :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

My demo would charge to 99.5-volts   My production wheel charges to 99.8-volts.  I know people where it goes a little above 100-volts.

How bad for the battery is it if you fully charge it to the max and then the braking regen tries to charge it more? Would this only be a real issue if you fully charged it and then went on some hilly riding or would regular stop and go riding do enough cause damage to the cells? 

Edited by MrRobot
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, MrRobot said:

How bad for the battery is it if you fully charge it to the max and then the braking regen tries to charge it more? Would this only be a real issue if you fully charged it and then went on some hilly riding or would regular stop and go riding do enough cause damage to the cells? 

This is a well know issue. All wheels will tilt-back and kick you off the wheel if the batteries are full and the regeneratively charge the wheels. People that live on the top of hills usually don't fully charge their wheels for that reason. It's not going to damage the batteries because the wheel is designed to protect itself.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

This is a well know issue. All wheels will tilt-back and kick you off the wheel if the batteries are full and the regeneratively charge the wheels. People that live on the top of hills usually don't fully charge their wheels for that reason. It's not going to damage the batteries because the wheel is designed to protect itself.

Just out of curiosity what battery level did yours come shipped? 

On 9/14/2020 at 1:27 PM, Marty Backe said:

Mine charges to 100.55 volts. I have one of the earlier production batches that have the really soft pedal mode and turns on when unplugged from charger — both features I actually really like. 

• 1 year later...
3 minutes ago, Eric plam said:

To follow up on this topic, my Sherman charges up to 99.1V and 96% in euc world.. 

Normal?

Quite some time passed and some new motherboard and firmware versions happened.

However - Shermann was (?is?) the only wheel without a 100% range at the "top".

To avoid concerned customers most manufacturers Ccall some 4.11x - 4.2V range 100%! That's almost 10% of the cells usable range...

And as written before (100.8-99.1)/100.8 is just~1.7% error shown plus maybe delivered from the charger...

6 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

@Chriull i know we are losing a bit of range. Is this setup easier on the Batteries? 

I don't see a specific setup - the sherman has some inaccuracy showing the voltage as the charger has with the delivered voltage. In any combination!

The wheel just not showing enough just leads to a bit lower range but is otherwise irrelevant beside allowing heftier overcharges going down declines.

The real lower voltage by a charger delivering a bit less should stress the cells a bit less, but in this range presumably not really noticable.

• Like 1